• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A preseason perspective from a reliable insider

Santana8907

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This is from a guy called GatorGary on our rivals network site. He's been a reliable insider for our rivals site for years now, and his opinion has always been valued among that community. He used to have more sources within the coaching staff, which he's lost now. But he still has some pretty good info to give out to us. Enjoy.

"DISCLAIMER ? the “opinions” expressed herein are mine alone and are not to considered “inside information”. While I no longer have highly placed sources on the staff as I once did, I do have some other sources close to the program and/or certain recruits. However, to be perfectly clear, unless I specifically say the information comes from a source, the information is my opinion, so take it for what it worth. For those of you that do not like my opinions, please move on for there is nothing to see here. The foregoing was for those critics that contend that I am trying to pass off my opinions as “inside information”.
Well, its finally time for another Gator football season. We haven’t had such low national expectations since Meyer’s first year. I personally welcome the low expectations from all the talking heads and so-called experts. I honestly believe the 2011 Gators will be better than advertised. No, I’m not predicting any championships, however, I expect us to contend for the SEC East up until the showdown with USCe. Who knows, a key injury or two to the Cocks might open the door for the Gators.
I fully expect us to win a game or two we are supposed to lose, most likely FSU and/or Bama. I also expect us to drop a game we should probably have won, either Auburn or UGA. In the end I think we will finish 9-3 and the runner-up to USCe in the East. We will go bowling in Florida at one of the Capital One, Outback or Gator Bowls.
There has been a lot of speculation about Brantley and what he will bring to the table this year. I have a source that is very close to Coach Weis who has told me the following:
1. He honestly believes that Brantley is the most talented College QB he has coached. My source asked him if he had seen Brantley’s performance in 2010. Weis said he watched tapes of all the 2010 games before he accepted the job and attributes nearly all of Brantley’s failure to scheme, lack of protection and horrendous play calling. Weis was particularly horrified by the “strategy” at the end of the year of bringing Brantley in on third and long. That told the defense that they should pin their ears back and rush the immobile QB who undoubtedly was only going to throw. Pressure him quickly and he would not have time to look down field and he would always throw to the safety valve well short of the first down.
2. The play calling was unimaginative and predictable.
3. Brantley has caught on to the new system very quickly and his main concern is whether the after effects of last year will resurface if Brantley is placed under duress. That is the main reason Weis will be on the sideline is to keep Brantley from imploding if and when adversity strikes.
4. He loves Thompson’s leadership and work ethics. He does not like his hands. If drops occur during a game there will be a short leash. BTW, Thompson has been working extremely hard to eliminate the drops.
5. He is actually giddy when he talks about Rainey and Demps. He expects at least one homerun per game from that duo, more than likely from a draw play if the passing game is working.
6. He has been pleasantly surprised with the OL. From watching the game films of last year he had assumed they would be a weakness. Once he settles on a starting five and they can build chemistry he expects them to a team strength. The shuffling on the OL hasn't been due to the fact that he can’t find 5 good enough to start, it is because he has 9-10 that are all good enough to get the start.
7. He expects Jordan Reed to absolutely embarrass most every LB in the SEC. His size, speed and hands make him a formidable weapon that will be exploited frequently. If opponents try to cover him with a DB he will hurt someone. If he could only block.
8. Speaking of blocking, it is not Mack Brown’s running that is keeping him off the field, it his deficiency in pass blocking, particularly in picking up the blitz that will keep him on the sidelines. It is frustrating for Weis that the little guys (Rainey and Demps) can pick up the blitz and Brown can’t.
9. He intends to protect Brantley as much as he can. Given time, he thinks Brantley is as accurate as Brady Quinn and Clausen ever were. (pretty high praise in my opinion)
10. The two TE formation will be used to protect Brantley until and unless the OL can demonstrate that they can do so with both of the TE on the field.
11. He loves to take shots down field. Even if they do not hit, it loosens up the defense for the running game.
12. Keeping in mind that Weis has never had a self doubt problem, he expects the Gators to either lead the SEC in offense or be very near the top.
The reason I expect this year’s team to be better than last year is that I think the defense will be very good and get better every game. Once the young starters get a little SEC experience, they will flourish in Muschamp’s attacking defensive scheme. The front seven, barring multiple and crucial injuries, should be better than last year and help ease the growing pains of an extremely young, yet talented, secondary. We have had recent experience with freshmen CB who acquitted themselves quite well, i.e. Haden and Jenkins. From observers I have spoken with, they claim that Robinson, at this point, is better than both. We will certainly miss Black, however, in my opinion Will Hill will be easy to replace.
Whether the offense is the best in the SEC or not, how can they possibly be worse than last year? The play calling alone will result in a better and more efficient offense. I expect opposing DC will spend a little more time preparing for Weis’ offense that for the Dazzler’s.
This year has an eerie feeling for me like 2006. No, I am not predicting a NC, however, just like in 2006 we have a daunting SEC schedule (which included a game at Auburn and LSU and a home game against Bama), a highly recruited freshman QB in the wings (actually 2 of them), a questionable offense led by a senior QB that has not yet lived up to original expectations and low national expectations. Just like in 2006 how we run the “gauntlet” will be the key to our season.
Don’t expect Saturday to provide a whole lot of answers to the many questions surrounding this team. It may not be until we face Bama at the beginning of October that some of the questions will be answered.
Trust me, we are on the cusp of another glorious age of Gator football. Recruiting could hardly be going any better. Diggs is all but in the fold and there are others that the staff feels good enough about to turn away certain 4 star recruits that have attempted to commit. I do not yet have permission to reveal their identities in case it becomes necessary to allow them to commit later as a backup plan. Them or their relatives may be reading this forum and no one likes to be referred to as a “backup plan”. As the real targets commit I will be free to tell you who tried to commit in vain. The most I can tell you is to think OL and DL.
As always, it is Great to be a Florida Gator. See you in Gville on Saturday!"

Last edited by a moderator:

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Weis never has great OLines. Combine that with some inexperience on this year's gators line and that's troublesome. I wish nothing but luck for Brantley but I hope they dont just flounder with him if he isnt getting the job done. Let driskell play and learn for the future.