• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 5.22 dogs @ Kal

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants' defense has been surprisingly good through the first 40 games.

The first 2-error game was the last on in Cincy.

The second was today, so 2 in 3 days.

Hope this is not a trend.

And today, the emergency starter gave up 1 run, the bully gave up 5 runs. :L
WORST BULLPEN IN THE MAJORS.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) I openly stated a few years ago that I don’t dislike him as much as I say on these boards. We were stuck in an echo chamber, so I volunteered to be the Belt-pessimist (Beltimist?).

2) Based on Belts salary, bragging that he ranks 50th in anything is not a valid brag. Further, given his lack of premium position, it means even less. He has a more productive bat than Crawford. No one argues he doesn’t. Yet few complain about Crawford’s production or his value to the team. And they make similar amounts.

Belt is a legit MLBer. We got GREAT value getting him in the 5th round. When all is said and done, he will be fondly remembered as a good Giant. But he has been a bad value for his salary for most of his career, and has undershot expectations for his production for much of his Giants career.
I think it depends upon how you calculate value. If you were to use WAR, then his 2018 was fairly compensated and his 2020 he was actually UNDERpaid. His 2019 was not good.

So all in all, he's fairly compensated I believe. That won't stop the Belt Wars tho.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not saying that a shifted player would put up the same production as belt. But belt is paid like he puts up production BETTER than Belt.

And Ruf is actually a decent example of why I never liked the Belt signing. We locked ourselves into paying for an all-star (or near all-level) player at the overflow position (not DH, but close-ish). Ruf has decent potential to put up close to Belt-like numbers for a fraction of the cost. And what he is paid, he can be cut loose at a moments notice without batting an eye. Huff is the same kind of signing (Not his re-up... that was dumb).

Bottom line, Belt has cost us more than just his actual salary. He cost us opportunities. No Huffs. No Burrels. Blocking Ruf (not the end of the world, but I would have Ruf starting, at his salary, with no Belt, and Belt’s money somewhere else on the team (a legit closer? A legit OFer? 2 or 3 MLB mid-inning relievers?)). (Wow, a parenthetical parenthetical idea... we have reach Inception!)
We could probably go around and around on this so I won't keep going. Safe to say, we have different opinions on Belt.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it depends upon how you calculate value. If you were to use WAR, then his 2018 was fairly compensated and his 2020 he was actually UNDERpaid. His 2019 was not good.

So all in all, he's fairly compensated I believe. That won't stop the Belt Wars tho.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Day 259 of the Belt Wars...

He's still confounding people on both sides. Watching strike three... then hitting the occasional two run homers.

Meanwhile the real enemy, the abysmal bullpen keeps gaining ground.. or losing ground depending on how you look at it, and goes unnoticed.