• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 Atlanta Braves thread

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gattis only has one hit today

Grand slam!!! 8-1 braves

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
at 15-5 braves have the best home record in baseball

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This year's All-Star Game ballot is, in part, a tribute to the men and women who run the Atlanta Braves. That's because the Braves' Minor League system produced 14 of the players on this year's ballot, more than any other Major League franchise.
That's one more than the Twins (13), two more than the Cardinals (12) and three more than the Rockies, Red Sox, Brewers and Angels (11 apiece). Ten of the 14 Atlanta players are with other organizations, but that's part of the deal, too.
(Pitchers aren't on the All-Star ballot, so this evaluation measures only position players. Because of that, it can't tell the whole story of which organization is doing the best job, but it offers insight into the ones that have done a bunch of good work.)
One of the easiest ways to evaluate a franchise is to see how it's doing in terms of finding good players and getting them to the Major Leagues. In the end, everything else a franchise does is a distant second.
"We are proud of the job our scouts and player-development staffs have done, which allows us to promote our own players," Braves general manager Frank Wren wrote in an email.
Player development has been a hallmark of the Braves since Bobby Cox took over the baseball operation in 1986. He turned it over to John Schuerholz in 1990 to devote himself to managing the club, and together, they led the Braves to a record 14 consecutive postseason appearances.
Schuerholz, who retired as general manager and became team president in 2007, turned the job over to Wren, his longtime assistant. Cox retired after the 2010 season, and Wren hired a Cox man, Fredi Gonzalez, to take over in the dugout.
Not much has changed. Atlanta's baseball operation is first-rate from top to bottom. Even as Chipper Jones joined Tom Glavine, John Smoltz and Greg Maddux in retirement, the Braves continued to win and are poised to make the playoffs for a second successive season.
No team can win without a productive Minor League system. That is, no club -- not the Yankees nor the Red Sox, and certainly not the Rays, Royals or Pirates -- can win without producing a steady flow of young, affordable talent.
Those players can keep talent coming to the Major League team, or they can be used in trades to fill holes. Either way, they contribute to winning. For the Braves, those 14 players are an indication of good work at every level of the organization.
First, there are the scouts who find the players and recommend that their bosses draft them. And then there are the managers, coaches, trainers, etc., who teach the players how to play, train, eat and conduct themselves.
By the time a player puts on a Major League uniform, a dozen or more people may have had a hand in getting him there. People at every level of the organization can look at certain players and know they played a role.
That's why the smart teams honor their scouts and Minor League personnel every year with dinners, gifts and public recognition to let fans know of the good work being done largely out of public view.
This year, the 14 current and former members of the Braves organization on the All-Star ballot offer insight into how the franchise has operated. All four current Braves on the ballot -- catcher Brian McCann, first baseman Freddie Freeman, shortstop Andrelton Simmons and outfielder Jason Heyward -- were high choices in the First-Year Player Draft. Heyward and Freeman were first- and second-round picks in 2007. McCann was a second-round pick in '02, Simmons a second-round pick in '10.
Where did the others go? Shortstop Elvis Andrus and catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia were in the package of players traded to the Rangers in 2007 for first baseman Mark Teixeira.
Schuerholz also put pitchers Matt Harrison and Neftali Feliz in that deal. He knew he had paid a high price, but he believed Teixeira might push the Braves over the top. That deal didn't get Atlanta to the playoffs, but it was the kind that a general manager makes when he's going for it.
Similarly, catcher Tyler Flowers (for Javier Vazquez), outfielder/third baseman Martin Prado (Justin Upton) and outfielder Gregor Blanco (Kyle Farnsworth) were dealt in trades that brought the Braves, among others, veterans.
As for the others on the list, some, like outfielder Garrett Jones, didn't prove themselves until after the Braves had let them go.
Finally, injured Cardinals shortstop Rafael Furcal is also on the All-Star ballot. He had a great run with the Braves, signing in 1996 and playing six seasons in the Major Leagues. He made an All-Star team and was part of five playoff teams. Furcal signed with the Dodgers after the 2005 season.
There are many reasons the Braves have had so much success the past 20 seasons. Cox and Schuerholz will someday be inducted into the Hall of Fame. Likewise, so will Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz and Chipper.
And with Simmons and Kris Medlen and Freeman and others, the Braves seem likely to keep going. One glance at the past offers an explanation why the present is so much fun

gobigred

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 RBI single by Gattis to give Braves 5-3 lead in 8th

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love how the Braves have to stay out there and pitch in this shit weather but the fucking mutts don't. Lucky fegs.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
fucking bj!! what a shit error. do your job!!

He is as bad a player as I've seen in a long time. Schafer really needs to be in center for the foreseeable future. Let BGay work his shit out in triple A.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
suspend a 5-5 game ...weird

when i went to bed they said they would pick it up before todays game. dont know if that is still true today. anyway braves got hosed having to pitch in the rain. errors, wild pitches, and lazy umps. of course tarp came out right after 3rd out.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
when i went to bed they said they would pick it up before todays game. dont know if that is still true today. anyway braves got hosed having to pitch in the rain. errors, wild pitches, and lazy umps. of course tarp came out right after 3rd out.

Just read on Braves.com that they will resume last nights game at 6:10 tonight and tonight's game will start 15 mins after the other finishes.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i spotted my friend 5 runs for the mets for the whole series in a friendly wager. Figured i was good with harvey out this series. weather is definitely messing with me.

gobigred

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pena leads off with double and is sacrificed to 3rd. Heyward walked to give Braves runners on 1st and 3rd with 1 out.

Then J. Upton hits into double play to end inning :L

gobigred

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Braves score 2 in top of 10th!

Braves scored on Uggla RBI single and a BJ Upton sacrifice fielders choice RBI

gobigred

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kimbrel lets first 2 hitters on base on but gets a pop out and a GIDP as the Braves win 7-5!

gobigred

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
500!! :ipw: