• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

4/16/2007, five years later....

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, today is one of those days that we all feel a little bit closer to each other. I honestly can not believe it has been 5 years. I am not really good at this type of thing but here goes.

First, I am not someone who really likes to memorialize the sad. I like to be positive on things so I guess maybe you will understand, if I explain. To me, five years ago two things happened. First, 32 beautiful people left this earth to be with the loved ones who had already left, and set things up for the loved ones they left behind. Second, the world got to see our community handle an immense crisis and tragedy and I have never been so proud to be a Hokie. April, 16, 2007- The day the world got to see how awesome it is to be a Hokie.

Take a little time and do what you do to remember. Share your thoughts. We may laugh and joke and bitch and moan about out football and basketball team here, but we are all also part of a bigger community and brotherhood. This little section of the interwebz is a door to that community and a place where we can joke and support etc.

So, love to all my Hokies. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

We will Prevail!

Hokies.

hokiecheme11

Mr. Manager
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was still a senior in high school. Like every sensible person, I had already made up my mind that I was going to attend. I remember so many people imploring me to reconsider, how I won't be safe, blah blah blah.

I don't have the same memories as a lot of you because I wasn't a Hokie yet, but I was resolved to be one and nothing was going to change that.

Papalou

disMEMBER
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
God be with those who were effected by the events 5 years ago.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember teaching that morning and then seeing on CNN's website what was happening. During lunch I had the TV on watching all of the details wondering if friends and colleagues I still knew there made it okay. Trying to keep it together for the rest of the school day was difficult.

During the gathering a couple days later in which President Bush attended, I watched with tears streaming down my face in sadness. Then at the end of the ceremony, when Giovanni gave her We Will Prevail poem/speech, my tears had became more than sadness. They came from being so proud to be a member of a community in which at the worst time imaginable, solidarity and feelings of being a part of a family took over with the chant "Let's Go!......Hokies!" echoing for the whole world to see.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of my very close friends was in Norris that day and was shot 3 times. There is a picture of her being pulled out of the building by 2 guys that was pretty famous, although I do not care to post it right now. By some act of God, her, and one of my other buddies were 2 of only 3 people that survived in their French class.

She set up a foundation dedicated to school safety you can check out here
Koshka Foundation - Just another WordPress site
They actually had a 5k in the DC area I ran in this weekend. There were probably 300 or so Tech alumni there.

My other friend ended up staring (can't think of better word) in the HBO documentary Gun Fight, and is extremely active in gun control initiatives now. I highly recommend the documentary if you haven't seen it.

VT Family RIP

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember teaching that morning and then seeing on CNN's website what was happening. During lunch I had the TV on watching all of the details wondering if friends and colleagues I still knew there made it okay. Trying to keep it together for the rest of the school day was difficult.

During the gathering a couple days later in which President Bush attended, I watched with tears streaming down my face in sadness. Then at the end of the ceremony, when Giovanni gave her We Will Prevail poem/speech, my tears had became more than sadness. They came from being so proud to be a member of a community in which at the worst time imaginable, solidarity and feelings of being a part of a family took over with the chant "Let's Go!......Hokies!" echoing for the whole world to see.

I am with you 100% on that. Had basically the exact same reaction.

It was a very hard few days for me. My Grandmother (who I was very close with) passed away on Friday April 13, 2007 and I left Blacksburg that afternoon to head to Chesapeake for the service, and to be with my family. I didn't want to stay away from Blacksburg for long, I figured the best way for me to cope, was to try to keep my life busy and keep my normal routine going, so I decided to wake up Monday morning and start the drive back to Blacksburg.

I woke up, my Mom was fixing breakfast, and I turned on the news and first started seeing what was happening. I'm not sure why, but when seeing all of it unfold, I got an overwhelming feeling that I needed to get back right away. Naturally, my Mom did not agree, so for her sake I stayed in Chesapeake for a few more hours and got back to Blacksburg Monday night....it was a very strange feeling in town that night.

Even though my classes would not have had me anywhere close to Norris, my parents and relatives liked to say that even in her death, my Grandmother was protecting me by keeping me out of town that day.

R.I.P. Hokie family
R.I.P. Grandma

We Are Virginia Tech.

Ray

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am with you 100% on that. Had basically the exact same reaction.

It was a very hard few days for me. My Grandmother (who I was very close with) passed away on Friday April 13, 2007 and I left Blacksburg that afternoon to head to Chesapeake for the service, and to be with my family. I didn't want to stay away from Blacksburg for long, I figured the best way for me to cope, was to try to keep my life busy and keep my normal routine going, so I decided to wake up Monday morning and start the drive back to Blacksburg.

I woke up, my Mom was fixing breakfast, and I turned on the news and first started seeing what was happening. I'm not sure why, but when seeing all of it unfold, I got an overwhelming feeling that I needed to get back right away. Naturally, my Mom did not agree, so for her sake I stayed in Chesapeake for a few more hours and got back to Blacksburg Monday night....it was a very strange feeling in town that night.

Even though my classes would not have had me anywhere close to Norris, my parents and relatives liked to say that even in her death, my Grandmother was protecting me by keeping me out of town that day.

R.I.P. Hokie family
R.I.P. Grandma

We Are Virginia Tech.

as did i, I think it was my freshman year in highschool when it happened. I went to Magna Vista High, which is very pro Hokie School. It hurt everyone. and the next day you seen before class, all the different clicks get to gether to say a prayer for VT. everyone had on orange and Maroon. It broke my heart to see it happen. Still gives me the chills to watch all the tribute videos.

To the 32 who lost their lives, Always Remembered and Never Forgotten.

Last edited by a moderator:

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
One of my very close friends was in Norris that day and was shot 3 times. There is a picture of her being pulled out of the building by 2 guys that was pretty famous, although I do not care to post it right now. By some act of God, her, and one of my other buddies were 2 of only 3 people that survived in their French class.

She set up a foundation dedicated to school safety you can check out here
Koshka Foundation - Just another WordPress site
They actually had a 5k in the DC area I ran in this weekend. There were probably 300 or so Tech alumni there.

My other friend ended up staring (can't think of better word) in the HBO documentary Gun Fight, and is extremely active in gun control initiatives now. I highly recommend the documentary if you haven't seen it.

VT Family RIP

I believe you are talking about Kristina, who I actually know too. I've known her since high school through mutual friends. I still remember seeing her in between classes in Norris, as I had class right after her across the hall (was on my way to class that day when the BT pulled over and stopped after hearing the news to stay put on the radio). Definitely one of the hardest days I've ever had to endure, especially when my friend told me she had been shot. Still can't believe how well the VT community responded after that day.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the professor's killed, G.V. Loganathan, taught a Fluid Mechanics course I took in 1998. He always had a smile on his face and made the course one of the more enjoyable Civil Engineering core requirements I had.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as did i, I think it was my freshman year in highschool when it happened. I went to Magna Vista High, which is very pro Hokie School. It hurt everyone. and the next day you seen before class, all the different clicks get to gether to say a prayer for VT. everyone had on orange and Maroon. It broke my heart to see it happen. Still gives me the chills to watch all the tribute videos.

To the 32 who lost their lives, Always Remembered and Never Forgotten.

Small world. I was teaching a Geometry class that morning at Bassett. It was indeed a great thing to see everyone in our schools pulling together whether they were a Hokie or not.

Our school newspaper (the PawPrint) asked any faculty member to submit anything they'd like in remembrance a few days after the shootings and along with a short essay I wrote, I spent a couple hours that night before drawing the following in between breaking down myself. I called it "Wiping Away the Tears". I wish I would have spent a lot more time on it, but had the deadline of needing it done by the next morning.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Wiping away the tears 4-18-07.jpg
    Wiping away the tears 4-18-07.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 48

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Logan Thomas 3⃣‏@Lthomas_3Reply

People who visit tech always ask me why people are so friendly here. I say its because were a strong family! neVer forgeT

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't mean to start anything so don't take this the wrong way. I'm just trying to see if people feel similar to how I do or if I'm messed up in the head.

Honestly, the shooting wasn't the first thing that popped into my head today when I saw it was April 16th. In fact, I don't really feel all that somber about it. Don't get me wrong, I respect those that do, it's not like I'm out partying or anything. I just feel awkward because I don't feel much of anything yet I see my friends on facebook and elsewhere posting little notes and such. For me (thankfully), no one I knew was involved so I don't feel the pain that others do so obviously I wouldn't have such a range of emotions that goes along with losing some one close to you or surviving such a traumatic encounter. That's not to say I have a "welp, I'm ok. Who cares about anyone else" attitude. I still feel a sense of pride and family the way everyone came together. It's just, I don't know. It strikes me in weird way to see people's reactions as time goes by. I don't know if I should feel more than I should or what.

I suppose we all handle tragedy differently. And for something on this magnitude, it would definitely draw up various emotions for all those who experienced it on campus as I did and those who weren't on campus be it alumni or future Hokies.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't mean to start anything so don't take this the wrong way. I'm just trying to see if people feel similar to how I do or if I'm messed up in the head.

Honestly, the shooting wasn't the first thing that popped into my head today when I saw it was April 16th. In fact, I don't really feel all that somber about it. Don't get me wrong, I respect those that do, it's not like I'm out partying or anything. I just feel awkward because I don't feel much of anything yet I see my friends on facebook and elsewhere posting little notes and such. For me (thankfully), no one I knew was involved so I don't feel the pain that others do so obviously I wouldn't have such a range of emotions that goes along with losing some one close to you or surviving such a traumatic encounter. That's not to say I have a "welp, I'm ok. Who cares about anyone else" attitude. I still feel a sense of pride and family the way everyone came together. It's just, I don't know. It strikes me in weird way to see people's reactions as time goes by. I don't know if I should feel more than I should or what.

I suppose we all handle tragedy differently. And for something on this magnitude, it would definitely draw up various emotions for all those who experienced it on campus as I did and those who weren't on campus be it alumni or future Hokies.

This is your answer. Everyone handles negativity and tragedy differently, and some people create defense mechanisms at an early age to help them deal with those situations. Everyone here has there own ways of dealing with things whether it be from genetics or past experiences.

Taz_Hokie

Ut Prosim
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Personally, I had been out of school for 7+ years at the time of the shootings, but I remember sitting at work, listening to the news, eyes leaking and filled with grief. Just listening to the play by play (as it were) and hearing all the familiar names created a pretty vivid image in my head. This place was home to me for years and I usually make it down there a couple times a year still. Maybe I'm just too emotional, but for something like to to happen to a place I consider home and to people that are family, it just took its toll.

Go Hokies, neVer forgeT.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I spent seven years going to school at Tech from 1969 to 1976, and living in a town that I grew to love. It was the longest time I had lived anywhere, and was home for all intents and purposes. I had the opportunity to meet a lot of people at Tech and made a lot of friends among the students, faculty, and townspeople.

I broke down and cried while I watched the events of 4-16 unfold on the television. This terrible event took place at my beloved university and in my adopted home town! Kids who could have been my children were senselessly murdered by a lunatic.

But I was the most emotional, and filled with pride, when Hokies from all over the world banded together to express their solidarity in the face of a horrible event.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I spent seven years going to school at Tech from 1969 to 1976, and living in a town that I grew to love. It was the longest time I had lived anywhere, and was home for all intents and purposes. I had the opportunity to meet a lot of people at Tech and made a lot of friends among the students, faculty, and townspeople.

I broke down and cried while I watched the events of 4-16 unfold on the television. This terrible event took place at my beloved university and in my adopted home town! Kids who could have been my children were senselessly murdered by a lunatic.

But I was the most emotional, and filled with pride, when Hokies from all over the world banded together to express their solidarity in the face of a horrible event.

This.

Blacksburg and VT are a real home for me and thousands of other Hokies. I spent 6 great years there and got to know many great people. I know that my emotions will gradually subside as years go by, but as of this moment, I will still tear up when revisiting that day in my mind even though I personally was 1.5 hours away. I had had a few casual lunches with Dr. Librescu during my graduate years and hearing of his heroic actions made me reconsider my own actions and how I would react to a similar situation as a teacher. I don't know, it just hit home with me.

We are a family and not only do I tear up at the somber reminders of the tragic losses, but of the way Hokies from across the world came together even stronger and showed the world that we will only get stronger as a community. A sense of overwhelming pride of being a part of something bigger than myself speaks volumes. I am proud to put on my class ring every day, because it is a connection to all of the great memories I have and to all of those current students and alumni that have walked down the same drillfield path.