• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A Possible Plan for a 100 game season

IronJaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With a short season, eliminate the divisions in each league and go with a straight winner takes all - the AL and NL teams that win the most games go straight to the World Series - no playoffs. The 100-game season is the playoff. And eliminate the inter-league games due to the short season.

Of course...that's the way baseball did things prior to 1969.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this happens, I’m gonna go ahead and predict one batter hits .400

nynasty

nynasty
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,181.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seeing a poll that something like 70% of fans say they won't attend a game until there's a vaccine.

Which last i heard was still a year away.

:L

Ron G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every day there is an item on possibly playing in Florida and Arizona. It includes quarantining the players and social distancing on the bench while playing. I was listening to some news on this with file video of the Diamondbacks in spring training playing.
It occurred to me that would not the ball potentially spread the virus. Pitchers touch their face after almost every pitch.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ccording to Ken Rosenthal and Evan Drellich of The Athletic, Major League Baseball might ask players to accept further reductions in pay if games are played this year without fans.
MLB owners and the MLBPA reached an agreement back in late March that shelled out $170 million in advance pay to essentially cover prorated player salaries for April and May, but the two sides will need to reconvene soon to address further compensation. And a lack of ticket sales could change the terms going forward. Rosenthal and Drellich note that the league "has yet to make a proposal to the players’ union on the subject," but New York Governor Andrew Cuomo appeared on CNN on Wednesday night and referenced a recent conversation with Mets COO Jeff Wilpon about potential salary cuts should games be played with zero paid attendance. It sounds like that element of the negotiations could get rather ugly.

nynasty

nynasty
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,181.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ccording to Ken Rosenthal and Evan Drellich of The Athletic, Major League Baseball might ask players to accept further reductions in pay if games are played this year without fans.
MLB owners and the MLBPA reached an agreement back in late March that shelled out $170 million in advance pay to essentially cover prorated player salaries for April and May, but the two sides will need to reconvene soon to address further compensation. And a lack of ticket sales could change the terms going forward. Rosenthal and Drellich note that the league "has yet to make a proposal to the players’ union on the subject," but New York Governor Andrew Cuomo appeared on CNN on Wednesday night and referenced a recent conversation with Mets COO Jeff Wilpon about potential salary cuts should games be played with zero paid attendance. It sounds like that element of the negotiations could get rather ugly.

Normally would be out of the question, but if the MLBPA declines while millions are filing for unemployment, well, that's not gonna be a good look.

If nothing else, can't these clubs defer $$ to the back-ends of the contracts? I have to think the players want to play.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Normally would be out of the question, but if the MLBPA declines while millions are filing for unemployment, well, that's not gonna be a good look.

If nothing else, can't these clubs defer $$ to the back-ends of the contracts? I have to think the players want to play.

While I agree most want to play. The prospect of not seeing their families for 4 months while just playing games in the Arizona heat then going back to their isolated hotel while taking even more of a pay cut isn’t the most appealing thing ethier.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I agree most want to play. The prospect of not seeing their families for 4 months while just playing games in the Arizona heat then going back to their isolated hotel while taking even more of a pay cut isn’t the most appealing thing ethier.
Yeah I've been wondering if anyone has addressed the fact that those spring training fields are great in February and March but I think a lot of those places in Arizona get up to 105 degrees in June and July. But with no fans they could probably play multiple games a day at the indoor stadium and play some of the other games in the morning or late night.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I've been wondering if anyone has addressed the fact that those spring training fields are great in February and March but I think a lot of those places in Arizona get up to 105 degrees in June and July. But with no fans they could probably play multiple games a day at the indoor stadium and play some of the other games in the morning or late night.

Heat will definitely suck out there. But atleast it’s dry heat. I can’t imagine them playing in Florida in July and August during the day. That’s humidity hell down there. Still both ends of the country suck during July and August for heat.

But somethings better than nothing.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heat will definitely suck out there. But atleast it’s dry heat. I can’t imagine them playing in Florida in July and August during the day. That’s humidity hell down there. Still both ends of the country suck during July and August for heat.

But somethings better than nothing.
Yeah, no doubt. We're just watching it on tv anyway.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, no doubt. We're just watching it on tv anyway.

Very true, an I honestly hope a couple of big networks (nbc/cbs) pick up some rights so there are multiple games on and not just local teams. That content would be very valuable if it happens.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That would be exceptionally short sighted of the players and eventually cost them money

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very true, an I honestly hope a couple of big networks (nbc/cbs) pick up some rights so there are multiple games on and not just local teams. That content would be very valuable if it happens.
Yeah, any kind of live sports will probably be appreciated