• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 Draft Grade:

What grade would you give the 49ers Draft?

• A+

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • A

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A-

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • B+

• B

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • B-

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • C+

• C

• C-

• D

• F

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please Pick Grade explain why? Breakdown of each pick is an added bonus.

Sandisfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The first pick was to an extent a no brain-er but losing a mid rounder was a bit steep to move up not that far to get the OG... The rest is up in the air and the Seven late picks rounds 5 to 7 are lottery scratchers. I can't say I hate the draft but unless there is a very good hit rate this group doesn't really advance the talent base up the ladder all that much to compete in the up coming years.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love the Buckner pick. He should make an impact right away. Hated to give up a 4th rounder and a 6th rounder to move up back into the 1st round and take a Guard. But with rumors circulating that the Seahawks wanted to draft Garnett, Niners had to make the move. Practically Niners got a 1st for their 2nd round pick plus the 4th and 6th. Redmond pick was high risk/high reward depending if he recovers from his ACL injury. If he does not redshirt and is able to play nickel, then the pick is good. He might eventually start if he is healthy. Robinson is talented and has size, but lots of red flags. Was kicked off from LSU for academic reasons and was also suspended for failing a drug test. He hasn't played a down of football in 18 months. Truly your high risk/high reward scenario. The Blair pick is intriguing and I think he can play NT. He has the quickness to shoot the gaps. It remains to be seen how many of the 11 players drafted will make the roster or the practice squad. As far as grading this draft, I will give it a B- because of the first two picks alone. It Redmond, Robinson and Blair pan out, then it would be an A.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gave it a B. This draft was hard to find impact talent so I think the 9ers did okay.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gave it a B-. I love the Day 1 of the draft. Day one was a A for me. would of been an A+ if we didn't give up too much. After knowing Seattle wanted him I can understand it by Baalke. He went up to get his guy. We found 2 starters. thats the good thing.

Day 2 and 3:
I really think Baalke should of used his picks better and should of moved up to try and get more starters. He went CB and OLine happy in the draft. I don't see much upside with a lot of the picks. The 1 CB is suppose to be really good and coming off an injury. Should be ready. Most experts say 49ers played it safe with our picks. Some will become starters or Depth players but chances of hitting a top player in slim they said.

This team didn't need all those 5th and 6th rd picks. Should of traded up to get better talent.

Im still shocked we didn't grab an ILB.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
A- but it was a close call with B+

Agree with the things already posted, the trade up for Garnett seemed panicky? Whether Seattle was going to take him or not, you draft according to YOUR team. I'm sure Garnett will be a good player, but is the difference between him and Cody Whitehair that big? Then you read he is more suited for power blocking?

IF Hammond's ACL injury isn't that bad, that is a good pick Don't rush him on the field, ease him in.

Rashard Robinson is where i have a LITTLE issue with. I get the high risk/high reward thinking, but was this the year/round to do it? He seems too light for someone good in press coverage?

I like the 5th round picks......Blair had good production in college, so he has a decent chance to make the team. he seems to have a good ability to shoot gaps, and sometimes you need this to disrupt the offense. You don't expect top guys to come out of the 5th and later rounds, so with this in mind, like what i'm reading. IF even one of these OT's can become a good swing tackle, taking two of them is ok.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A- but it was a close call with B+

Agree with the things already posted, the trade up for Garnett seemed panicky? Whether Seattle was going to take him or not, you draft according to YOUR team. I'm sure Garnett will be a good player, but is the difference between him and Cody Whitehair that big? Then you read he is more suited for power blocking?

IF Hammond's ACL injury isn't that bad, that is a good pick Don't rush him on the field, ease him in.

Rashard Robinson is where i have a LITTLE issue with. I get the high risk/high reward thinking, but was this the year/round to do it? He seems too light for someone good in press coverage?

I like the 5th round picks......Blair had good production in college, so he has a decent chance to make the team. he seems to have a good ability to shoot gaps, and sometimes you need this to disrupt the offense. You don't expect top guys to come out of the 5th and later rounds, so with this in mind, like what i'm reading. IF even one of these OT's can become a good swing tackle, taking two of them is ok.

I'm not surprised you gave him a higher grade.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I went with a B- because I do think they got two starters with the first two picks. I would have been happier had they not traded as much to move back into the 1st round. On day two I didn't care for taking another injured player even if he is going to be ready and I didn't think he was the best CB available. I don't mind taking more O-Line help but an ILB should have been taken at some point and that's why I went with a lower grade, I considered going with a C+ but on the strength of the 1st round I went B-.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm not surprised you gave him a higher grade.

But you forgot my reasoning for it, i'll leave it at that.

Now for you, someone who said Baalke is HORRIBLE and don't have faith in him......you gave him a B-?! If he was so bad, you would have given him an F.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But you forgot my reasoning for it, i'll leave it at that.

Now for you, someone who said Baalke is HORRIBLE and don't have faith in him......you gave him a B-?! If he was so bad, you would have given him an F.

Well a B- to C+ isn't great when you were picking in the top 10 in rounds just my opinion. You should be a solid B+ to A when picking that high so I still don't consider it a huge success. I've seen grades of a B+, C, and C- so he didn't kill this draft.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deep, I would say the team needed starters at RT, RG, LG, at least one WR position, TE, and QB at the start of the offseason. If they didn't need a starter I would say they certainly had questions about each of those positions on offense. On Defense they needed an ILB, CB, and a pass rushing OLB/DE for the 3-4. Once again if you believe they have players capable of starter on the roster at those positions I would say they at least have some question marks at those positions. So by the start of the draft they had signed a OG Zane Beadles who you claim should be a quality player, we'll go with your evaluation. Entering the Draft the team needed a RT, RG, WR, TE, QB, ILB, CB, and OLB/DE. How many players did Baalke draft that will likely start at any of those positions and be quality players? I can say 1 OG Garnett in the 1st round, now Buckner will likely start at one of the 3-4 DE positions and provide some pass rushing ability but most would have liked to get a OLB who's basic purpose is to get after the QB and I don't think that will be how he is used. So Baalke added two starters one at a position of need and added a bunch more CB's and O-Lineman that may or may not contribute or be anything more than depth. The same could also be said of every other position he drafted so I'm giving him a B- because he did get two legit starters and one of the top talents in the draft in Buckner and added depth but he should have gotten at least 3 starters out of this draft and I don't think he will.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't grade these drafts. I like PFF's analysis of the draft below. Sick really liked Arizona's draft. PFF doesn't seem to agree. I can no longer access Mel Kiper's grades bec I no longer have Insider. I am going to look at others.

2016 NFL draft grades for all 32 teams

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't grade these drafts. I like PFF's analysis of the draft below. Sick really liked Arizona's draft. PFF doesn't seem to agree. I can no longer access Mel Kiper's grades bec I no longer have Insider. I am going to look at others.

2016 NFL draft grades for all 32 teams

He gave them a C, liked Buckner but felt they made questionable picks after that. I saw video or most of that without insider so that's as in depth as I can get with Kiper's grade of the 49ers draft.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said I think Baalke did an ok job on Day 1. I can live with the trade. We picked up 2 starters. I like the CB with a lot of upside. It wasnt a redshirt player like he usually makes but a guy coming off an injury. A lot of experts like this player. I think we took a nice chance on DL who played poor comp but dominated. Our last pick can be a nice special teams player. I said coming into this draft we had a chance to land 3-4 starters from almost day 1. We only got 2 with a chance of another one getting playing time. The others are for depth only with an outside chance of starting by year 2-3.

I just felt we needed more. Like some one said drafting in the top 10 in each rd and the amount of picks we had we should of got more talent then we did. We have a lot of holes and we didnt fill a lot of them. We still have MLB and OLB holes. I do think we covered Oline and Dline and we should be better in those areas.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said I think Baalke did an ok job on Day 1. I can live with the trade. We picked up 2 starters. I like the CB with a lot of upside. It wasnt a redshirt player like he usually makes but a guy coming off an injury. A lot of experts like this player. I think we took a nice chance on DL who played poor comp but dominated. Our last pick can be a nice special teams player. I said coming into this draft we had a chance to land 3-4 starters from almost day 1. We only got 2 with a chance of another one getting playing time. The others are for depth only with an outside chance of starting by year 2-3.

I just felt we needed more. Like some one said drafting in the top 10 in each rd and the amount of picks we had we should of got more talent then we did. We have a lot of holes and we didnt fill a lot of them. We still have MLB and OLB holes. I do think we covered Oline and Dline and we should be better in those areas.

I've looked at draft grades from various sites. It varies quite a bit from site to site for all the NFL teams. Opinions vary considerably. I don't get drafting all these cornerbacks. The team already has a number of young corners from the past couple of years. Should have drafted an linebacker somewhere and/or a WR.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We drafted too many corners given the number of young corners we have on the roster.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agree the team is coming out of the draft and free agency with too many holes.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've looked at draft grades from various sites. It varies quite a bit from site to site for all the NFL teams. Opinions vary considerably. I don't get drafting all these cornerbacks. The team already has a number of young corners from the past couple of years. Should have drafted an linebacker somewhere and/or a WR.

They did draft a WR in the 6th round problem solved.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Deep, I would say the team needed starters at RT, RG, LG, at least one WR position, TE, and QB at the start of the offseason. If they didn't need a starter I would say they certainly had questions about each of those positions on offense. On Defense they needed an ILB, CB, and a pass rushing OLB/DE for the 3-4. Once again if you believe they have players capable of starter on the roster at those positions I would say they at least have some question marks at those positions. So by the start of the draft they had signed a OG Zane Beadles who you claim should be a quality player, we'll go with your evaluation. Entering the Draft the team needed a RT, RG, WR, TE, QB, ILB, CB, and OLB/DE. How many players did Baalke draft that will likely start at any of those positions and be quality players? I can say 1 OG Garnett in the 1st round, now Buckner will likely start at one of the 3-4 DE positions and provide some pass rushing ability but most would have liked to get a OLB who's basic purpose is to get after the QB and I don't think that will be how he is used. So Baalke added two starters one at a position of need and added a bunch more CB's and O-Lineman that may or may not contribute or be anything more than depth. The same could also be said of every other position he drafted so I'm giving him a B- because he did get two legit starters and one of the top talents in the draft in Buckner and added depth but he should have gotten at least 3 starters out of this draft and I don't think he will.

But you were adamant Baalke would be an "F". There wasn't any question in your mind, he'd be an "F". What grade did you give him?

i said he'll get a good grade, not that it'll be great. I said due to the fact he drafts high, plus 12 picks. In another post justifying your B-, you repeated the exact same reasons?!

Regarding the rest of your post, you are describing how to draft for THIS season. Yes, if you were only concerned with this season, you'd be close. But IMO, this isn't fantasy football where you draft one for one season. For me, the idea is to add as much talent as possible, even if it doesn't hit all your needs. Overall, think it was a good draft.....on paper.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But you were adamant Baalke would be an "F". There wasn't any question in your mind, he'd be an "F". What grade did you give him?

i said he'll get a good grade, not that it'll be great. I said due to the fact he drafts high, plus 12 picks. In another post justifying your B-, you repeated the exact same reasons?!

Regarding the rest of your post, you are describing how to draft for THIS season. Yes, if you were only concerned with this season, you'd be close. But IMO, this isn't fantasy football where you draft one for one season. For me, the idea is to add as much talent as possible, even if it doesn't hit all your needs. Overall, think it was a good draft.....on paper.

I could pull it up but I'm pretty sure I posted that he would draft about a B- draft class and that to me that wasn't good enough.It's obviously not a fantasy draft but you should try to improve the team by filling holes in the roster and he didn't improve the team enough through the draft or free agency for that matter. I'm not even sure he added as much talent as they could have, so I would call this an average draft to a little above average. I also stated that I nearly gave him a C+ but on the strength of actually getting Buckner I bumped it up.