• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 NLCS Pre-Discussion

jeep99tj

If you don’t agree with me, don’t talk to me.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 224.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, tough call with Ishi/Perez hitting so poorly, but at least we have relatively known quantities fielding-wise. Morse is bound to be rusty. We could start Morse, then pull him ASAP for defensive purposes - but that's nothing new.

I wonder if Bochy was less than pleased with Ishi's positioning on that play at third with Bum and Pablo. The ball got by Ishi and that led to another run (Harper scoring from first). If that was Morse, we'd all be screaming about him.

But if this is our biggest problem, we're pretty well off.

Activity in the bullpen made it hard for Ishi to pick up the ball. He ran right by it before he realized where it was. Not totally his fault.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Activity in the bullpen made it hard for Ishi to pick up the ball. He ran right by it before he realized where it was. Not totally his fault.

Ehhh, sounds good on the surface, but this is the pros, not some street hockey game. It's not like it took some crazy bounce. Not saying it was Ishi's fault, but his inexperience in LF may have led him to be in the wrong backup position. There is a place he should have been in for that situation, and my guess is that he should not have let the ball get by him on either side, much less in foul ground where it did. IMHO.

Band of Brothers

A Dreamer...trying to find my way home for dinner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants vs. St. Louis ...Should be a good series. Giants underdogs again....what's new. They all look confident and ready to go. Game 4 was a good time the other night . Smiles everywhere at Memory Park. I got a feeling the Giants bats might come alive in this NLCS. It seems like it has been two weeks waiting for this matchup.

Go Giants !!

:suds::clap:

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, a hypothetical question for the august compendium here:

Suppose, upon his return here, Morse fields his position cleanly enough, gets his hitting stroke back quickly (say, a .280 AVG with an .800 OPS with a few key hits), and in the next two series becomes an integral part of the third Giants World Championship in the last five years, much to the delight of his teammates and the fans.

Given our OF questions going into next year, do you offer him 1/6 or even 2/10 for 2015?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, a hypothetical question for the august compendium here:

Suppose, upon his return here, Morse fields his position cleanly enough, gets his hitting stroke back quickly (say, a .280 AVG with an .800 OPS with a few key hits), and in the next two series becomes an integral part of the third Giants World Championship in the last five years, much to the delight of his teammates and the fans.

Given our OF questions going into next year, do you offer him 1/6 or even 2/10 for 2015?

I think he remains an escape-valve option. The PsTB may use the calculus to lower their bidding prices to other players/teams, but he will not be an auto-sign, regardless.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he remains an escape-valve option. The PsTB may use the calculus to lower their bidding prices to other players/teams, but he will not be an auto-sign, regardless.

Good point about a potential offer to Morse being used to keep the price of other alternatives down.

We have to keep in mind that as of now, we only have one, healthy, full-time, championship-quality OF in Pence (opinions on his long-term durability aside :whistle:). The rest are question marks or outright gruesome weaknesses, as far as WC-quality goes. We can't expect (and I know you don't, cal) us to go into 2015 with Pence and the Seven Dwarfs for an outfield and hope to compete for the whole season.

And keep in mind there aren't many FA alternatives out there either after Tomas, who will be offered $100 mill by every GM with a pulse.

At any rate, it goes without saying that Morse can do himself a world of good heading into 2015 if he has a decent next 3 weeks.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AJ Pierzynski added to Cards' 25 man roster for the NLCS:

2014 NLCS -- St. Louis Cardinals add A.J. Pierzynski, lose Sam Freeman - ESPN

Pierzynski-gets-punched.gif