• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A new winning era

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or so as the title goes.

I feel confident in saying that it's pretty much universally agreed the Good Guys have the makings of not only a championship caliber team, but also one that can finally, once and for all, make consecutive postseason runs. We're not there yet, but fortunately, Hahn and co are well aware of our present shortcomings. IMHO, the following must be addressed in order to truly compete with the big dawgs and do so on an annual basis:

1. Shore up our rotation
2. Obtain a quality, preferably lefty bat for RF, who would either be a full time starter or at least platoon with the ever improving Engel
3. Get better production from the DH

Far and away the #1 priority is the rotation. Despite the "potential" from our youngins, we simply don't have enough proven arms from 1-5 that would carry us deep into any playoff scenario. Maybe in a couple of years, but in '21? '22? Not so sure. Therefore, Hahn must acquire a proven veteran arm, possibly two, for us to make a serious run next season.

#2 & #3 are interchangeable with respect to importance, altho combined don't equate with #1. As some of us feared from the outset, the Mazara trade turned out to be pretty much worthless. I love Engel, but I'm not comfortable having him exclusively holding down the fort in right - defensively yes, that's a no brainer. But stick-wise, while he's improved a lot since first joining the team, it doesn't scream every day worthiness. As far as DH goes, note I said productivity. While it's possible this can be filled internally, my guess is Hahn will search outside. Had there been a full minor league season this year, I probably would be predicting the promotion of Vaughn to the parent roster. And who knows, he may kill it in ST to prove he belongs. But I'm suspecting at least part of next year, if not the entire, he'll be playing for Charlotte.

Could we improve the pen and/or the bench? Of course, but I don't see an urgency in either category here that equals the importance of the top three needs. What sayeth my fellow diehards?

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or so as the title goes.

I feel confident in saying that it's pretty much universally agreed the Good Guys have the makings of not only a championship caliber team, but also one that can finally, once and for all, make consecutive postseason runs. We're not there yet, but fortunately, Hahn and co are well aware of our present shortcomings. IMHO, the following must be addressed in order to truly compete with the big dawgs and do so on an annual basis:

1. Shore up our rotation
2. Obtain a quality, preferably lefty bat for RF, who would either be a full time starter or at least platoon with the ever improving Engel
3. Get better production from the DH

Far and away the #1 priority is the rotation. Despite the "potential" from our youngins, we simply don't have enough proven arms from 1-5 that would carry us deep into any playoff scenario. Maybe in a couple of years, but in '21? '22? Not so sure. Therefore, Hahn must acquire a proven veteran arm, possibly two, for us to make a serious run next season.

#2 & #3 are interchangeable with respect to importance, altho combined don't equate with #1. As some of us feared from the outset, the Mazara trade turned out to be pretty much worthless. I love Engel, but I'm not comfortable having him exclusively holding down the fort in right - defensively yes, that's a no brainer. But stick-wise, while he's improved a lot since first joining the team, it doesn't scream every day worthiness. As far as DH goes, note I said productivity. While it's possible this can be filled internally, my guess is Hahn will search outside. Had there been a full minor league season this year, I probably would be predicting the promotion of Vaughn to the parent roster. And who knows, he may kill it in ST to prove he belongs. But I'm suspecting at least part of next year, if not the entire, he'll be playing for Charlotte.

Could we improve the pen and/or the bench? Of course, but I don't see an urgency in either category here that equals the importance of the top three needs. What sayeth my fellow diehards?
pretty much agree. pitching is no.1, even if they did nothing else at all! what concerns me is the manager. they have always taken the cheap route. or hired (cheap) insiders. i'm afraid they may be tempted by aj or guillan ... or even 76 year old larussa! if they're serious they go with hinch! pay him what he's worth and let's go to the w.s..

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
pretty much agree. pitching is no.1, even if they did nothing else at all! what concerns me is the manager. they have always taken the cheap route. or hired (cheap) insiders. i'm afraid they may be tempted by aj or guillan ... or even 76 year old larussa! if they're serious they go with hinch! pay him what he's worth and let's go to the w.s..
You know, I probably should have listed hiring the best manager we can as a priority, but I was focusing strictly on the roster itself. But a good manager can make a difference.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goals for 2020:

Bring back Encarnacion. Enjoy .100 average and 2+ strikeout outings every other day.

Hire LaRussa. Watch Reinsdorf cackle like a witch.

Put all eggs in Kopech basket. Watch his arm fall off. When it does, trade Moncada for Sale.

Buy idseer an 80s Sox jersey. Tie all Sox luck for the season to his wearing it.

Try to avoid having richi publish 1000 word reports on how much of an idiot I am. Spoiler alert: It's gonna happen anyway.

Convince Mingo to denounce Denver and become a Bears fan for the complete ChiSox suffering experience. The Elway years obviously made him way more chill than your average Chicago fan. Not nearly frustrated and angry enough.

Get LSD to disagree with somebody on the board so hard that they call him something unmentionable. See if it breaks him.

Get msgkings to predict us last. I told you so him when we finish first.

Find a fault line right underneath Wrigley...Buy a seismograph and wait patiently.

Win the whole f*cking thing.

Churros.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Get LSD to disagree with somebody on the board so hard that they call him something unmentionable. See if it breaks him.
(In my best bad TV Greek accent) I, LSD not breakable. I'm strong like bull.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or mebbe.....just mebbe it should be called the Hahn era.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goals for 2020:

Bring back Encarnacion. Enjoy .100 average and 2+ strikeout outings every other day.

Convince Mingo to denounce Denver and become a Bears fan for the complete ChiSox suffering experience. The Elway years obviously made him way more chill than your average Chicago fan. Not nearly frustrated and angry enough.
I don't know why you would cheapen your otherwise brilliant satire - with the charge I have not suffered enough to be a true White Sox fan. If you must know - I appear chill because I live in a drug induced fantasy world caused by a lack of White Sox success on the field. The funny thing is when I read LSD - I actually have flashbacks.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know why you would cheapen your otherwise brilliant satire - with the charge I have not suffered enough to be a true White Sox fan. If you must know - I appear chill because I live in a drug induced fantasy world caused by a lack of White Sox success on the field. The funny thing is when I read LSD - I actually have flashbacks.

Counterpoint:

The Denver Broncos forum has a bunch of guys who get together the elect who the best poster was each month and then all congratulate the winner. Butt pats and high fives all around. And you guys are 2-4.

The Chicago Bears forum cannot make it one thread without somebody being destroyed on a personal level. "Idiot...Moron...Dumbass" And we're 5-2.

There's a whole 'nother level to the fire and brimstone that comes with cheering for more than 1 Chicago team.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Counterpoint:

The Denver Broncos forum has a bunch of guys who get together the elect who the best poster was each month and then all congratulate the winner. Butt pats and high fives all around. And you guys are 2-4.

The Chicago Bears forum cannot make it one thread without somebody being destroyed on a personal level. "Idiot...Moron...Dumbass" And we're 5-2.

There's a whole 'nother level to the fire and brimstone that comes with cheering for more than 1 Chicago team.
I understand completely - If someone got a puppy or a kitten the last time the Bears won the Super Bowl - those pets would be dead and buried in the back yard by now.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand completely - If someone got a puppy or a kitten the last time the Bears won the Super Bowl - those pets would be dead and buried in the back yard by now.
holy shit! what a horrible way to put it. :o

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
holy shit! what a horrible way to put it. :o

It's ok. They beat the Packers in the Super Bowl. He gets at least 3 mulligans.