• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers sign Jerome Simpson

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean if we cut Brooks, Stevie, Dahl, Jonathan Martin and Justin retires that takes us from 6.5 in cap to 22 million. I dont think these few moves are anything crazy and are very likely scenarios. That gives us more than enough cap space to bring in a WR like Cobb, Maclin or Marshall and still have money to bring in role players.

You are right. That would free up money for this year. But any big name free agent is going to want more than a one year deal. You would also need to figure what the cap situation is for the following couple of years. Baalke does that, I haven't. You have to figure what the current contracts are going to cost the following years and who is going to need a new deal and potentially significant raise. Too much work for me to figure out.

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are right. That would free up money for this year. But any big name free agent is going to want more than a one year deal. You would also need to figure what the cap situation is for the following couple of years. Baalke does that, I haven't. You have to figure what the current contracts are going to cost the following years and who is going to need a new deal and potentially significant raise. Too much work for me to figure out.

Well the cap for 2016 is suppose to be 150 million which we are under by 40 million with 45 players under contract that year. In 2017 we are 73 million under the cap with 23 players under contract. Of course these numbers will go up and down with players we draft and other free agents we add. But I think we can easily sign a top WR for around 10-12 million a season and have enough money to resign Aldon for the future and others.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh and does Jerome Simpson understand that weed is not legal in California? Because if not, someone needs to talk to him.

2 years??? This reeks of desperation. It just does...
How is this guy not in Jail? Didn't he have something like a hundred pounds of weed mailed to his house?

RobertPhD01

49er Faithful Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Shit signing IMO. Yet another move that proves this FO has no clue about WR talent.
Remember Crabtree falling to us as the #1 WR 2time Biletnikoff Many thought the Raiders were going to take Crabtree instead of DHB. We are getting to the projected 4th WR this year at 15. We could also maybe get Armstead or Shelton!

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I'm one of the few guys that likes the signing. He was highly talked about on the old ESPN boards during the draft. He's made some spectacular catches in the pros as well. He just hasn't been able to do it on a consistent basis because of legal troubles. If he fails he fails, but he does have some upside here as well. He's not a cap casualty so it's really just a luxury pick up IMO.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
As Bay Area Sports Guy said Trent Baalke is obsessed with wide receivers who missed the previous season: Randy Moss, Brandon Lloyd, now Jerome Simpson.

don't know about "obsessed", but this is how you get VALUE.

speaking of Lloyd, this is sort of the same thing, bring him in for a tryout, he MAY do well enough to make the team? Didn't see any guaranteed money to Simpson, so if your draft pick shows something early, you cut Simpson so he doesn't take away reps.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerome Simpson flips. Jerome Simpson flops.

These are the two plays I think of when I think of Jerome Simpson.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I'm one of the few guys that likes the signing. He was highly talked about on the old ESPN boards during the draft. He's made some spectacular catches in the pros as well. He just hasn't been able to do it on a consistent basis because of legal troubles. If he fails he fails, but he does have some upside here as well. He's not a cap casualty so it's really just a luxury pick up IMO.

No doubt this guy has talent. I see a couple of problems with this guy. He seems to get in quite a bit of trouble. I've also read from a couple of Vikings posters on another site that while this guy can make some sensational catches, he also will quit on routes. I just have to wonder how competitive he is. At his age, you have to question whether he is ever going to get his act together. Some people just can't

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best part York didn't even know about the pick up. LOL

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
No doubt this guy has talent. I see a couple of problems with this guy. He seems to get in quite a bit of trouble. I've also read from a couple of Vikings posters on another site that while this guy can make some sensational catches, he also will quit on routes. I just have to wonder how competitive he is. At his age, you have to question whether he is ever going to get his act together. Some people just can't

if this shows up this off-season and in pre-season games, then he's gone. to me he is just in for a tryout, like Lloyd last season.

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im not mad about this signing like I was when I 1st heard it. I was scared if he made the team he would be making like 2 million but his contract was only a 2 year deal worth 1.73 million. He will make 795K this season if he makes the roster and 935K next year.