• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 9.5.20 Return of the MadBum

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now, the D-Back fans are mostly mad because he is pitching like a bum.

Slater - dh
Flores - 2b
Yastrzemski - rf
Longoria - 3b
Ruf - lf
Belt - 1b
Robertson - ss
Bart - c
Dubon - cf
Cahill - sp

Giants up 2-1 in the 3rd inning

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cahill with the early hook before he could cover the mound in dung.

This Kapler guy is growing on me...

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We knew there was risk in re-signing Bum, and while this year is weird we can see he simply isn't that guy anymore. Good time to say goodbye.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We knew there was risk in re-signing Bum, and while this year is weird we can see he simply isn't that guy anymore. Good time to say goodbye.
The writing was on the wall, which is why I think most of us on this board were okay with letting him walk. But I am surprised he is struggling this mightily already. I expected that to not happen for a couple more years.
He wasn't too bad tonight but the manager had a quick hook for him (almost as quick as Kapler's). And I find it fascinating to see another former Giant farmhand replace him on the mound.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cahill with the early hook before he could cover the mound in dung.

This Kapler guy is growing on me...
Got to be a lot easier to have a quick hook when you've got 11 relief pitchers (even if 9 of them aren't doing well).

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its the battle of the bad bullpens. Which one will melt down more?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got to be a lot easier to have a quick hook when you've got 11 relief pitchers (even if 9 of them aren't doing well).
I should correct that last statement. There are only 9 relievers and 3 are successful so far this season: Jarlin Garcia, Sam Selman and Tony Watson.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ho boy, no FYWW dominance tonight

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had em all the way!

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's how I'd rank our bullpen:
1. Tony Watson - man, has he rebounded into his normal form. He's going back into free agency on a high note. He's going to cost whoever signs him an arm and a leg.
2. Jarlin Garcia - If he was healthy the whole year, I'd put him the top spot. No runs in 11 appearances is amazing, especially for this team. Needs to improve his BB to K (1:1) but he's still better than everyone else here.
3. Sam Selman - the 2019 September call up was an afterthought and didn't make the initial roster but he has made the most of his opportunity. Could be a solid long term guy in the bullpen.
4. Conner Menez - Free Conner Menez! I don't really understand, given the volatility of this group, why he was sent down and left at the alternate site. Sure, the 5 walks to 8 Ks is a bit troubling, but he was getting the outs when needed. Why the heck isn't he in this bullpen?
5. Tyler Heineman - Yes, I've included him. Can we bring him back as a relief pitcher/emergency catcher?
6. Caleb Baragar - Here is where it starts to get sketchy. He's got a strong WHIP (0.97) but his HRs (3) is a bit high for 11 plus innings. That may be why he sports an ERA north of 5.
7. Wandy Peralta - He started out strong but has faltered as of late. Opponents are hitting .271 against him.
8. Andrew Suarez - If he can improve on missing bats (.321 opponent BA), maybe he could move a few notches up this list.
9. Shaun Anderson - The argument over whether he deserved his demotion could go either way. He's better than almost half the current bullpen but his control problems (11 walks in 10.3 innings pitched) suggest the demotion was necessary.
10. Tyler Rogers - My man Tyler just hasn't looked good for consistent stretches of the year. Two really awful early season appearances certainly affect his numbers but he's still be rough in some recent games (like today).
11. Sam Coonrod - tzill's favorite has been absolutely rocked in his last few games, pushing him fast down this list.
12. Trevor Gott - Remember when he was one of the top guys on this list? Those three awful appearances that pushed him out of the closer role pushed fast down this list. He continues to look rough as a middle innings guy.
13. Rico Garcia - Finally, an absolutely justified demotion. Opponents hit .429 against him in 6 innings (giving up 12 hits).
Not ranked (due to being out of the organization now): Dany Jimenez, Dereck Rodriguez & Andrew Triggs

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The writing was on the wall, which is why I think most of us on this board were okay with letting him walk. But I am surprised he is struggling this mightily already. I expected that to not happen for a couple more years.
He wasn't too bad tonight but the manager had a quick hook for him (almost as quick as Kapler's). And I find it fascinating to see another former Giant farmhand replace him on the mound.

Not trying to be an asshole here but it had already happened for a couple of years.
I don't know what anyone else saw the last two years with Madbum but IMHO he's not been the same since he hurt his arm.
This isn't the beginning of the end, sadly this the final chapter of the end.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NJJMcKc.png

aeAhOmI.png

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not trying to be an asshole here but it had already happened for a couple of years.
I don't know what anyone else saw the last two years with Madbum but IMHO he's not been the same since he hurt his arm.
This isn't the beginning of the end, sadly this the final chapter of the end.

gotta disagree here. Going by WAR, he was above average the last two seasons (2.5, 2.4). Agreed that before that, he was an all-star, but his last two years for us were not "the beginning of the end." He was a good, but not elite SP.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gotta disagree here. Going by WAR, he was above average the last two seasons (2.5, 2.4). Agreed that before that, he was an all-star, but his last two years for us were not "the beginning of the end." He was a good, but not elite SP.
Exactly. There was some decline but not nearly what we are seeing here. Of course, he follows the trend of Lincecum and Cain. They fell fast and hard to sudden ends for their careers.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

eh.

To each his own.