• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 coaching carousel

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
think the current AAC is like the old C-USA (when it had Louisville, Marquette, Cincinnnati, Memphis, Charlotte), where its a decent to good basketball league, but its upper tier schools would rather be somewhere else.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Mick Cronin is all but gone to UNLV. Odd situation. He's a Cincinnati guy. Grew up here. Went to school here. Tutored under Huggins. There's gotta be more to this story.

Cronin turned the job down.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Don't know anything about the inner workings but from a basketball standpoint, this makes zero sense. GT got much better as the season came along.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know anything about the inner workings but from a basketball standpoint, this makes zero sense. GT got much better as the season came along.

His BEST win ever was beating the Tar Holes in the 2010 NIT Championship!:lol: By fucking far!

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His BEST win ever was beating the Tar Holes in the 2010 NIT Championship!:lol: By fucking far!

Yeah, but they were finally trending upward as team. This year was the first time in like 10 years GT looked like it had direction

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Georgia Tech is an absolute Sleeping GIANT. Gregory was trending up when he was at Dayton and that's why they hired him. This was his best season in Atlanta. But not making the NCAA's or even finishing middle of the pack any of his years is almost too big of a mountain for most AD's. He never landed a big time recruit. That's the trouble with hiring a mid major coach. GaTech should pay for a good coach with all the money they have and resources. They should have hired Cremins back when they had the chance.

Hitman Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Robert Carter was a 5*, but he left after his Sophomore year. FWIW, it was time for Cremins and Tech to part ways. The program had stagnated. Tech had 1 NCAAT berth in his last seven years there.

The word on Gregory before he was hired at Tech, was that he constantly underachieved at Dayton. A lot of people saw Gregory's failure at Tech from a mile away. They will also be paying three basketball coaches next year, since they are still paying for Paul Hewitt. FFS, that is terrible.

There is a ton of talent in the state of Georgia, Tech really should be doing a lot better.

A few years ago, I looked at the basketball situations at Tech, Maryland, State, Virginia and Wake, and I thought all of these schools should be doing a lot better. They have the location and the tradition to succeed. Its good to see that Maryland (even though, they bailed for the B10) and Virginia got their shit together, but its time for NCSU, Wake and GT to do the same.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Robert Carter was a 5*, but he left after his Sophomore year. FWIW, it was time for Cremins and Tech to part ways. The program had stagnated. Tech had 1 NCAAT berth in his last seven years there.

The word on Gregory before he was hired at Tech, was that he constantly underachieved at Dayton. A lot of people saw Gregory's failure at Tech from a mile away. They will also be paying three basketball coaches next year, since they are still paying for Paul Hewitt. FFS, that is terrible.

There is a ton of talent in the state of Georgia, Tech really should be doing a lot better.

A few years ago, I looked at the basketball situations at Tech, Maryland, State, Virginia and Wake, and I thought all of these schools should be doing a lot better. They have the location and the tradition to succeed. Its good to see that Maryland (even though, they bailed for the B10) and Virginia got their shit together, but its time for NCSU, Wake and GT to do the same.

I liked Bobby Cremins. He got lazy plain and simple. But he also put the Jackets on the map recruiting and winning games. I still feel like the right guy hired there would be huge. Maybe Gaudio?

NC State is losing Cat Barber to the NBA and the Martin twins are transferring. Maybe Abu since he's testing the NBA waters so to speak. Gottfried has been able to recruit great talent. Smith coming in should help right away along with that kid that transferred from Charlotte who was their best player. So he's getting guys. He just cannot keep them there. The Martin twins leaving is a puzzlement kind of like Washington. And it wasn't like they weren't playing. They were all getting 20-30 minutes a game. He's been to the tournament every year until now. And maybe injuries hurt him this season too. But he should be doing better. Something I'm sure that Debbie Yow will hear about since he was her hire.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rehiri g cremins would've been a huge mistake....he was done and his NY pipeline wasn't there anymore

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rehiri g cremins would've been a huge mistake....he was done and his NY pipeline wasn't there anymore

Where's it been since he left? He was a winner, even at Charleston. Besides the court has his name on it.

Hitman Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked Bobby Cremins. He got lazy plain and simple. But he also put the Jackets on the map recruiting and winning games. I still feel like the right guy hired there would be huge. Maybe Gaudio?

NC State is losing Cat Barber to the NBA and the Martin twins are transferring. Maybe Abu since he's testing the NBA waters so to speak. Gottfried has been able to recruit great talent. Smith coming in should help right away along with that kid that transferred from Charlotte who was their best player. So he's getting guys. He just cannot keep them there. The Martin twins leaving is a puzzlement kind of like Washington. And it wasn't like they weren't playing. They were all getting 20-30 minutes a game. He's been to the tournament every year until now. And maybe injuries hurt him this season too. But he should be doing better. Something I'm sure that Debbie Yow will hear about since he was her hire.

I have no idea what to make of Dino as a coach, despite him being the head guy at Wake for three years. Dino's Wake teams were stacked with talent, so I was interested to see how he was going to do with his own kids, that didn't have any Prosser ties. It was a mistake to fire him.You have to let a guy fail, before you fire him. I've heard that Dino was fired because Wellman wanted 4 year guys that stayed and graduated, like Butler. Gaudio pretty much told him, that was the dumbest thing he's ever heard. Wake fans then had to sit through four years of Jeff Bzdelik basketball and the program still hasn't recovered.

Gott can't keep guys there. Leslie and Brown left early, despite being projected at the late 2nd or undrafted.
Lacey left early because he was 24 and playing professional was important to him. and guys like Painter, Lewis, Washington and the Martin Twins leave early, despite being rotational guys.

I legitimately forget State even has Terry Henderson, because of his injury during the first game of the season. That has to suck. That kid hasn't played a full game of organized basketball for two years now.

Still think Gott is under-achieving at State, despite his two "Cinderella" Sweet 16's. Best seed they've had in the NCAA Tournament was #8 or #9. I care a lot more about seeds, than I do about surprise runs in the NCAAT. I'd rather have a good-great regular season, with a disappointing NCAAT run than a so-so regular season, with a surprise NCAAT run. Ideally, it'd be a combination of both, obviously.

I do agree with tabasco that re-hiring Cremins would've a mistake. but in all honesty, don't think Cremins would have wanted the Tech job. He was probably looking for a low pressure gig, which is how he ended up at Charleston.

Speaking of former great ACC coaches, I would've much preferred re-hiring Dave Odom in 2010, instead of the piece of crap we actually ended up with. FWIW, Odom lives in Winston and from what I've seen, he is acting as a mentor to Manning.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no idea what to make of Dino as a coach, despite him being the head guy at Wake for three years. Dino's Wake teams were stacked with talent, so I was interested to see how he was going to do with his own kids, that didn't have any Prosser ties. It was a mistake to fire him.You have to let a guy fail, before you fire him. I've heard that Dino was fired because Wellman wanted 4 year guys that stayed and graduated, like Butler. Gaudio pretty much told him, that was the dumbest thing he's ever heard. Wake fans then had to sit through four years of Jeff Bzdelik basketball and the program still hasn't recovered.

Gott can't keep guys there. Leslie and Brown left early, despite being projected at the late 2nd or undrafted.
Lacey left early because he was 24 and playing professional was important to him. and guys like Painter, Lewis, Washington and the Martin Twins leave early, despite being rotational guys.

I legitimately forget State even has Terry Henderson, because of his injury during the first game of the season. That has to suck. That kid hasn't played a full game of organized basketball for two years now.

Still think Gott is under-achieving at State, despite his two "Cinderella" Sweet 16's. Best seed they've had in the NCAA Tournament was #8 or #9. I care a lot more about seeds, than I do about surprise runs in the NCAAT. I'd rather have a good-great regular season, with a disappointing NCAAT run than a so-so regular season, with a surprise NCAAT run. Ideally, it'd be a combination of both, obviously.

I do agree with tabasco that re-hiring Cremins would've a mistake. but in all honesty, don't think Cremins would have wanted the Tech job. He was probably looking for a low pressure gig, which is how he ended up at Charleston.

Speaking of former great ACC coaches, I would've much preferred re-hiring Dave Odom in 2010, instead of the piece of crap we actually ended up with. FWIW, Odom lives in Winston and from what I've seen, he is acting as a mentor to Manning.

The word on the street and from a reliable Deacon Club guy, told me that Gaudio had an affair with someone's wife on the staff at Wake and he had to go. I heard that from a second Deacon supporter also, but I cannot substantiate on whether it was credible or not. Needless to say that Wellman was looking for an opportunity to hire his buddy Bzdelik regardless. But make no mistake, Prosser benefitted greatly from Gaudio being on staff and landing recruits for him.

Hitman Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The word on the street and from a reliable Deacon Club guy, told me that Gaudio had an affair with someone's wife on the staff at Wake and he had to go. I heard that from a second Deacon supporter also, but I cannot substantiate on whether it was credible or not. Needless to say that Wellman was looking for an opportunity to hire his buddy Bzdelik regardless. But make no mistake, Prosser benefitted greatly from Gaudio being on staff and landing recruits for him.

I'm a member of the Deacon Club, and I can tell you right now, that isn't true. That affair rumor has always been out there, but it has been thrown out as being untrue from several credible posters (who are inside the Athletic Department) on the Wake boards.

Gaudio refusing to to lie down for Wellman, along with Wellman having buyer's remorse (in the sense, that Wellman realized that he couldn't "control" Dino), is what led to Gaudio being ousted. Its also important to remember that Dino was never really Wellman's guy. He was the guy that the Wake and Winston-Salem community wanted after a beloved figured had a tragic death. Emotions were running high and Wellman felt like he had no choice, but to promote Prosser's top assistant.

This video pretty much accurately describes the situation:

I'm not here to discredit anything Dino did, I liked Dino (like I said, he shouldn't have been fired), and Dino (along with Jeff Battle) being Prosser's top assistant(s) helped make the Prosser years so successful.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TBH I think Pitt was a little bit relieved to be rid of Jamie Dixon. Good coach overall but choked in some of the biggest moments, one being against Uconn in the Big East tourney a few years back against Kemba Walker.

Hitman Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, but they were finally trending upward as team. This year was the first time in like 10 years GT looked like it had direction

they were very Senior heavy (and loaded with transfers, who chose GT because it was close to home). Gregory had to make the NCAA Tournament to save his job and he failed to do that. There is very little direction in that program.