• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 8.5.19 Fedde@Samardzija

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, some guys (Sandoval, most of the bullpen) were playing well all year. Many of the others were guys who got a shot in the ever rotating outfield who took full advantage of it. Unfortunately, they may have been playing well over their heads. Longoria has been injured, so his hot bat disappeared not due to lack of performance but lack of playing time. Pillar looks to be a notoriously streaky hitter. But I guess that guys like Samardzija, Bumgarner, Posey, Belt and Crawford can catch heat for being mediocre to awful for two months, play well for a wee bit and then, as you say, recline in their chairs with the security of another season complete. But really only Bumgarner, and maybe Samardzija would have been likely to have gotten traded. Belt and Crawford would have stayed regardless.
Belt needs to be dealt to a team that needs lefty power. They all have the metrics, they know he would crush it as a Yankee or Phillie, etc

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Belt needs to be dealt to a team that needs lefty power. They all have the metrics, they know he would crush it as a Yankee or Phillie, etc
I've mentioned before that the Yankees and Phillies don't really have any room for him. The Phillies have Rhys Hoskins playing first base and had an outfield of Andrew McCutchen and Bryce Harper at the corners. McCutchen is done for the year but Jay Bruce has been mashing in his place. MCutchen should be ready next year and has two years left on his contract.
The Yankees have three guys at 1st base in Greg Bird, Edwin Encarnacion and Luke Voit. All three are currently injured but could all come back next year. Their outfield is more than full. Clint Frazier cannot catch a break! My point being that two of the parks that Belt would do well in has guys at the positions he could already producing. There is no motivation for them to give anything to the Giants for Belt.
What I don't know is what other parks would allow him to play to his strength. Maybe some of those teams have a need and would be willing to acquire him. If so, hopefully the Giants will do him a favor and ship him off.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've mentioned before that the Yankees and Phillies don't really have any room for him. The Phillies have Rhys Hoskins playing first base and had an outfield of Andrew McCutchen and Bryce Harper at the corners. McCutchen is done for the year but Jay Bruce has been mashing in his place. MCutchen should be ready next year and has two years left on his contract.
The Yankees have three guys at 1st base in Greg Bird, Edwin Encarnacion and Luke Voit. All three are currently injured but could all come back next year. Their outfield is more than full. Clint Frazier cannot catch a break! My point being that two of the parks that Belt would do well in has guys at the positions he could already producing. There is no motivation for them to give anything to the Giants for Belt.
What I don't know is what other parks would allow him to play to his strength. Maybe some of those teams have a need and would be willing to acquire him. If so, hopefully the Giants will do him a favor and ship him off.
Yanks could be a decent fit. Encarnacion is gone after this season and Greg Bird is absolutely awful at hitting people that throw baseballs in MLB and he makes Dickerson look like Gehrig.

I agree, Philly isn’t a fit from a personnel standpoint.

Maybe the Reds if Votto continues his descent into the abyss? No idea what their 1B prospects look like.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just using them as examples but there's gotta be a hitters park that could use him. Who plays first for Colorado?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just using them as examples but there's gotta be a hitters park that could use him. Who plays first for Colorado?
Daniel Murphy is playing 1st base. He won't be pulled from the starting lineup (and is hitting okay, by Coors Field standards) but he could be moved to 2nd base. Ryan McMahon has hit decently, though, at 2nd base but it could be possible that Belt could be looked at for their team.
I wonder how much another team would be willing to give up in order to gamble on him hitting with them. Yes, teams have the ability to know how he'd do with them but they would also use the leverage of his "lack of power" with SF in any trade bargaining, especially with his contract. I don't know if the Giants would be enticed enough to ship him off for the type of package they would probably be given in return.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yanks could be a decent fit. Encarnacion is gone after this season and Greg Bird is absolutely awful at hitting people that throw baseballs in MLB and he makes Dickerson look like Gehrig.

I agree, Philly isn’t a fit from a personnel standpoint.

Maybe the Reds if Votto continues his descent into the abyss? No idea what their 1B prospects look like.
filo!
Don't forget Luke Voit. He's done nothing but hit since coming to the Bronx and is controllable for a few more years. As of right now, the Yankees won't be looking for a 1st baseman, unless one of the top 2 or 3 guys in the league becomes available. Belt has never been that high and he is definitely not close to that now.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Daniel Murphy is playing 1st base. He won't be pulled from the starting lineup (and is hitting okay, by Coors Field standards) but he could be moved to 2nd base. Ryan McMahon has hit decently, though, at 2nd base but it could be possible that Belt could be looked at for their team.
I wonder how much another team would be willing to give up in order to gamble on him hitting with them. Yes, teams have the ability to know how he'd do with them but they would also use the leverage of his "lack of power" with SF in any trade bargaining, especially with his contract. I don't know if the Giants would be enticed enough to ship him off for the type of package they would probably be given in return.
Fair points, that's why FZ makes the big bucks