• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A look back... waaaaaay Back

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
~The Pavel Bure Trade~

January 17, 1999

Thursday night, Brian Burke said he would trade Pavel Bure by either early this week or wait until the trading deadline March 23rd. Well, he avoided both those timelines today.

The deal is done. Pavel Bure is going to Florida in a seven-player deal with the Panthers.
The key component going back to Vancouver is young, rugged defenseman Ed Jovanovski. The Canucks also get goaltender Kevin Weekes, veteran Dave Gagner, tough forward Mike Brown (the 20th pick in the 1997 NHL entry draft), and the first round pick in either the year 1999 or 2000 -- Florida gets to choose. As well as Bure, the Panthers receive defenseman Bret Hedican, national junior team silver medalist Brad Ference and a 3rd round draft pick.

BURKE: "I'm pleased to announce that Pavel Bure has been traded to the Florida Panthers."

And just like that, the best player in the history of the Vancouver Canucks is now a Florida Panther. Pavel Bure, the Russian Rocket, arrived on the scene in 1989... 387 games, 226 goals, 427 points and thousands of thrills.

The Bure deal has been front and centre in Burke's mind since taking over in Vancouver, and as the Canucks stumble to a 14-23-6 record over the first half of the season, the pressure intensified to get the deal done. When it was finally done, Vancouver hockey fans were left wondering: Did the team get enough in return?

BURKE: "This trade upgrades our defence dramatically and upgrades our ability to cut down on Matty's workload somewhat. We think this guy is an outstanding young player. We think he's a real solid guy in his own end, and we think he has good two-way skill. We don't think he's just a punishing defenceman... we think he moves the puck well and shoots the puck hard. Mike's feeling was that Gagner solidifies us at the center position. Also, long-term again, if you compare this to the other offers we received, this filled both needs-- it's the best short-term deal we were offered and the best long-term deal."

MURRAY: "One of the good days in the franchise: acquiring the Russian Rocket -- Pavel Bure, Bret Hedican, Brad Ference. The hard part always when you're making this type of deal, you want to keep your young players and you want to grow that way.
This is an instant injection of enthusiasm and excitement into our building I believe."

The central figures in this deal were Pavel Bure and defenceman Ed Jovanovski. The top pick in the '94 entry draft had a brilliant rookie season leading the Panthers to the '96 Stanley Cup finals. His addition will give Vancouver one of the best young defensive corps in the NHL.

BURKE: "He's a solid, aggressive two-way defenceman. He's young, turns 23 in June. He's punishing yet he has offensive skill and a hard shot."

According to Burke, what clenched the deal was the Panthers giving up the first round draft choice in either 1999 or 2000. Also going to Vancouver is forward Dave Gagner, 6'5" forward Mike Brown (currently in junior) and top goaltending prospect Kevin Weekes, the player Burke feels could be the Canuck's goaltender of the future.

BURKE: "Kevin Weekes, we think solves our goaltending problems for the future. We think this is a goaltender who will be a starting goaltender here for a number of years. He's tearing up the IHL at this point. If you look at his record, he's 14-3 with a goals against average at just over two and three shutouts. We think he's our goaltender of the future."

Prior to making the deal Burke got the blessing of head coach Mike Keenan. Keenan had been critical of Burke for not making the deal and bringing in depth to a club which desperately needs it. With the trade now done, the pressure shifts from Burke to Keenan to turn this club around.

KEENAN: "He's a world class player, there's no question about it. It's a tough deal to look at it in the short-term basis because it's something that involves alot more than the short-term. This trade won't be evaluated now for two, three, four years from now."

What also came out on Sunday were Bure's reasons for wanting to leave Vancouver: It came down to a lack of trust on Bure's part towards the Canuck's management team... a management team which is no longer in Vancouver.

BURKE: "The management or the organization had not backed him up in the past. Specifically, he felt that when his injury was questioned by the media, he was not backed up strongly by the club and he felt that when the rumours circulated that he had demanded a new contract prior to the finals, that it was not denied rigorously enough by the management."

So the Pavel Bure saga is finally over. While the winner of this trade really won't be clear for the next couple of years, one thing that is clear is that the most exciting player in the history of this franchise is history. For the Vancouver hockey fans, it's now back to the future.

The Florida Panthers are hoping to have Pavel Bure in the line-up for Wednesday's game.

so in the long run who really wont this trade?

Im thinking its Vancouver for the sole reason of every year Jovo gave us. Pavel had good years for Florida but he eventually bolted and only made the playoffs once with him I believe only to be swept if I remember correctly.

what do you think Vancouver Fan..

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
in the long term, yes I think Vancouver won the trade.
- Jovo had his best years here. the rest of the pieces (and Dave Gagner was NOT a throw in) were ultimately replaceable peices. we got nothing in return when Jovo left.

- Bure played 3 years in Florida, was hurt for half of the time. in return, he eventually brought Igor Ulanov and bit parts from the Rangers
- lets not forget Hedican was quite useful for them for 3 yrs too. Pants got Ozolinsh back for him, though mostly an over-the-hill Ozolinsh.

issue is, while Bure was a star for them for 2 very good years, it was too short to make an impact on the team. Jovo was a key member of the core here for 5+ years.

mooger_35

my hatred for MY team clouds my judgement
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"We think he's our goaltender of the future."

hahahahah....

That alone makes me think we lost, but I'd have to say we got the edge in that deal. Although, we've had no playoff success since Pavel was in top form with us.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
wasnt he "the key to the deal" ? - lol

yeah I forget what the wording was on that was. something like that.
33 games, 2 goals, and calls it a day.
shit, even Brad Ference had more goals for Florida from that deal.

I mean.... he's a contributing member of the Canucks to this day.. :p