• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

(6) Devils Vs (3) Panthers Series Preview

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, folks it's that time again we're back in the playoffs and this time we mean business unlike 2010 where we got the ONE team who could kick our ass that year...and they did. So without further ado let me go over some key points which I think will decide this series:

Devils Offense vs Panthers Offense:

This part of the Devils has driven me and almost every Devil fan I've talked to here and on facebook absolutely crazy. Like the teams overall play it was feast or famine for the first 2/3 of the season which left us wondering if we'd even make it. Yes, yours truly pronounced us "dead" about 3-4 different times but last year was still fresh on my mind so forgive me all. Kovalchuk has finally settled in and has figured out when to be his flashy,selfish self and when to defer, something I never thought he'd do. Clarkson has been a pleasant surprise with 30 of the unlikliest goals a team could want/ask for. Oh, was it great to have Zach back this year! Didn't realize how much he meant to this team until last year when we didn't have him please stay Zach i just watched my NBA team's superstar walk to LA last winter I can't take that again. As for the Panthers, you'd think they were a one-line team but they have a couple sleepers who have hurt us this year (Versteeg,Weiss) so we can't let our guard down.

Advantage Devils by far!

Devils Defense Vs Panthers Defense: Let's see one team has a +19 GD and the other has a -24 GD Need I say more?

Advantage: Devils

Devils Special Teams Vs Panthers Special Teams:
Let's see one team has a 79.5% PK an the other set an NHL record with a 89.6% Pk need I say more? Panthers have a slightly better PP but the better Pk wil cancel that out.

Advantage: Devils

Overall outlook: No reason we shouldn't win this series pretty easily unless for some awful reason we fall back into underacheiving mode and let an inferior team take it to us.

Prediction Devils in 6

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On paper its no contest..but too bad for us we actually have to play these games. I will say I like this team more then any other team since our last cup. We have a balanced team and a defense that plays well in front of Marty. That really wasnt the case the last couple times we were in the playoffs.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
yeah in every aspect of the game the devils have the edge even finishing with more points. so the devils have earned the right to call themselves favorites even though they never would. reading kovalchuks comments i would be amazed if he doesnt steup and take the series over. i know we had the "dream" matchup of 3rd place before but that team didnt have the scoring this team has.

if it comes to nj 1-1 then devils in 5. if it comes back 2-0 devils then its a sweep. if it comes back 2-0 panthers then moose better get the start in goal for game 3. devils in 6 because of the goalie shakeup. i also think the devils get at least 1 short handed goal

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like we haven't had a Volchenkov type in a while. The guy has been a stud and for the most part has shut other team's top lines down all season. We haven't had that top pairing, shut down guy since...Neids?

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any word on the rosters for the playoffs/rd 1?

Harrold was actually pretty good in the last few games, which pains me cause, it's him or Larsson unless we go with 7 dmen?

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Keys to this series, and any series for that matter are following.

1) Goaltending - Devils have the edge. Marty can't give up crap goals like the first one on Saturday which can totally ruin momentum. He has been very good the last couple of months so not worried.
Also, Devils cannot make Clemmensen or Theo look like Patrick Roy.

2) Special Teams - Obviously penalty kill will continue to be good I think, but Devils need to cash in on the power play. Florida has a decent power play themselves.
Special teams will be huge this series because 5 on 5, we might see a chess match.

3) Defense - Our best defense is to attack. We can't sit back like during the Sutter days and expect a Steven's and Daneyko type of shutdown in the 3rd period like in the old days. 3rd period, if team is up by one, continue to pressure the Panthers.

4) Secondary scoring - I would expect production from our top guys. But success this postseason will come down to guys like Clarkson, Zubrus, Poni, etc. I am predicting a huge playoffs for Clarkson by the way.

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Also, yes, Harrold has been pretty good. I would think Larsson gets the nod over him however.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Normally I would say play the better player but if larrson is our future d man this is a great learning experience. I say start him.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Playoff hocky w/ playoff discussions, quite exciting!!!

Like everyone else pointing out, we can't make their goaltender look like a HOF as usual. Got to attack fast and often.

Another guy who's coming on slowly happens to be old man Sykora. He's getting some timely goals. If he could really step up and hustle out there, i would hold a majority of my concerns with him.

I'm thinking Larsson will get the nod as well. Played him this much, postseason experience this early for him, go for it. Since it is against FLA, no disrespect, it's easier than vs the Pitt/Flyers/Boston etc in the opener, you know teams with real offensive attacks.

and Marty... be like Stanley Cup winner Marty and not Carolina first rd blues Marty....

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yeah Marty is the only real question mark I feel we have. Like rp said...one lame goal and boom there goes the momentum. What Marty will show up? If its the Marty of past series then we are doomed no matter what we do.

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This big layoff is going to hurt Marty unfortunately.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TBH, shocked and little "eh?" when i saw Marty starting the last game instead of Moose.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If they didn't give Sunday then it would be 8 days before starts. 5 if we started wed.

Anyone still want the nets here? They are the reason we start friday

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
TBH, shocked and little "eh?" when i saw Marty starting the last game instead of Moose.

I was a big, big proponent of marty starting every game. He admits that he doesn't play well if he gets out of rhythm. Hopefully they're working him a bit at practice. Would love for Deboer to do a 3v3 or a 4v4 half practice at some point in the next two days. Keep the players happy, having some fun, and let Marty get a bit of pseudo game action in. Could't hurt either goalie in fact.

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If they didn't give Sunday then it would be 8 days before starts. 5 if we started wed.

Anyone still want the nets here? They are the reason we start friday

I don't think it's the Nets, the NHL could have done Wed, Fri, Sun, Tues, Thursday, Sat, and been fine on the prudential end.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry if it was obvious, or stated, but any confirmation on the lineups/roster for the series?

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Hmmmmm although I think "swarm it up" is kinda lame. Who am I to argue with the mad Russian?

I like that they are doing something like this. Adds to the belief they will go far because if they do this and get bounced in round 1 they will look pretty stupid

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Also, Parise convinced management/coaches that the players can sleep at home the night before home games. They used to stay in hotels.