• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 8.28 Happy Bum Day

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Game saving play by Belt, right there...

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And he escapes.... Wow

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other than that home run that won the game yesterday, Duggar's been having some awful at bats this series.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Duggar to Craw, and he wanted to test that?

Thank you...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other than that home run that won the game yesterday, Duggar's been having some awful at bats this series.
He could hit .225 and still be a solid starter.

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two high stress innings in a row. Not too comfortable with him coming back in the 7th though.
If vintage Bum is back, this is what vintage Bum did: escape.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
giphy.gif

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So @tzill you have posted we can contend next year. The pitching can reasonably be expected to be there, assuming some good fortune (which is always needed to contend). We have 5 starters already and could maybe get another. We have a decent pen.

Without using 'that word' there HAS TO be some major improvements in the hitting, specifically some reliable power. We can't run the same lineup back and expect to contend. We can't say 'oh Duggar and Slater and Hanson will be enough, plus Mac will hit 35 HRs'. So what moves do you think they need to make?

There are no impact FA bats available except Machado and Harper and we aren't getting either. What's your plan?

I haven’t done a deep dive into the FA or trade markets, but I think there will be options to upgrade the hitting. I trust Evans and Co. to find some. I also don't think it's a lock we don't get either Machado or Harper. I think our pen is elite, not decent, and could be 9 or 10 guys deep next year with MM, Strick, Watson, Smith, Moronta, Dyson, Valdez, Blach, Holland, Johnson, Black, Beede, Law. That's serious depth I'm not sure any other team has.

So, you build around the pitching with solid D. I tend to be an optimist on these things, but I can't see poor years from all these guys again: Buster, Belt, Panik, Craw, Longo. A couple of those guys should be all-starish at least. The outfield corps will need an upgrade. I like Duggar, Slater, Mac, and Hernandez. A couple of those guys should be pretty good, I'd think. Add in Shaw and some new talent and with the lights out pitching I'm anticipating I think we can contend. Our starting infield should be great defensively. Duggar might be the solution in CF.

The bench should be pretty good: Hundo, Panda, Hanson, Gork, Slater/Shaw should be solid assuming a trade/FA upgrade. Harper makes a TON of baseball sense here, but I'd agree it's a long shot.

To sum up: the moves they will need to make:
1. Starting corner OF with some power
2. Re-sign Hundo and Holland
3. Offer Cutch the QO

It won't be easy, but given relative health and a smart move or two I think they contend.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about a bomb from Duggar for the walk off?

Anybody with me?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I was just about to lament the fact that Hanson got burned...

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hanson ftw ?

Edit. Oops

Last edited:

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven’t done a deep dive into the FA or trade markets, but I think there will be options to upgrade the hitting. I trust Evans and Co. to find some. I also don't think it's a lock we don't get either Machado or Harper. I think our pen is elite, not decent, and could be 9 or 10 guys deep next year with MM, Strick, Watson, Smith, Moronta, Dyson, Valdez, Blach, Holland, Johnson, Black, Beede, Law. That's serious depth I'm not sure any other team has.

So, you build around the pitching with solid D. I tend to be an optimist on these things, but I can't see poor years from all these guys again: Buster, Belt, Panik, Craw, Longo. A couple of those guys should be all-starish at least. The outfield corps will need an upgrade. I like Duggar, Slater, Mac, and Hernandez. A couple of those guys should be pretty good, I'd think. Add in Shaw and some new talent and with the lights out pitching I'm anticipating I think we can contend. Our starting infield should be great defensively. Duggar might be the solution in CF.

The bench should be pretty good: Hundo, Panda, Hanson, Gork, Slater/Shaw should be solid assuming a trade/FA upgrade. Harper makes a TON of baseball sense here, but I'd agree it's a long shot.

To sum up: the moves they will need to make:
1. Starting corner OF with some power
2. Re-sign Hundo and Holland
3. Offer Cutch the QO

It won't be easy, but given relative health and a smart move or two I think they contend.

Great answer, appreciate it. Seems to me you'd like to try the 2010 formula again (like tonight!). The game has changed some, but who knows, Moneyball is all about zigging when they zag. And the key is that power hitting OF. Honestly it's Harper and a bunch of old or meh. As FAs anyway. Trade targets? No idea. But that would be NECESSARY.