• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 9/27 South Eliminated @ North Eliminated

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not sure where this goes, but this article could have been written about the Giants, who spent $92 million less than the Yankees on payroll this season.

Injuries. Check.

Too old. Check.

Not athletic. Check.

Poor Defense. Check.

Major players severely underperform. Check Check Check

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Manaea is at 96 pitches through 6 innings. And he's going out for the 7th?

Edit: and sure enough, Manaea gives up a leadoff homer in the 7th.

There was no reason to send him out to start the 7th. The bully is rested.

Ah, 'tis a wasted season anyway. Have him throw a 140 pitch CG. Why not? :noidea:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not sure where this goes, but this article could have been written about the Giants, who spent $92 million less than the Yankees on payroll this season.

Injuries. Check.

Too old. Check.

Not athletic. Check.

Poor Defense. Check.

Major players severely underperform. Check Check Check
Padres, Cards, Yanks, Sox, Giants…

All teams that have had incredibly bad seasons that have really angered their fan bases. I have no idea if there is any connection or if there any kind of “story” there, but I have noticed a lot of similar beat stories written about all 5 teams.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Padres, Cards, Yanks, Sox, Giants…

All teams that have had incredibly bad seasons that have really angered their fan bases. I have no idea if there is any connection or if there any kind of “story” there, but I have noticed a lot of similar beat stories written about all 5 teams.

I haven't read much about the Cards in this vein. When we were in St. Louis, I talked to several of their fans. They just shrugged and said this crappy season was just an aberration and that the team would be good next season. Not much drama, though it was the midwest. There's a full blown rebellion happening in San Diego, New York, and Boston. All is calm in Baghdad by the Bay....

sf1giantfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The odds of the Giants losing tonight has just increased this inning :whistle:

sf1giantfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bailey has now broken his own record of throwing errors this season.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pads about to get their FIRST extra inning win of the season on September 27...

Gawd Dayum, this team sucks.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This may be the most Giantsy loss of the season.

Good pitching (until Brebbia)

Awful hitting

Three errors leading to 4 of the 5 SD runs.

I'm OK with it. Let the kids play. Let Bailey learn the hard way, so that he'll be better next year.

As for Brebbia......... :wave:

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This may be the most Giantsy loss of the season.

Good pitching (until Brebbia)

Awful hitting

Three errors leading to 4 of the 5 SD runs.

I'm OK with it. Let the kids play. Let Bailey learn the hard way, so that he'll be better next year.

As for Brebbia......... :wave:
exactly.

Phuking ginger. He's gotta go.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would guess that you'll get your wish. Might mean one of Alexander or Junis are brought back (personally, I'd be okay with Junis but am fine with Alexander walking).
I think JJ will go FA along with Manaea.

Alex I'd expect back.

My guess for 2024

Pederson -- gone
Forto -- opts out
Craw -- retires
Manea -- opts out
Strip -- opts in at $12.5M
Wood -- gone
Cobb -- option picked up at $10M
JJ -- gone
Brebbia -- gone
Alexander -- Resigned to $2M

Total savings from 2023 payroll: $82.75M

Total player contracts left for 2024: $87.5 (8 players)
Arb guess: $33M (6 players)
Min contracts $16M (23 players)

TOTAL BUDGET AS OF NOW: $136.5M

Assuming $200M budget, which I think they're going to have to spend to field a team people want to see, that's 2-3 big difference makers they should be getting. Bring me Ohtani, Snell, and Bellinger

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2024 roster in my world

C - Bailey, Bart, Sabol
IF - Wade, Tyro, Lucy, Schmitt, Wilmer, Fitz, JDD,
OF - Yaz, Meech, Slates, Belli, Sabol, Matos, Ramos
D - Ohtani
SP - Webb, Snell, Cobb, Harry, Winn, Beck, Strip, Hjelle, Teng
BP - Doval, Taylor, Tyler, Alex, Walker, Jax

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can’t imagine Ohtani signing with us without making promises to him that just wouldn’t make sense for a team to make.

When he first came out here, he said (I think it was from him, it was reported at least) that he didn’t want to go to the M’s because he didn’t want to follow in Suzuki’s footsteps. He wanted to blaze his own trail and make his own legend. This was also why he went with one of the tier B organization instead of the Spanks.

So why would he want to sign with a team that has 3 championships in the last 15 years? A team that is linked to the 2 (arguably) greatest players in the history of the game? A team that has more HOFers than ANY other org? A team that, arguably, has the second highest profile of all MLB teams (and inarguably top 5)?

And a team that has a very questionable ownership group/FO at the moment.

When he can just move down the road to a ready-made team that, while has won a lot recently, has only claimed the brass ring once (in a bastardized season) in the last 30+ years? A team that has a high profile, but has a higher profile for bringing in different faces to the game.

Granted, MAYBE aligning himself with Robinson may be akin to his feelings about getting aligned with Suzuki in Seattle. That is a legit argument for why he may not be interested in staying in LA. But being the piece that almost guarantees a championship for a storied franchise that has been rather championship-free for so long could be a legacy builder he just can’t resist.

Or, if he doesn’t have a strong tie to staying on the West coast, maybe going to Cleveland and building a legacy there would have draw for him. I would see them having AT LEAST as much pull for his services as the Giants. Probably more.

Ohtani ain’t coming here.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can’t imagine Ohtani signing with us without making promises to him that just wouldn’t make sense for a team to make.

When he first came out here, he said (I think it was from him, it was reported at least) that he didn’t want to go to the M’s because he didn’t want to follow in Suzuki’s footsteps. He wanted to blaze his own trail and make his own legend. This was also why he went with one of the tier B organization instead of the Spanks.

So why would he want to sign with a team that has 3 championships in the last 15 years? A team that is linked to the 2 (arguably) greatest players in the history of the game? A team that has more HOFers than ANY other org? A team that, arguably, has the second highest profile of all MLB teams (and inarguably top 5)?

And a team that has a very questionable ownership group/FO at the moment.

When he can just move down the road to a ready-made team that, while has won a lot recently, has only claimed the brass ring once (in a bastardized season) in the last 30+ years? A team that has a high profile, but has a higher profile for bringing in different faces to the game.

Granted, MAYBE aligning himself with Robinson may be akin to his feelings about getting aligned with Suzuki in Seattle. That is a legit argument for why he may not be interested in staying in LA. But being the piece that almost guarantees a championship for a storied franchise that has been rather championship-free for so long could be a legacy builder he just can’t resist.

Or, if he doesn’t have a strong tie to staying on the West coast, maybe going to Cleveland and building a legacy there would have draw for him. I would see them having AT LEAST as much pull for his services as the Giants. Probably more.

Ohtani ain’t coming here.

What if we FZ reminds him of the message board on the Hoop? That's a sure selling point!