• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers vs. Chargers game thread

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I missed the game. Anywhere to watch the game, or at least the highlights online?

Go to nfl.com and purchase NFL Preseason Live. I think it's reduced to $15.99 or something like that and you can go back and watch any of the 49ers game on the Internet. Quality is good too.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go to nfl.com and purchase NFL Preseason Live. I think it's reduced to $15.99 or something like that and you can go back and watch any of the 49ers game on the Internet. Quality is good too.

It's now $9.99 up from a "special price" of $4.99 last week - But that is for all teams and every pre-season game.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Watching the game now. I was really impressed with Kaep. I knew he put up good numbers, but there were a few plays where the pocket was collapsing around him and he stood in and made a good throw on all but 1 (where he was hit as he threw).

The Palmer TD was Johnson aborting a run play. If you watch the other 9 guys in red they all go run and Dixon looks surprised he doesn't get the ball. Even Owusu is looking to run block on the third level.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching the game now. I was really impressed with Kaep. I knew he put up good numbers, but there were a few plays where the pocket was collapsing around him and he stood in and made a good throw on all but 1 (where he was hit as he threw).

The Palmer TD was Johnson aborting a run play. If you watch the other 9 guys in red they all go run and Dixon looks surprised he doesn't get the ball. Even Owusu is looking to run block on the third level.

Me too, he blew me away with that performance. Before that I was kinda worried that if Smith got hurt Kaep wasn't ready yet, but after watching him avoid the rush and extend the plays while turning them into first downs and TDs... at the risk of sounding like a 15 year old girl... OMG! I hope he can play like that over 16 weeks!

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Finally getting a chance to see this game start to finish, play-by-play. Then I have 3 more college games to see before the night is over with.

That was pretty weird to see Anthony Davis hurdle over Dixon and a defender on the ground after Dixon's first big run. Yikes.

One of the poorer efforts you'll see on a quick out by Kaepernick to Jenkins. Ball didn't even reach his feet.

Nice patience by Kaepernick on the next play to draw Spikes in so he could THEN release the ball short to Celek near the sideline. Didn't rush the play where a young QB might.

Tukuafu, to me, has overextended and/or not had the best placement on his blocks on the first drive. Apparently from the reports it's about to get much better. Sure enough. On the goal line play right after that he crunched Spikes at the goal line. Rocked him.

Will have more later. Hopefully some better observations than just that.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm also watching it for the first time, just seen the first half so far. Take that ugly throw out, and Kap had a really excellent half. Made several throws under duress and right on the money. Very nice to see.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Tim Ryan (one of the announcers for this game I think): Let me tell you something. C.J. Spillman is definitely in competition for the 3rd safety spot.

Gee, you think?

----

Good job by Kaepernick to climb the pocket on a couple throws midway through the first quarter.

Gooden is a real load when he gets going up the middle. On the flip side of that, he hasn't disengaged very well when blocked.

Culliver should have picked off Whitehurst.

Kenny Rowe is faster around the edge than I remember.

Cox was really physical this preseason.

Jenkins was SO close to busting a big one on, I believe, his second catch. Looked like he might have helped take himself down with a stumble.

Couple of good blocks by James in the second quarter. Hung in well and pushed the guy around the arc of the pocket.

Beautiful pass protection for Kaepernick on his long ball to Celek in the 2nd quarter.

I didn't really agree with the holding call on Person in the 2nd quarter.

Great job by Kaepernick to extend the play on the Jenkings TD play.

Spillman was very aggressive in the 2nd quarter after he forced the fumble earlier.

Gooden almost got his hands on a pass by Whitehurst. Just was a little late on his jump otherwise he probably would have deflected or maybe picked it.

Brock, maybe for the first time that I saw this preseason, was step for step with his man (Goodman) down the field on a long pass attempt.

Poor technique in my eyes by Mosley on a pass completion to Goodman.

Davis whiffed on a cut block that allowed a defender to pursue Kaepernick. Kaepernick was already rolling and then running right so he was able to get away but that would have been trouble had he been in the pocket.

Alot of 49ers players lost their footing in the first half. Swain twice. Jenkins once or twice. Cam once. Gooden once or twice.

Nice throw on the move by Kapernick to hit Swain. Nice job by Swain to create separation on the route as wel.

I don't know if it's been a problem for a while or not but Kaepernick could improve or could have had better ball placement on a few of the shorter throws in the 1st half.

Terrible drop by Palmer after he was wide open on a deep slant.

That was it for the 1st half. More later.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Tim Ryan (one of the announcers for this game I think): Let me tell you something. C.J. Spillman is definitely in competition for the 3rd safety spot.

Gee, you think?

I noticed that too, but based on what he said next I think he was praising Robinson. He talked about how last year Spillman was the #3 safety, and that Robinson had played himself into the competition.

He worded it all incredibly awkwardly. Kind of like I did trying to explain it.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Missed tackle by Wilhoite behind the line to start the 3rd quarter. Ball carrier ended up getting 5.

Masifilo with a big takedown on Whitehurst.

IAF got a good push a few times early, notably a real good one early in the 3rd quarter. Then a play after I said that he got a sack (coverage).

On a Tolzien incompletion to Reuland, he might have had a real nice completion down the field over the middle if he would have taken a little off the pass. Then, on the following play, he threw too far inside on a quick inside slant for Palmer. The defender fell after contact as well so Palmer might have had a decent gain on the play.

Another very nice push by IAF from the left side that forced Whitehurst to roll left.

On the James muff near midfield he was off balance when the ball got to him. Had one knee almost touching the ground.

Poor angle by the Chargers defender on the Palmer TD play. Got too far inside.

On the first defensive play after the Palmer TD, Mosley whiffed at the line trying to press, got behind by a step and a half, but was fortunate that Whitehurst just barely overthrew the pass. In fact, Spurlock probably should have caught it anyway.

Another big time pressure and hit by IAF. The tackle keeps playing him too high and IAF was able to get underneath and drive him back.

Nice block by Wilhoite on offense while at FB.

WIDE open receivers for Johnson on the first offensive drive after the Palmer play.

Johnson had to run out to tell Nathan Palmer where to line up on one play.

James makes two guys miss on a screen pass to the right. Nice job by Johnson to let the rush sink in before releasing the ball.

Yeah! Very impressive block by Tukuafu on Mouton. Now I know what everybody was talking about. (Random note: I really like Mouton and was probably the only person in my group of football people that didn't think it was that much of a reach to get him in the 2nd round).

Celek wide open for the TD. So many of Johnson's targets have been wide open guys.

Mosley made up for a few plays earlier by having very nice coverage down the field on his man. Ball overthrown, though.

End of 3rd quarter.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Brock made a very ugly tackle attempt on RB Edwin Baker in the first minute of the 4th quarter. Looked like all he tried to do was tackle him by the head but missed almost entirely.

Cam Johnson with more pressure a play later.

Trenton Robinson has to hold on to that ball in the endzone. Instead it's a TD.

I'm not as impressed with James on these kick returns as some were last night. I think the first one of the night was his best one.

Another wide open receiver for Johnson early in the 4th. Celek reception on a shallow crosser. Followed that up with a batted ball at the line. Then followed that up with a big time overthrow to Owusu. Owusu had no separation. Followed that up with a short slant to Palmer but threw just a little bit too far behind him.

On James' final muff, he misjudged it in the air it looked like. He was late getting to the point where it came down and allowed it to get too far behind him. He had to turn back to get it and it bounced off his upper chest.

Nice job by James again to make ANOTHER two defenders miss on a short screen pass. On the run play to him two plays later he really took a big shot and was pulled from the game (not due to injury from what I could tell).

Bad drop by Owusu on a 10-yard comeback route on 3rd and 9.

Good coverage and PD by Brock against Willie down the field. Knocked the ball away just as it got to the receivers hands. The only thing he did wrong there that I could tell was that he didn't turn his head around to locate the ball.

Another hit on the QB by Masifilo. Disengaged late and hit the QB as he was throwing the ball to the sideline. Incomplete.

GREAT job by Dixon to run right through #53 as he was disengaing from a block. Maybe being a little unfair to #53 because he was JUST disengaging but Dixon still really trucked him over.

Batted pass at the line and incomplete. Pass intended for Tukuafu on a flare route.

Johnson complete to Palmer down the field. Receiver wide open again.

Good job by Johnson to avoid a defender in the backfield and then scramble down the field to the 5. Beat two more defenders at the 20.

Reuland needed to extend the ball across the goal line on the final catch of the game. Should have had a TD.