• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers vs Vikings

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Niners "should" win, if only because of the extra week and home field. Vikings have a ton of talent, and are legit on defense. Cook is a beast. I expect a good game either way.

Deep - I disagree on the game plan. Shanahan is aggressive. He's been opening things up for Garoppolo these last several weeks. I think you see a lot of run formations with play action out of the gate. I think he'd like to soften things up, get a lead, then lean on the run later in the game. Old-school 49er game plan of using the pass to set up the run.

On defense, Ford is the missing piece. Even if he can only get in on obvious passing downs, that will free things up for Bosa/Buck/Armstead... or he'll make the play on his own. This will be much more meaningful than having Alexander back, imo. Not that it won't be great to have Alexander in there, both personnel and morale wise, but I think Ford has the bigger impact.

I see the Vikes leaning on the run early to set up play action. Zimmer is more conservative, and why wouldn't he lean on that run game! Hard to see them come out slinging the ball around, but they are playing with house money, so who knows.

I don't predict outcomes for my own team on account of superstition. :suds:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Niners "should" win, if only because of the extra week and home field. Vikings have a ton of talent, and are legit on defense. Cook is a beast. I expect a good game either way.

Deep - I disagree on the game plan. Shanahan is aggressive. He's been opening things up for Garoppolo these last several weeks. I think you see a lot of run formations with play action out of the gate. I think he'd like to soften things up, get a lead, then lean on the run later in the game. Old-school 49er game plan of using the pass to set up the run.

On defense, Ford is the missing piece. Even if he can only get in on obvious passing downs, that will free things up for Bosa/Buck/Armstead... or he'll make the play on his own. This will be much more meaningful than having Alexander back, imo. Not that it won't be great to have Alexander in there, both personnel and morale wise, but I think Ford has the bigger impact.

I see the Vikes leaning on the run early to set up play action. Zimmer is more conservative, and why wouldn't he lean on that run game! Hard to see them come out slinging the ball around, but they are playing with house money, so who knows.

I don't predict outcomes for my own team on account of superstition. :suds:

Your opinion is fine, we can only wait and see what he does? I'm certainly fine with any way that works.

Just that play action is typically effective AFTER you've shown you can run the ball. So starting off with play-action passing can work but might not be as effective? 'Not effective' meaning receivers aren't as open, and less RAC's.

With all the tension/pressure to start this game, i would be very careful throwing "out of the gate". We don't want a turnover no matter what, but especially don't want one 'out of the gate'.

The other factor is slowing their pass rush. By running the ball you force them to slow down.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your opinion is fine, we can only wait and see what he does? I'm certainly fine with any way that works.

Just that play action is typically effective AFTER you've shown you can run the ball. So starting off with play-action passing can work but might not be as effective? 'Not effective' meaning receivers aren't as open, and less RAC's.

With all the tension/pressure to start this game, i would be very careful throwing "out of the gate". We don't want a turnover no matter what, but especially don't want one 'out of the gate'.

The other factor is slowing their pass rush. By running the ball you force them to slow down.

I don't disagree with anything that you're saying, and being honest, I hope I'm wrong. I just think Shanahan is aggressive and now that he has more faith in the passing game I could see him wanting to hit it hard right out of the gate. Especially if they line up to stop the run.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't disagree with anything that you're saying, and being honest, I hope I'm wrong. I just think Shanahan is aggressive and now that he has more faith in the passing game I could see him wanting to hit it hard right out of the gate. Especially if they line up to stop the run.

Yeah ok, bottom line is we both want it to work no matter how he starts.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disappointed to hear that Ford is still hurting and most likely won't play in this game. That is huge and evens out the game. As we saw, without him there is no pass rush. This game is now a toss up that I think the 49ers still might pull out.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disappointed to hear that Ford is still hurting and most likely won't play in this game. That is huge and evens out the game. As we saw, without him there is no pass rush. This game is now a toss up that I think the 49ers still might pull out.

Yeah... disappointing for sure. Although I'm not sure we won't have any pass rush, but I'm not counting on the 4-6 sacks we might have gotten with him in the line up. We should still get pressure.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

No doubt its dissapointing, but not agreeing it "evens out the game"?

If the vegas line went down to 49er's -3, then i'd believe its a toss up. But the line started out with Ford hurt, and has remained a touchdown. No way do i consider this a toss up game. Obviously the 49er's could lose, but going into the game, it certainly isn't a toss up.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah... disappointing for sure. Although I'm not sure we won't have any pass rush, but I'm not counting on the 4-6 sacks we might have gotten with him in the line up. We should still get pressure.
Haven't had a sack in about a month or so. They got none against the Ravens, none against the Saints, maybe one against the Falcons and none against the Seahawks. The pass rush has been non-existent.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt its dissapointing, but not agreeing it "evens out the game"?

If the vegas line went down to 49er's -3, then i'd believe its a toss up. But the line started out with Ford hurt, and has remained a touchdown. No way do i consider this a toss up game. Obviously the 49er's could lose, but going into the game, it certainly isn't a toss up.
1 sack in the last 4 games is not a problem? OK

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Steve and I respectfully disagree with you

As the No. 1 seed at 13-3, coach Kyle Shanahan's team is seen as the presumptive Super Bowl favorite coming out of the NFC. But that doesn't mean there aren't red flags, according to 49ers legend and Hall of Famer Steve Young.

"This defensive line, I thought was top in the league, maybe top two,” Young told KNBR's "Tolbert, Krueger and Brooks" during the 49ers' bye week. “Remember the game where they just mauled Aaron Rodgers and he put the white flag up? That’s what those defenses like Denver, when Peyton Manning couldn’t raise his arm and they still won the Super Bowl, or Seattle, Baltimore had a group like that. There are teams that have had these ferocious defensive lines and we’ve lost that.

“I understand there were injuries and so forth, but that’s my greatest concern. Without that, our defense becomes something where everyone has to stand out on their own and a ferocious defensive line can kind of mask a lot of stuff, and that’s my concern

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did i say it wasn't a problem?

I said Ford's injury is dissapointing.
You talked about the betting line as if it had any bearing at all on the outcome of the game. It is strictly a number Vegas makes up in order to get the same amount of money bet on both teams so that they win on the vig. It made no sense

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

As the No. 1 seed at 13-3, coach Kyle Shanahan's team is seen as the presumptive Super Bowl favorite coming out of the NFC. But that doesn't mean there aren't red flags, according to 49ers legend and Hall of Famer Steve Young.

"This defensive line, I thought was top in the league, maybe top two,” Young told KNBR's "Tolbert, Krueger and Brooks" during the 49ers' bye week. “Remember the game where they just mauled Aaron Rodgers and he put the white flag up? That’s what those defenses like Denver, when Peyton Manning couldn’t raise his arm and they still won the Super Bowl, or Seattle, Baltimore had a group like that. There are teams that have had these ferocious defensive lines and we’ve lost that.

“I understand there were injuries and so forth, but that’s my greatest concern. Without that, our defense becomes something where everyone has to stand out on their own and a ferocious defensive line can kind of mask a lot of stuff, and that’s my concern

Everyone already knows our D-line isn't "ferocious" like earlier in the season, but that doesn't mean we can't apply pressure on Cousins. Just have to check Bosa's stats to see he HAS been applying pressure of late.

Dean said we should still get pressure and don't see where he's wrong? Where in this excerpt does Steve (and you) say we won't get any pressure?

I think our defense will be fine even though not ferocious. What we need now is for our offense to protect the ball, and score TD's vice FG's.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You talked about the betting line as if it had any bearing at all on the outcome of the game. It is strictly a number Vegas makes up in order to get the same amount of money bet on both teams so that they win on the vig. It made no sense

Now you're mixing in the betting line?! It makes no sense if you mix 3 topics at a time.

Where did i say the betting line had a bearing on the game? You said its now a toss up without Ford, and i said its not a toss up.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now you're mixing in the betting line?! It makes no sense if you mix 3 topics at a time.

Where did i say the betting line had a bearing on the game? You said its now a toss up without Ford, and i said its not a toss up.
You did that. You said you were comfortable that Ford's absence wouldn't hurt the Niners because the betting line hadn't changed. That's ludicrous even for you.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You did that. You said you were comfortable that Ford's absence wouldn't hurt the Niners because the betting line hadn't changed. That's ludicrous even for you.

You need to go back and read what i said, you're mixing up your own self.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lol.... sounds like we're all on the same page I guess??

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think this is a 'QB drop back/throw it all over the field' type of game. It's who can establish the run, and build off that. I like that Minn. D is predominantly cover 2 and 4 to prevent big gains, but SF has been really sound offensively on the shorter stuff passing wise. Advantage SF. The Niners I believe have the better offensive line, so the outside zone should again, be an advantage for the 49ers.

Certainly can't dismiss Minn's win in NO....should be a big confidence boost, and they do have some talent all over the place. I honestly think they've underchieved for the most part. Zimmer moving his outside rushers inside really did a number on the Saints OL and Brees, and he's more than capable of pulling another trick against SF.

The 49ers are the better team, but I don't have much of a vibe on this one. Have to see it play out I guess.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't think this is a 'QB drop back/throw it all over the field' type of game. It's who can establish the run, and build off that. I like that Minn. D is predominantly cover 2 and 4 to prevent big gains, but SF has been really sound offensively on the shorter stuff passing wise. Advantage SF. The Niners I believe have the better offensive line, so the outside zone should again, be an advantage for the 49ers.

Certainly can't dismiss Minn's win in NO....should be a big confidence boost, and they do have some talent all over the place. I honestly think they've underchieved for the most part. Zimmer moving his outside rushers inside really did a number on the Saints OL and Brees, and he's more than capable of pulling another trick against SF.

The 49ers are the better team, but I don't have much of a vibe on this one. Have to see it play out I guess.

That is also my opinion to start the game, both sides. But the 49ers will go to the passing game earlier, whereas the Vikings will run till we stop them.

But agree the 49ers can also open up with short passing stuff, especially with Deebo and Kittle. These plays have less chance of turnover, so that's fine too.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
7.5 point favorites seem high even with 3 of it for home field?

The 49er's clearly have the advantage so no excuses. If we lose this game it'll have to be from multiple turnovers.

The Vikings are balanced and will try to establish Dalvin Cook.
If the Niners lose to Minnesota they aren't the great team 49er fans claim it is.