• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2nd half collpase

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone has made valid points. I don't know what is going on anymore. Mistakes. Mistakes. Mistakes. Its getting ridiculous. How do you lose this game? The Vikings had a backup o line last night and it didn't even matter. Something is seriously wrong.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone has made valid points. I don't know what is going on anymore. Mistakes. Mistakes. Mistakes. Its getting ridiculous. How do you lose this game? The Vikings had a backup o line last night and it didn't even matter. Something is seriously wrong.

Doc Walker made me laugh when I heard him say... Paraphrasing here.... It's like we don't know how to be the mean dog on the block, how to TAKE the victory and shake it in the other teams face...

This season has been hell on all of us, primarily because a different phase of the game FAILS each week. Our only consistent spot has been new ways for the STs to fail and torture us and our ability to be INCONSISTENT.

In the most ironic of all things, we've mirrored the damn cowboys some of this season, in finding new and different ways to collapse. It's beyond disheartening. And continues to be a head scratcher as to how to address the problems. Is it systemic? Is it mental? Is it talent? Is it circumstance? The reality is, it's a little bit of everything and that's what makes it such a bitter pill to swallow and a difficult thing to attack.

The very obvious bright side that we can at least enjoy and take pride in. We've got a spectacular core group of guys on offense:

Alfred
Garçon
Griffin
Reed
Trent

Mustard Tiger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're right, we do have some solid players with real talent. It too baffles me as to what happens when this starts their nosedive. As fans, we all know when it starts, when we first spot the small leak in the dam. It's just so frustrating when it you know that the other teams "rally" won't end until we are behind on the scoreboard. Sometimes we have enough in us to come back like we did vs Chicago, San Diego, and almost vs the Vikings. Against the Denver, once opened, the floodgates never closed. Maybe its mental, our team just can't seem to put mistakes behind them. Have you ever noticed how every time we drop a sure interception, the next play is a long TD for them? Or when we stop them on 3rd down, but get a personal foul, the next play is a TD. I don't get it.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you ever noticed how every time we drop a sure interception, the next play is a long TD for them? Or when we stop them on 3rd down, but get a personal foul, the next play is a TD. I don't get it.

I have noticed that irony this year! But I am long accustomed to such ridiculousness, occurring for skins fans and should probably be more shocked that I still get surprised with the ways we come up with FAILS.

Honestly, being a skins fan is the most joyous and heart breaking thing, simultaneously, year after year. With the exception of a few years in the past 20, we've been like a train wreck that you can't tear your eyes from. How I miss the glory days. I try and remind myself that I, at least, got to experience them. Some of these younger fans only got a taste of it last year. And sadly, look how that ended...

Mustard Tiger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh the glory days! I still remember the 1991 season when a former coworker (who was a bitter Baltimore Colt fan who blamed the Redskins) would ask me each week who the best team in football was. I would reply the Skins, and he would reply the Buffalo Bills. We all know how that worked out:yahoo:

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I go even further back than that. College and the 80's. What a joy to be so confident and proud of who your team was. The Gibbs days were such a pleasure. Such a great group of character guys and the most decent and humble man ever in a coach. Thankfully, I see some return of that in this teams cast of players. It gives me hope.

Mustard Tiger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was like 14 years old watching Doug Williams and that 2nd quarter. I hope the younger fans get to see something like that. I believe this offense is capable of it. I think we need another receiver who is a deep threat, more experience from Rg3, and some consistency all around. We saw a glimpse of the possibility on Thursday with the first five possessions leading to scores. Then the lack of consistency crashed the party.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That quarter was a piece of history and glory to behold! My god, we were good that day. It was an incredible high. We were just unstoppable.

I see glimpses and flashes of that in our current offense as well. That is what gives me such hope for the future. I don't think I ever remember seeing such promise or sheer talent in any other rookie QB as I did last year with Griff. (Luck comes close) Robert has the potential to be truly great. I only hope that we protect and develop him wisely, and surround him with the right pieces for success to be sustainable for years to come. We've waited a lifetime for a QB that could get it done again.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be the old guy here. I go back to the 60s when the team had no defense and no running game. It was Sonny, Charley, Bobby Mitchell and Jerry Smith. We got Lombardi and then he was good. Then Allen and Redskin football was changed. Gibbs came in the 80s, our glory years. I miss those days. Getting older you wonder if they will ever turn it around.

Any old folks like me will remember Larry Brown. What a RB. A coworker said Alf looked like Brown Thursday night. I hadn't thought about it but agree they have similar styles. Hell I wore that number in HS because I like Brown so much. I am going to wear it today. My nephew is starting RB for my old high school, they are ranked No. 5 in the DC metro area. It is senior day for him. 40 years after I was last there. I think I'll tease Lamont Jordan about being the senior alum there. :yahoo:

Honestly I don't know which way to go with the Skins. I think Shanahan has done a lot of good things for our team but man the record is what it is. I think he has had hurdles every year but still we stuggle. Like all of you I want to see our team win again. We have some good pieces. Cali is right. I hope whoever is here develops Griffin. He could be the best QB since Jurgensen but he needs someone to teach him. The skills are there.

I know one thing. I have watched my nephews for the past 6 years at high school. They have consistently been in the top 20 every year. Some years with pretty good talent others with a little less. But they execute, they play really hard and they believe in themselves. They don't lose games to the Minnesota's of their league. The Redskins need to get back to beating the teams they should and then trying to win enough of the big games to be a good team.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are of the same vintage. I grew up here and have been a skins fan since the Jurgenson/Brown days. We've seen it all with this team. As Cali pointed out, we have talent. If you look at our offense, we have PB caliber players and the 5 most important positions, QB, RB, #1 WR, RT and TE. This is good news for the future, but is also what makes our current situation so frustrating. While the rest of our OL is weak, we still can move the ball on anyone, if we play to our strengths and not expose our weaknesses. This is where I take issues with Kyle's play calling at times. Clearly we do not have the talent, not does RG3 have the experience, to be an effective drop back passing team (at this point). Our strength is in movement. We have a mobile OL. We have a mobile QB and we have one of the best cut back running backs in the league. Why we continue to put RG3 in danger and expose our weaknesses with 7 step drop back plays is beyond me. I get you mix them in occasionally. But until we can address the interior OL and RG3 has a full preseason to work on his reads in this scheme, these plays need to be the exception, not the rule. In the 4th QTR, Kyle ran back to back 7 step drop plays, both resulting in sacks. Just bad play calling. Move the pocket, give RG3 options. He is a much better QB on the move than stationary.

I have no doubt that if his health holds out, RG3 can become a very good pocket passer. He has the arm and he is very intelligent. He just needs time to develop this skill.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People are really over analyzing this season. Last season was magical and all and the Skins played way way over their heads. They are playing with a 18% cap reduction. Where does that kill teams? Depth and special teams. In a sport where the margin between good and bad is razor thin, it is almost impossible to compete with that kind of hinderance. The team will re-bolster this offseason with better talent and more depth in the defensive backfield, on the OL and at WR. Special teams will significantly improve as well. Last year was magical and anything over 5 wins this tear would be magical as well. True evaluation has to come in 2014 and 2015 when they are competing on an even playing field.

It isn't much more complicated than that.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great to hear some of the back story of being a skins fan, sportster and j_y! Really gives a sense of the history and loyalty of this fan base. Never get tired of hearing these types of stories. Gives one a real sense of shared community. Sports is weird like that. It's one of the few things in life that creates an instant bond that bridges all differences and allows instant connection and interaction amongst so many different people.

That's just one of the many reasons I love football. Hail!

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People are really over analyzing this season. Last season was magical and all and the Skins played way way over their heads. They are playing with a 18% cap reduction. Where does that kill teams? Depth and special teams. In a sport where the margin between good and bad is razor thin, it is almost impossible to compete with that kind of hinderance. The team will re-bolster this offseason with better talent and more depth in the defensive backfield, on the OL and at WR. Special teams will significantly improve as well. Last year was magical and anything over 5 wins this tear would be magical as well. True evaluation has to come in 2014 and 2015 when they are competing on an even playing field.

It isn't much more complicated than that.

All your points are well made and I agree that many of this seasons woes can be attributed to them.

It doesn't account for sheer lack of execution, however. Or different parts of the team showing up and then not showing up. Even a roster without talent in certain areas can provide consistency in play, without roller coastering every week. That is the primary frustration for me. I simply want to see a complete game this year.