• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 4.7 Fraudres @ Spider

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was only replying to you saying this:

"If we aren’t gonna catch the Dodgers anyway, might as well play for the future imho."

Maybe I misunderstood
You play marginal veterans like Ahmed and Yaz/Slater when you’re trying to compete for the division. When you’re trying to build for the future, you play with guys that might be able to do it now, but need to learn too. Nothing that Ahmed has done now nor Yaz/Slater are doing now or in the recent past make me think they’ll help now or in the future. Why play them? If you have Betts/Ohtani/Freeman, sure play some defensive guys with no bats.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we were 6-4 right now, I’d preach more patience (maybe 10 more games) and maybe they’ll turn it around. But I just don’t see it after watching the games.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You play marginal veterans like Ahmed and Yaz/Slater when you’re trying to compete for the division. When you’re trying to build for the future, you play with guys that might be able to do it now, but need to learn too. Nothing that Ahmed has done now nor Yaz/Slater are doing now or in the recent past make me think they’ll help now or in the future. Why play them? If you have Betts/Ohtani/Freeman, sure play some defensive guys with no bats.
You gotta win as many games as you can whether you are trying to win the division or get a wild card. I don't disagree that the young guys should play if the vets aren't doing anything. They probably want to see more than 10 games for that.

Yaz might be done but Slater has always been valuable vs lefties. They see the same things we do, we'll see how it goes.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we were 6-4 right now, I’d preach more patience (maybe 10 more games) and maybe they’ll turn it around. But I just don’t see it after watching the games.
That's a bit odd, 2 games of the first 10 changes your team building philosophy?

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a bit odd, 2 games of the first 10 changes your team building philosophy?
Yes, if a team is “winning”, it’s harder to make changes even if lower down the totem pole. If Yaz was 28, I’m not saying this. He’s been trending down for awhile.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You gotta win as many games as you can whether you are trying to win the division or get a wild card. I don't disagree that the young guys should play if the vets aren't doing anything. They probably want to see more than 10 games for that.

Yaz might be done but Slater has always been valuable vs lefties. They see the same things we do, we'll see how it goes.
They know way more than I ever will. I’m a message boarder spouting off what I’d like to see.

But since you know that Ahmed and Yaz are going to lead us to WC and potential WS, I’ll stop.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They know way more than I ever will. I’m a message boarder spouting off what I’d like to see.

But since you know that Ahmed and Yaz are going to lead us to WC and potential WS, I’ll stop.
:rolleyes2:

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doval got his first save of the season on Sunday, and if you’re wondering if that’s weird, it sure is. Only two Giants teams in the San Francisco era didn’t have a save through their first nine games: 2009 and this season.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 defense/no bat players in the lineup. That’s pretty rough.
Through 78 innings, Nick Ahmed has recorded +2 Defensive Runs Saved and +4 Outs Above Average at shortstop. His throws have been a bit wild and his arm strength is not what it used to be, but the defensive metrics paint a favorable picture of his work so far.

Perhaps, at some point, the Giants will need to weigh whether they can muster more offense out of the lineup by adding someone like Marco Luciano. Anything Ahmed offers with the bat is a bonus, but he is doing what they expected him to do.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Through 78 innings, Nick Ahmed has recorded +2 Defensive Runs Saved and +4 Outs Above Average at shortstop. His throws have been a bit wild and his arm strength is not what it used to be, but the defensive metrics paint a favorable picture of his work so far.

Perhaps, at some point, the Giants will need to weigh whether they can muster more offense out of the lineup by adding someone like Marco Luciano. Anything Ahmed offers with the bat is a bonus, but he is doing what they expected him to do.
I would counter that he is doing below what won him the job out of camp. He is doing what he has always done, play excellent defense but provide little with the bat. In a bit of an ironic turn, he lost his job in Arizona to a young shortstop prospect who wasn’t as good defensively but provided more with the bat. So the Giants bring him to camp to challenge a young shortstop prospect who is not as good defensively but provides more with the bat. What got him noticed in camp was his bat and Luciano’s slow start seemed to have won him the job. If the Giants expected all glove and no bat when they gave him the job then there should never been talk about a competition in camp. It would have been Ahmed’s spot from the day he signed and Luciano had little chance.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would counter that he is doing below what won him the job out of camp. He is doing what he has always done, play excellent defense but provide little with the bat. In a bit of an ironic turn, he lost his job in Arizona to a young shortstop prospect who wasn’t as good defensively but provided more with the bat. So the Giants bring him to camp to challenge a young shortstop prospect who is not as good defensively but provides more with the bat. What got him noticed in camp was his bat and Luciano’s slow start seemed to have won him the job. If the Giants expected all glove and no bat when they gave him the job then there should never been talk about a competition in camp. It would have been Ahmed’s spot from the day he signed and Luciano had little chance.
I think they wanted Luci to win the job outright. He showed that the glove isn't quite ready and he didn't really hit either. So, they pivoted and got a GG shortstop. Nobody should have expected Ahmed to hit; he never has. He's done exactly what they should have expected. The good news: Luci is close to ready.