• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 4.26 Pebbles @ Disco

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And YET!

With a decent bullpen, we have the best record in baseball by a couple of games.
True. In fairness, so would the Dodgers lol. KJ has gotten fried at least twice iirc.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe they have to either pick up his option or release him. $22M is a loooooooot of scratch for a part time catcher...
I am pretty sure that the existence of an option is immaterial here. If the player becomes a FA, no matter the course, he is eligible to receive a QO, as long as he is otherwise eligible to receive a QO (full season with team, never received one before, etc).

However, the existence of the option is a good point into the calculus of wanting to go that route, though. If they want him back, they might just activate the option instead. It would only cost the Giants approx 1M, assuming a QO is 18M (the buyout is 3M). And I suspect a QO would actually be 19M this year rather than 18M, so picking up the option vs Posey accepting a QO may be essentially equal.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to clarify my last post a bit...

Posey’s option is for 22M.
The buyout is 3M.

So if they want him back, it would only cost them an additional 19M since the 3M is already essentially in Posey’s pocket (a pocket full of Posey’s money?)

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kinda related, but not really...

Talking about the 2016 Giants and what really happened got me thinking about how Bum left (both are unanswered questions with clear stories in the background).

Last spring, Bum was asked during his intro to Arizona why he chose to leave the Giants and his response was that there was a story there, but that he didn’t want to address it at that time (appropriate, as it was his into to his new team, not his exit from his old team). He said he would address that question later in spring.

Well, as we all know, the world kinda got distracted a few weeks later, and he never answered the question (at least not that I saw). Has any seem this question re-asked of him?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am pretty sure that the existence of an option is immaterial here. If the player becomes a FA, no matter the course, he is eligible to receive a QO, as long as he is otherwise eligible to receive a QO (full season with team, never received one before, etc).

However, the existence of the option is a good point into the calculus of wanting to go that route, though. If they want him back, they might just activate the option instead. It would only cost the Giants approx 1M, assuming a QO is 18M (the buyout is 3M). And I suspect a QO would actually be 19M this year rather than 18M, so picking up the option vs Posey accepting a QO may be essentially equal.
I'll wait for someone who knows for sure how this works, but I wouldn't be surprised that you can't offer the QO to a player whose option you don't pick up.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can’t find anything about it on the innerwebs, but I seem to remember this very situation came up a year or two ago...

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can’t find anything about it on the innerwebs, but I seem to remember this very situation came up a year or two ago...
I totally believe you; its just counterintuitive.

And baseball is never that....

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kinda related, but not really...

Talking about the 2016 Giants and what really happened got me thinking about how Bum left (both are unanswered questions with clear stories in the background).

Last spring, Bum was asked during his intro to Arizona why he chose to leave the Giants and his response was that there was a story there, but that he didn’t want to address it at that time (appropriate, as it was his into to his new team, not his exit from his old team). He said he would address that question later in spring.

Well, as we all know, the world kinda got distracted a few weeks later, and he never answered the question (at least not that I saw). Has any seem this question re-asked of him?
@hankschulman