• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 4/7 Rays @ “Not Rebuilders”

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The frustrating thing about this year is that its not even a rebuilding year. The team is going to be awful (based only on the first week of games), yet there is no youth getting chances (except Duggar and Bergen and a couple of sophomore players). This season would be much more tolerable if a lot more young guys were playing and the team was working on re-stocking the organization. I kinda wish Bochy would have retired last year because I think the re-build is at least partially being pushed back to 2020 because of him. Now, 2019 is just a wasted year.

Watch, now the team will play at 500 the rest of the year, wasting the draft pick status and possibly flirt with a playoff spot before being eliminated in August.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The frustrating thing about this year is that its not even a rebuilding year. The team is going to be awful (based only on the first week of games), yet there is no youth getting chances (except Duggar and Bergen and a couple of sophomore players). This season would be much more tolerable if a lot more young guys were playing and the team was working on re-stocking the organization. I kinda wish Bochy would have retired last year because I think the re-build is at least partially being pushed back to 2020 because of him. Now, 2019 is just a wasted year.

Watch, now the team will play at 500 the rest of the year, wasting the draft pick status and possibly flirt with a playoff spot before being eliminated in August.
Same, hopefully there will be a lot of trades at the deadline. Really wish they gave Mac a better shot this year when he’s healthy. No idea what Pillar does for this team. He’s a guy we pick up in 2010 or 2012, not 2019. Nothing against him, he’s just a very awkward bridge. I was ok with Parra as a cheap, free (FA) that could help teach the kids and be a platoon/4th OF with Mac and Shaw.

I do feel bad tho, because I think Bochy deserves to go out with respect too.....

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There's going to be a lot of moves this year. It's still just the second week of April. Give it time. Like the article about the Rays that you posted, it doesn't necessarily matter what your record is, you can still amass talent in other ways. We just have to hope that the bullpen is lights-out, the starters are solid-to-good, and maybe some of the older hitters get hot at the right time.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's going to be a lot of moves this year. It's still just the second week of April. Give it time. Like the article about the Rays that you posted, it doesn't necessarily matter what your record is, you can still amass talent in other ways. We just have to hope that the bullpen is lights-out, the starters are solid-to-good, and maybe some of the older hitters get hot at the right time.
I wasn't thinking of the draft as the only way to amass talent. I was just thinking that if this team tanks, play the kids. If they don't tank, it hurts one area of getting talent.
I have to remember, too, what filo said. Bochy deserves some respect. So even if the Giants do play the year out with mediocre veterans, its allowing Bochy to do it his way once more as a thank you for all he's brought to the franchise. I guess he deserves that. I have to remember that "thank you" is really playing up to the one annoying aspect of his managing and it will drive me crazy at times.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah the pitching totally lost this game. When your offense gifts you zero runs you gotta win that one.

Again, for the 4,598th time -- I'm not complaining about losing the game; we are going to lose lots of games this year.

I'm complaining about a veteran ML pitcher not recording more than 12 outs.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a thought experiment, I looked at the PQS scores for the starters so far:

1. Bum @ SD 4
2. Turd @ SD 0
3. DRod@ SD 3
4. Poop@ SD 2
5. Pom @ LA 2
6. Bum @ LA 2
7. Turd @ LA 2
8. TB @ DRod 2
9. TB @ Poop 0
10. TB @ Pom 0

One dominant start; 6 mediocre; 3 disasters.

It doesn't get more SF

Last edited:

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, for the 4,598th time -- I'm not complaining about losing the game; we are going to lose lots of games this year.

I'm complaining about a veteran ML pitcher not recording more than 12 outs.
And again for the 4598th time, you're a lunatic

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, expecting a ML starter to reach the sixth inning is INSANE.

:wash:
I would suspect similar numbers across the board if your were to do that for all teams. Thus is the course of baseball, I fear.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would suspect similar numbers across the board if your were to do that for all teams. Thus is the course of baseball, I fear.
I wonder.

I think good staffs (of which we are supposedly one) likely have 1 or 2 Disaster starts, 3-4 good starts and 4 or so mediocre. In short, and I haven't done the research, this 10 game stretch was subaverage.