• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 MLB Draft

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A Giants off-day means we can focus on the draft!

Time: 3pm
Where to watch: MLB Network or MLB.com
Giants pick 18th in the first round, 31st in supplementary round.

It seems like the Giants are targeting a pitcher early in this draft, but it is impossible to predict every teams agenda. Here are some names to keep an eye on. (These aren't is any particular order)

Justin Hooper: 6-7, 230 lbs. LHP. Hooper is a lefty out of De La Salle, committed to UCLA. He's a power lefty, up to 97 on his FB and a real good curve in the 70s. His contract demands are scaring teams off, reportedly asking for $4M which would easily put the Giants into the penalty. Very high ceiling.

Mike Nikorak: 6-5, 224 lbs. RHP. Nikorak is a righty prep pitcher, committed to Alabama. Power pitcher. Seems to be the trendy pick right now among the Giants, but the Giants are usually hard to predict.

Nolan Watson: 6-2, 200 lbs. RHP. Watson is another prep pitcher that is gaining a lot of steam, specifically from the Giants camp. Probably would be a pick the Giants could wait on until the 31st pick.

Andrew Benintendi: 5-10 180 lbs. CF. Benintendi is a LHH with solid to great tools across the board. Most agree the only thing holding his back is his size, as it limits his ceiling. He should still be a top-10 pick in this draft though, and would have to fall from expectations to be there when the Giants pick.

Brady Aiken: 6-4 215 lbs. LHP. You may remember Aiken as last years number 1 pick. He didn't sign, because of injury. Then he goes on to pitch for IMG Academy and needs Tommy John after 1 IP. I highly doubt the Giants take the risk of signing him, but I guess if he's till there at 31, or all the guys ahead of him on their draft board are selected before 18, then you can't count them out.

Ian Happ: 5-10 175 lbs. 2B/OF. Happ is a college hitter, emphasis on the hitter. He probably won't be there when the Giants come up, but he has "Giants" written all over him given their recent draft history.

Nick Plummer: 5-11 200 lbs. OF. Left-handed High School prep bat with very good hit and power tools. Very much in play at 31.

Donny Everett: 6-2 220 lbs. RHP. More Matt Cain clones. High School prep pitcher. Committed to Vanderbilt, may required higher bonus. Been connected to the Giants.

That Giants are know to work on their own terms, and it's always been difficult for people to get reads on their draft ideas. This year though, they seem to be a little more transparent. Not sure why that is. Could be a smoke screen.

Band of Brothers

A Dreamer...trying to find my way home for dinner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A Giants off-day means we can focus on the draft!

Time: 3pm
Where to watch: MLB Network or MLB.com
Giants pick 18th in the first round, 31st in supplementary round.

It seems like the Giants are targeting a pitcher early in this draft, but it is impossible to predict every teams agenda. Here are some names to keep an eye on. (These aren't is any particular order)

Justin Hooper: 6-7, 230 lbs. LHP. Hooper is a lefty out of De La Salle, committed to UCLA. He's a power lefty, up to 97 on his FB and a real good curve in the 70s. His contract demands are scaring teams off, reportedly asking for $4M which would easily put the Giants into the penalty. Very high ceiling.

Mike Nikorak: 6-5, 224 lbs. RHP. Nikorak is a righty prep pitcher, committed to Alabama. Power pitcher. Seems to be the trendy pick right now among the Giants, but the Giants are usually hard to predict.

Nolan Watson: 6-2, 200 lbs. RHP. Watson is another prep pitcher that is gaining a lot of steam, specifically from the Giants camp. Probably would be a pick the Giants could wait on until the 31st pick.

Andrew Benintendi: 5-10 180 lbs. CF. Benintendi is a LHH with solid to great tools across the board. Most agree the only thing holding his back is his size, as it limits his ceiling. He should still be a top-10 pick in this draft though, and would have to fall from expectations to be there when the Giants pick.

Brady Aiken: 6-4 215 lbs. LHP. You may remember Aiken as last years number 1 pick. He didn't sign, because of injury. Then he goes on to pitch for IMG Academy and needs Tommy John after 1 IP. I highly doubt the Giants take the risk of signing him, but I guess if he's till there at 31, or all the guys ahead of him on their draft board are selected before 18, then you can't count them out.

Ian Happ: 5-10 175 lbs. 2B/OF. Happ is a college hitter, emphasis on the hitter. He probably won't be there when the Giants come up, but he has "Giants" written all over him given their recent draft history.

Nick Plummer: 5-11 200 lbs. OF. Left-handed High School prep bat with very good hit and power tools. Very much in play at 31.

Donny Everett: 6-2 220 lbs. RHP. More Matt Cain clones. High School prep pitcher. Committed to Vanderbilt, may required higher bonus. Been connected to the Giants.

That Giants are know to work on their own terms, and it's always been difficult for people to get reads on their draft ideas. This year though, they seem to be a little more transparent. Not sure why that is. Could be a smoke screen.

Wow Man, awesome breakdown of the draft. I have not had a chance to scout many guys this year but Hooper is a great player. I don't think he will be around when the Giants pick at 18. Thank you for the info.

RamsFan88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,416.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't mind seeing them take Aiken at #18. He's a high risk-high reward type pick. If his elbow holds up, he can be a front end starter.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't mind seeing them take Aiken at #18. He's a high risk-high reward type pick. If his elbow holds up, he can be a front end starter.
At #18, though, there are a lot of mid-risk, high reward guys available.

Like SF said, I would be totally OK with them taking him at 31, but NO WAY NO WAY NO WAY at 18.

(of course, if they do take him, I will trust their judgement and be happy with it)

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is my breakdown:

Tier I -- Swanson
Tier II -- Rodgers, Bregman, Tate, Jay
Tier III -- Tucker, Cameron, Fulmer
Tier IV -- Benentendi, Stephenson, Clark, Allard
Tier V -- Happ, Funkhouser, Harris, Buehler, Kaprelian, Nikorkak, Randolph
Tier VI -- Russell, Bickford, Whitley, Betts, Newman, Everett

Picking 18 puts us in Tier V. If one of the Tier IV guys were to fall, I'd be overjoyed but I don't expect it -- especially Allard.

So, given Tier V my preference would be, in order: Funkhouser, Harris, Buehler, Kap, Nikorak, Happ, Randolph.

We shall see.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I should mention, the Giants have a spending pool of $7,515,500 for the first 10 rounds, which is the 10th most out of any team. Penalties are incurred once teams spend more than their pool, and they are pretty stiff. Exceeding the pool by 5% causes the team to pay 75% luxury tax on the overage. 10% causes a loss of first round pick in 2016, plus 75% tax. 15% causes 100% luxury tax PLUS loss of first AND second round picks in 2016 draft. Anything more than 15% you lose two first round picks and pay 100% penalty.

So, this is what makes taking a guy like Hooper very risky. He's apparently set on going to UCLA, but was demanding around $4M before his commitment. This would kill more than half of the Giants pool in one pick. The recommended slot value for the Giants pick at 18 is $2,333,800.

Also, the draft starts at 4pm, not 3. My mistake.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Check out this article, and read it from the top down, don't just skip right to the Giants, and read every teams 2nd/3rd best option.

To me, this never gets old. It shows just how lucky the Giants are to hit on so many picks. And they don't even mention Joe Panik here. The only teams that come close are the Nationals and Royals. The Nats picked 1st in 2 consecutive drafts and had automatic, surefire picks 1st overall.

MLB Draft: Team-by-team best 1st round picks in the last decade - CBSSports.com

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One sentence in, and my trust for this article is already near-zero...

Monday night, we'll witness the first round of the 50-round MLB draft.

The draft is only 30 rounds now, and has been since the latest CBA has been in effect...

Band of Brothers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On MLB.com they have the Giants taking either Kolby Allard LHP San Clemente CA HS or Brady Aiken LHP IMG Acadamy FLA

I checked them both out ...big arms especially from the left sides. I would be happy with either one of these kids. Awesome talents.

Go Giants !!

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One sentence in, and my trust for this article is already near-zero...

The draft is only 30 rounds now, and has been since the latest CBA has been in effect...

Lol. Didn't even notice that. Luckily, that doesn't really matter to the rest of the article.

Band of Brothers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At pick #31 they have the Giants taking.

Nolan Watson RHP Lawerence North HS Indy

He is overthrowing a bit. Good ball movement. I would worry a bit on him throwing his arm out and having arm problems. Needs work with his mechanics and control.

I would pass.

Band of Brothers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This RF Happ kid is a born hitter. Sweetest LH swing in the draft. Awesome talent. Can play both CF and RF. Good arm and fast. Compared to Joc Pederson who is tearing it up right now for the Dodgers. This kid is a can''t miss star. Will be in the bigs sooner than later. He will be gone way before the Giants pick..too bad..love this kids talent.

Happ predicted to go to the Cubs at #9..if he slips the other teams are crazy. Would love to get him.

Last edited:

Band of Brothers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2015 Draft Pick #1

D-Backs pick Swanson SS Vandy

Band of Brothers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2015 MLB Draft Pick #2

Astros pick Bregman SS ,LSU

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rockies just drafted Tulo's eventual replacement. Brendan Rodgers, SS.

Band of Brothers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2015 MLB Draft Pick #3

Colorado picks Rodgers SS Lake Mary HS, FLA

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harold Reynolds is comparing Rodgers to Brandon Crawford. Not that I trust Harold all that much, but hey nice hat tip to Craw.

Band of Brothers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2015 MLB Draft Pick #4

Texas picks Tate RHP UC Santa Barbara