• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49er lb Jeff Ulbrich named UCLA’s defensive coordinator

crash

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Jeff Ulbrich, who spent 10 seasons with the 49ers as an inside linebacker and special-teams contributor, was promoted to UCLA’s defensive coordinator on Saturday.

“Coach ‘Brick’ is a natural fit for this position, having run an NFL defense for years as a player while honing his abilities to get the most out of his players as a coach,” UCLA coach Jim Mora said in a statement. “We couldn’t be more excited about this move.”

Ulbrich, 36, a San Jose native, was a third-round draft pick of the 49ers in 2000. He started 75 games in his career, which ended in October 2009 when he was placed on injured reserve with a concussion. He retired at the end of the season and immediately sought to begin a career in coaching.

Ulbrich played under head coaches Steve Mariucci, Dennis Erickson, Mike Nolan and Mike Singletary during his NFL career, which he spent entirely with the 49ers.

Seattle Seahawks coach Pete Carroll hired Ulbrich to his first coaching job as a special-teams assistant in 2010 and 2011. Mora, who coached Ulbrich during his time as 49ers defensive coordinator, hired Ulbrich as UCLA's special-teams coordinator/linebackers coach in 2012.

In addition to being the Bruins’ defensive coordinator, Ulbrich is also assistant head coach. He replaces former defensive coordinator Lou Spanos, now the linebackers coach for the Tennessee Titans.

In his two seasons as linebackers coach, Ulbrich helped lead the conversion of Anthony Barr, an H-back before Ulbrich arrived, to his current position as outside linebacker. Barr recorded 23.5 sacks the past two seasons and is likely to be a first-round pick in the NFL draft

Ex-49ers linebacker Ulbrich named UCLA defensive coordinator | CSN Bay Area

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Awesome! Good for him!

I always love when players go on to become coaches and it looks like he might be a bit of a rising star, being promoted to DC and assistant HC. Maybe he's being groomed for HC jobs in the future.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I think it goes without saying I'll be rooting for him. :D

...despite the fact that he worked for the enemy.

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I think it once again could prove that it isn't normally the most physically talented player that becomes the better coach. He was here the same time as Julian Peterson, but from the looks of it I would say Uhlbric will turn out to be the better coach. Not that I profess to know if Peterson is going/in coaching. In essence I am trying to say that players who have limited physical abilities generally make better coaches. Now there are always exceptions to the rule, but from what I have seen that is generally how it plays out.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
When Ulbrich was injured one time, Jamie Winborn made a huge play and made a 53 with his hands towards the sideline in homage of Ulbrich for coaching him up. He always had a coaching mindset, and I think he'll do well.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So he's working with former Niner Mike Johnson? Or did he leave/get fired?

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ulbrich's girldfriend used to live across the street from us in Honolulu. I'd see him a lot when he was in college and afterward when he'd come to visit after he got picked by the Niners. Seemed like a nice fella. Pretty good golfer too.