• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

8-2: Herpetology at We Don't Need Any Hitters

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The org went all in on the opener this year (just look at the AAA "rotation"). Glad it is at least working out. I don't like it but if its going to be used, it might as well work.
I don’t like it either, but I am willing to accept that is due to my incurable case of Getoffmylawnitis.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some love for Flores, we rag on the hitting but that guy ain't it...he's dialed in for 2 months now

Also give it up for Crawford...the numbers are deceiving, he is great with RISP, he fields the position still, and he's the only guy on the team who's won anything. That matters if you're in a playoff hunt, that clubhouse vibe of people who been there. Gonna miss that next year.
Not when we have a couple dozen guys with 2023 rings!!

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This applies to tomorrow but Giants are 14-5 when using an "opener". This is our thing now.
You know what also applies to today?

Weekday Day Game Curse.

I said what I said.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thing is, FZ doesn't like it either. But, it's the best strategy given the rotation depth. We'll get back to a traditional rotation by next year, I'd bet.
Then why would they build a pitching staff in AAA with a bunch of openers? They could have stretched out some guys there. And some that they did were brought up to be bulk relievers.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thing is, FZ doesn't like it either. But, it's the best strategy given the rotation depth. We'll get back to a traditional rotation by next year, I'd bet.
I am not sure I believe that. I think FZ is a believer that a traditional starter is a very rare player. I think he believes that if you are not an ace-level pitcher then the team is better off just treating you like a long reliever (once through the lineup, max). And in the age of extreme specialization, I think that is the proper way to proceed.

Again, I don’t like it. But that is because of my romantic love affair with the traditional game. But that game doesn’t exist anymore. Too much video out there for pitchers to be effective beyond 3 innings (again, exceptions exist, but in the future, I don’t see more than 50-100 of those guys to exist at any time)

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then why would they build a pitching staff in AAA with a bunch of openers? They could have stretched out some guys there. And some that they did were brought up to be bulk relievers.
You'd have to ask them, but probably we aren't quite ready with starters in the upper minors. Harry and Whisenhunt are coming tho.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The org went all in on the opener this year (just look at the AAA "rotation"). Glad it is at least working out. I don't like it but if its going to be used, it might as well work.
Our team is leaning in to the new model...so far it is working, but may not be enough if we don't start scoring runs