• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 4.30 Doghairs @ Poo Fillsmypants

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Despite the sequence, a meager FPOM groundout is exactly what I was expecting.
okay-sure-gif-6.gif

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s cuz they’re not hitting; our SP is REALLY good
tzill, a few years ago, it would have surprised me to see you so focused on the performance of the starting rotation. I get that this starting staff isn't anything to write home about, what part of the team is (maybe Gott and Sandoval)? But your focus on the starting rotation seems . . . odd.
Consider that the team is 28th in batting average, 30th in on base percentage and 28th in slugging percentage (making them 29th in OPS, Miami saves the day!), why does the starting pitching in particular bother you so much? Is it because you were once a pitcher? Is it due the historical dominance the team had in that part of the team in the early part of the decade?
The team's pitching staff has the 5th WHIP and the 8th best ERA in all of MLB. Batting average against puts them at 11th. Only two teams have issued fewer walks so far this season. Strikeouts are weak, they rank 18th, and quality starts is not good, tied for 25th with Texas. However, that number is fairly bunched. They are just as close to 13th as they are to 30th in QS. Again, not a great pitching staff but I'd say slightly above average.
Are you doing this to get a reaction? Are you convinced that the starting rotation is the worst part of the team? Or are you just focused on their performance and how it doesn't live up to your standards? Not trying to pick a fight, just curious to know where you are coming from on this issue.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tzill, a few years ago, it would have surprised me to see you so focused on the performance of the starting rotation. I get that this starting staff isn't anything to write home about, what part of the team is (maybe Gott and Sandoval)? But your focus on the starting rotation seems . . . odd.
Consider that the team is 28th in batting average, 30th in on base percentage and 28th in slugging percentage (making them 29th in OPS, Miami saves the day!), why does the starting pitching in particular bother you so much? Is it because you were once a pitcher? Is it due the historical dominance the team had in that part of the team in the early part of the decade?
The team's pitching staff has the 5th WHIP and the 8th best ERA in all of MLB. Batting average against puts them at 11th. Only two teams have issued fewer walks so far this season. Strikeouts are weak, they rank 18th, and quality starts is not good, tied for 25th with Texas. However, that number is fairly bunched. They are just as close to 13th as they are to 30th in QS. Again, not a great pitching staff but I'd say slightly above average.
Are you doing this to get a reaction? Are you convinced that the starting rotation is the worst part of the team? Or are you just focused on their performance and how it doesn't live up to your standards? Not trying to pick a fight, just curious to know where you are coming from on this issue.

I have NEVER said the SP is the worst part of the team. Anyone with two eyes can see it's the hitting. I've always been a fan of pitching. I enjoy 3-2 games. I do NOT like 10-9 games. But here's the thing: I know the 2019 hitting is going to be awful. I know the 2019 bullpen is going to be elite. The only part of the team that I was unsure of was the SP. I'd have taken slightly above average. However, this group is not that. They are mediocre and trending toward bad. How anyone can argue that is beyond me. The metrics show it. The eyeball test shows it. They are not good. DRod looks good. Bum looks in decline. The other three are crappy.

If the board wants to focus on the absolute awfulness of the hitting, that's fine. I'm disinterested in how bad it is. It really doesn't matter to me because I expect nothing out of the hitters. Good SP makes the game interesting for me and gives me a reason to watch. Bad SP leads to lots of shutting off the game in the third. Sustained shitty SP leads me to stop following the team. As a baseball fan, that sucks.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have NEVER said the SP is the worst part of the team. Anyone with two eyes can see it's the hitting. I've always been a fan of pitching. I enjoy 3-2 games. I do NOT like 10-9 games. But here's the thing: I know the 2019 hitting is going to be awful. I know the 2019 bullpen is going to be elite. The only part of the team that I was unsure of was the SP. I'd have taken slightly above average. However, this group is not that. They are mediocre and trending toward bad. How anyone can argue that is beyond me. The metrics show it. The eyeball test shows it. They are not good. DRod looks good. Bum looks in decline. The other three are crappy.

If the board wants to focus on the absolute awfulness of the hitting, that's fine. I'm disinterested in how bad it is. It really doesn't matter to me because I expect nothing out of the hitters. Good SP makes the game interesting for me and gives me a reason to watch. Bad SP leads to lots of shutting off the game in the third. Sustained shitty SP leads me to stop following the team. As a baseball fan, that sucks.
You don't seem too happy with that 3-2 win over the Dodgers we just had

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't seem too happy with that 3-2 win over the Dodgers we just had

I turned it off in the sixth. To my point: weak SP causes me to become disinterested in the game.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I turned it off in the sixth. To my point: weak SP causes me to become disinterested in the game.
And because you are insane, 5 innings of shutout ball is weak SP to you . No amount of protesting on your part can change this perception. You have a screw loose on this specific topic. Doesn't make you a bad person, we all have our quirks.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And because you are insane, 5 innings of shutout ball is weak SP to you . No amount of protesting on your part can change this perception. You have a screw loose on this specific topic. Doesn't make you a bad person, we all have our quirks.

I'm constantly amazed how you go ad hominem every single time. If you disagree with my take, that's fine. There is no reason to get personal. And yes, a starter going five and dive isn't good pitching. It might work, and Monday it did. But it's not sustainable.

But, feel free to have the last word and personal attack. I think we both know where the other stands on this. Agree to disagree.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm constantly amazed how you go ad hominem every single time. If you disagree with my take, that's fine. There is no reason to get personal. And yes, a starter going five and dive isn't good pitching. It might work, and Monday it did. But it's not sustainable.

But, feel free to have the last word and personal attack. I think we both know where the other stands on this. Agree to disagree.
If you can't handle good natured teasing when arguing about sports you might be a little thin skinned. But of course we will agree to disagree.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

tzill, thanks for responding. That does help me understand more where you are coming from on this topic.