• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Pats Mock Draft First Four Rounds

rehone

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Data chosen from NFL Draft - 2014 NFL Draft Prospects - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

#29 Jace Amaro Texas Tech 6-5 260 4.67 106 catches 1352 yards

Strengths: Lining up mostly in the slot, Amaro is a big, fluid athlete who uses his thick body to gain proper positioning in coverage and uses his large, soft mitts to attack the ball in the air. He is a balanced route-runner and collects himself when changing direction with smooth moves to create separation. Amaro is dangerous after the catch and isn't an easy ballcarrier to bring down, running with power and toughness.

Weaknesses: Some maturity and attitude questions that will need to be addressed. Receiving tight end who won't be a fit for all schemes unless he can get in an NFL training program and bulk up.

#62 Ed Reynolds FS Stanford 6-2 206 4.54

Strengths: At 6-2, 205 pounds, Reynolds possesses the lanky build scouts are looking for at the position. Physical and instinctive. Demonstrates good agility and acceleration to handle covering athletic tight ends out of the slot as well as supply deep help over the top. Reads the action and moves fluidly, showing a nice late burst to close on the ball and terrific vision and open-field running ability once he possesses it. Understands his role as the last line of defense and generally takes excellent angles in pursuit.

Force in run defense. Savvy defender and reliable open-field tackler. Breaks down well in space and delivers a pop on contact, often driving ballcarriers back.

Weaknesses: Missed 2011 season due to knee injury (ACL). Aggressive nature can be used against him at times, getting burned on occasion by cut-back runs from quicker ballcarriers. Ejected from one game in 2013 for targeting, displaying bad habit of leading with his helmet, which will draw personal fouls in the NFL.

Only one highly-productive season in terms of creating turnovers while playing on a defense with dominating front seven, and must prove he can make impact plays on consistent basis.

#93 Stanley Jean-Baptiste CB Nebraska 6-3 215 4.56

STRENGTHS: Boasts excellent height and length for the position. Gets a strong initial jam to re-route receivers when playing press-man coverage. Often asked to play off-man principles, as well, showing the patience to allow receivers to get near him before beginning his turning motion. By doing so, Jean-Baptiste is able to sneak a peek toward the quarterback and break quickly on short and intermediate routes.

Uses his long arms and strong hands to bat away passes as they arrive, demonstrating good hand-eye coordination and leaping ability. Uses his long arms very effectively to rip free from blockers. Surprisingly fluid hips for a cornerback of his size. Capable of changing directions well to maintain close proximity to the receiver. Good ball skills, including the ability to extend and pluck outside of his frame.

WEAKNESSES: Not nearly as physical as his size would indicate, especially when tackling. Frequently relies on ducking his head and swiping at the legs of ballcarriers. Could be viewed by some as a potential safety convert but hasn't played this position before and will need to develop more physicality and reliability as an open-field tackler.

While fluid in changing directions, is susceptible to double-moves because he doesn't possess ideal initial burst and possesses just fair straight-line speed, overall.

COMPARES TO: Brandon Browner, Seattle Seahawks - Like Browner, Jean-Baptiste combines size, ball skills and surprising fluidity to intrigue as a super-sized cornerback. Browner only re-emerged as an NFL player in recent years, however, after languishing in the CFL in part due to a lack of straight-line speed inconsistent effectiveness as an open-field tackler. Should the light turn on for Jean-Baptiste, he could stick in the NFL. Without greater reliability as a tackler, however, his time in the league could be short.

#125 ANthony Steen OG-C Alabama 6-2 310

STRENGTHS: Steen quickly established himself as one of Alabama's top backups after redshirting in 2009 and he started two games at right guard in 2010 when Barrett Jones went down with an injury. Steen started the first seven games (and nine games overall) a year later before suffering an injury of his own (concussion). Steen made significant strides last year. His quickness allows him to seal off defenders and he has the strength to catch and control.

WEAKNESSES: Steen is a bit shorter than ideal and may be viewed as a candidate to be moved to center by some scouts.

COMPARES TO: Steen was far and away the least hyped of Alabama's celebrated offensive line a season ago but his combination of quickness, power and competitiveness will earn him high marks from scouts

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man another CB this year? Seems like we are always drafting CBs

eric5577x

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could happen. I have a very hard time seeing BB not taking a DT or DE in the first 4 rds. Not sure we even look at CB unless Talib does not come back. We need a SS, not a FS, we have DMC for that.....although I had a dream last night that DMC got traded for picks....just saying...

TKO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amaro: I'd rather see an inside pass rusher with their first pick..if there's one worthy of it but he may be the choice there.

Reynolds: A+ on that one. I'm down for anything that puts Gregory on the bench but he looks good.

Baptiste: Sign Talib.

Steen: He had surgery for a torn labrum but it shouldn't be a long term problem. They can slide Connolly back to OC and move Cannon into the guard spot so I don't think I'd take an O-lineman that high.

rehone

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amaro: I'd rather see an inside pass rusher with their first pick..if there's one worthy of it but he may be the choice there.

Reynolds: A+ on that one. I'm down for anything that puts Gregory on the bench but he looks good.

Baptiste: Sign Talib.

Steen: He had surgery for a torn labrum but it shouldn't be a long term problem. They can slide Connolly back to OC and move Cannon into the guard spot so I don't think I'd take an O-lineman that high.

I just do not see a stud pass rusher available at 29 and we need help on offense. Amaro is hands down the best pass catching TE to come into draft in a while and he is a monster target and he isn't a great in line blocker but he is okay. His key is he can actually play and receiving position which is like Hernandez only he is bigger and not a dink like Hernandez.

I went with the bigger safety and corner because the receivers are getting bigger and we need protection if Talib bolts. I could see us going elsewhere if we keep Talib. I really like any DB's coming out of Stanford. They are obviously smart and well coached defensively.

Steen could end up being a steal and he can play center and you know he can play in the NFL since he is an Alabama player.

I really have not had the time to get into draft but things are getting better so I can find time shortly. This is a key draft since we are already second youngest team in NFL. We do not have a 5th rounder but this draft has a ton of talent from the middle of the 1st round through the end of the fourth round that is deep.

I do think we will get added pass rush from Collins next year. What we need to do is get like Seattle and be able to get pressure with 4 but never more than 5 rushers so we can mix up coverage with zone, press man etc..

eric5577x

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just do not see a stud pass rusher available at 29 and we need help on offense. Amaro is hands down the best pass catching TE to come into draft in a while and he is a monster target and he isn't a great in line blocker but he is okay. His key is he can actually play and receiving position which is like Hernandez only he is bigger and not a dink like Hernandez.

I went with the bigger safety and corner because the receivers are getting bigger and we need protection if Talib bolts. I could see us going elsewhere if we keep Talib. I really like any DB's coming out of Stanford. They are obviously smart and well coached defensively.

Steen could end up being a steal and he can play center and you know he can play in the NFL since he is an Alabama player.

I really have not had the time to get into draft but things are getting better so I can find time shortly. This is a key draft since we are already second youngest team in NFL. We do not have a 5th rounder but this draft has a ton of talent from the middle of the 1st round through the end of the fourth round that is deep.

I do think we will get added pass rush from Collins next year. What we need to do is get like Seattle and be able to get pressure with 4 but never more than 5 rushers so we can mix up coverage with zone, press man etc..

Hey rehone, when you get a chance check out C.J Fiedorowicz from Iowa. I was watching some game film on him last night and I really like what he has to offer. He is a big TE 6'6' 285, catches very well and can move after the catch. He reminds me of Gronk a little. They lined him up in the slot at times, and he can block very well. I know we need a TE, but do we have to replace Ahern with a Ahern type player? When ya get a chance, take a look at him, I was impressed and think he can be had in the 3rd. Like you said, it depends on what happens in FA first.

rehone

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey rehone, when you get a chance check out C.J Fiedorowicz from Iowa. I was watching some game film on him last night and I really like what he has to offer. He is a big TE 6'6' 285, catches very well and can move after the catch. He reminds me of Gronk a little. They lined him up in the slot at times, and he can block very well. I know we need a TE, but do we have to replace Ahern with a Ahern type player? When ya get a chance, take a look at him, I was impressed and think he can be had in the 3rd. Like you said, it depends on what happens in FA first.

If they can get a primo pass rusher at one or garner more picks in 2 and 3 I like this kid and he plays for Ferentz who is a long time very close friend of BBs.

I see the youth of this team as its plus since it will get better and particularly on defense but I am woth TKO and believe you need big physical corners like Talib and Sherman in the NFL and a big safety who can man up with tight ends.

If Pats do a good job in this draft they could be set for a while. I also would not be surprised if Pats grabbed A J McCarron in this draft if they can.

briz almighty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade Mallett to Houston for the #33 pick and they draft clowney...

Sign: C Alex Mack, CB Talib, WR Edelman, SS Meriweather

Round 1 #29 - Kelvin Benjamin WR Florida State
Round 2 #33 (f/HOU) - Scott Crichton DE Oregon State
Round 2 #62 - CJ Fiedorowicz TE Iowa
Round 3 #93 - Caraun Reid DT Princeton
Round 4 #124 - Gator Hoskins TE Marshall

Rd1 - #1 WR
Rd2 - passrushing DE opposite jones
Rd2 - Gronk insurance
Rd3 - interior passrushing DT
Rd4 - poor-mans aaron hernandez

superbowl!

Drawmeomg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How does the #33 pick get them Clowney? Trading that high with Clowney on the board will cost something like 2 firsts and several other picks.

briz almighty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How does the #33 pick get them Clowney? Trading that high with Clowney on the board will cost something like 2 firsts and several other picks.
houston takes clowney with their #1 pick and they get their franchise qb in mallett with the trade for 33. they sound like they dont want to pick a qb at #1.

Drawmeomg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh. Houston drafts Clowney. Yes, that makes more sense; I still doubt they'll deal #33 for Mallett, but it's at least a reasonable thing to speculate about.