• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A Hypothetical Question for Hockey Fans

What would you do if your team was relocated?

• Total voters

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Basketball is a lot like football for me, I love playing it, but have a hard time watching it.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
depends on HOW the team moved. If they were totally fucked over by their owner (Minnesota North Stars), I'd probably sever ties with that team and gradually drift towards another. If it just didn't work, due to attendance, and the owner basically ran out of $$$, I would probably continue to support the team in their new location... probably for as long as the bulk of the current roster was still there.

I would still follow the NHL, as it's the best league of the best game that there is.

That's how I feel. It all depends on how they moved. My wife is a Thrashers fan (rough night in our house last night) and she is completely expecting them to move and it doesn't bother her. I guess it helps that we do not live, nor have ever lived in Atlanta.

However I will say I do choice #4 now but with some modifications:

Become a hopeless alcoholic sitting in a dark room watching evil midget pron.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's how I feel. It all depends on how they moved. My wife is a Thrashers fan (rough night in our house last night) and she is completely expecting them to move and it doesn't bother her. I guess it helps that we do not live, nor have ever lived in Atlanta.

However I will say I do choice #4 now but with some modifications:

Become a hopeless alcoholic sitting in a dark room watching evil midget pron.

... ... ... not sure what to say. :confused:

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would still follow the NHL and hockey but I dont think i would be able to completely buy in and become a diehard fan of another team. I would just follow and quietly support teams whose style of play I enjoyed watching. And Im like puckhead, I would support the WHL Vancouver Giants, probably even financially by getting season tickets since i wouldnt want another team to leave town (I think this is what psychologically happened with the canucks after the grizz left)

as for the NBA, there was talk recently that the Canucks owners were going after an NBA franchise to bring it to Vancouver and Stern was talking about regretting leaving Vancouver ... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

please stay away NBA ... keep your scrub players (who were also scrub humans) away from our fair city

naslundfan19

Boredom Savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
depends on HOW the team moved. If they were totally fucked over by their owner (Minnesota North Stars), I'd probably sever ties with that team and gradually drift towards another. If it just didn't work, due to attendance, and the owner basically ran out of $$$, I would probably continue to support the team in their new location... probably for as long as the bulk of the current roster was still there.

I would still follow the NHL, as it's the best league of the best game that there is.

This. I.E. = Seattle SuperSonics. (even though they never were my team) New team? Right now, either Tampa or Washington.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd root for the Flyers wherever they went.

If I had to follow another it would be the Red Wings

beantownmaniac

I thought growing old would take longer
Hoopla Cash
$ 304.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd become a Sabres fan so I could suffer with my buds. Can never be enough misery in the sports world. :L

Edit: Maybe the Wings also

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I had to pick a team out East maybe it would be the Flyers. They play a tough style, I would have a legitimate reason to dislike the Pens, and my rep level would go through the roof. ;)

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked the Nordiques back in the day, prolly why I favor the Avs a little.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd still follow the Sharks, but that's mostly because I live over 900 miles away from San Jose and chose to root for them based on the players they had when the franchise started rather than the team's location. I can definitely understand how people who live in the city would feel differently. I quit watching the NBA well before the Sonics were stolen, but most people I know who live in Seattle, who were big fans before, hate the NBA now.

For me the bigger issue would be if Seattle ever got an NHL team. They still need an arena, so it's not going to happen anytime soon with all the relocation talk, but if Seattle does eventually get a team, I think it's very likely I'd switch allegiances.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
I liked the Nordiques back in the day, prolly why I favor the Avs a little.
jesus christ on a cracker, Jeff.... how do you even keep track? :eek:

:D

I'd still follow the Sharks, but that's mostly because I live over 900 miles away from San Jose and chose to root for them based on the players they had when the franchise started rather than the team's location.
Pat Falloon? :L

actually, i guess that makes sense.... they took a couple of Spokane Chiefs right off the bat, didn't they?
(Falloon / Whitney)

Ho_Brah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
when I moved to Colorado Springs in 95, I became an Avalanche fan. Was a fan of theirs till 2001, when I met my wife. Her Nephew and Niece had played for the Jr. Kings organization in LA. Watched some games during our yearly visits and really liked the team. Be rooting for them since.

But if the Team moved out of the city for new ownership/financial shit, I would still follow them.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey destroyd ... do you remember Joe Cardarelli? when he was 10, I coached his ball hockey team lol

li0lsh

Hoopla Cash
$ 737.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been a Sharks fan all my life and now that I live in Chicago it wouldn't be all that different for me.

I'll still make a trip to SJ with some friends to see a game or where ever they get relocated

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean...I'd probably still root for the Pens, but it'd be very odd/awkward. I feel like when a team moves (whether on good or bad terms) there's just a different tone around the team, regardless of the players involved. There would just be a certain different tone around them, watching a group of different people suddenly become interested even though they didn't know they existed previously...HEY WAIT! THAT'S ME ALREADY! :)

To answer "If you had to pick another team" I'd pick Buffalo.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
actually, i guess that makes sense.... they took a couple of Spokane Chiefs right off the bat, didn't they?
(Falloon / Whitney)

Yeah, nice to see at least one of them made a nice career for themselves. :p The Sharks took Toporowski from the 91 Chiefs team as well, but they traded him before he ever played for the Sharks. He got hurt and I don't think he ever played a game in the NHL. Guy still holds the Chiefs single season record for PIMs with 505.

Hey destroyd ... do you remember Joe Cardarelli? when he was 10, I coached his ball hockey team lol

Definitely. Pretty good player from what I remember, although I was still pretty young during his couple years in Spokane. I do remember he scored a tying goal with 30 seconds left in game 6 against Portland in the playoffs a few years back. The Chiefs won that game in OT and won game 7 after trailing the series 3 games to none.

Pretty funny how small the world can be.