• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2011's surprise team?

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just for shits n' gigs, which team do you guys think is going to be the one that makes the playoffs or is contending until late September at least, that no one thought about at all pre-season? Last year it was Cincinatti.

This year? Maybe Florida? Cleveland? Tampa? (everyone picked them to regress badly with all they lost, but they are right in there...and with Longoria out hurt)

I guess I'll say Florida.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really like Florida, they built their team the right way, through pitching. They have one of the best bullpens in the bigs, at the expense of some offense (Uggla/Maybin), but they still got Hanley, Stanton, Sanchez, Buck and Infante isn't bad either. They could use another starter though.

With that said, I'm still going with my pre-season pick, the Brewers. When Greinke gets back, they have one of the best starting staff in the NL and a pretty decent bullpen with Axford, Braddock, Mitre and Loe they have a pretty good core there. And obviously their offense is deep and powerful and they'll be running more now with a new manager.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the Brewers too but can we call them a 'surprise' team? With their moves they were on a lot of folks' lists as contenders when the season started....

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Indians. 16-8, with a run differential of +41. A buddy of mine is from Cleveland, and I was giving him plenty of shit before the season started. For now, I'm gonna keep my mouth shut until their starting pitching implodes.

It'll happen eventually.

BTW: I agree with the Marlins choice. And keep in mind: they are doing all this with Hanley in a terrible slump. And until recently, Stanton hadn't done chit either.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Indians. 16-8, with a run differential of +41. A buddy of mine is from Cleveland, and I was giving him plenty of shit before the season started. For now, I'm gonna keep my mouth shut until their starting pitching implodes.

It'll happen eventually.

BTW: I agree with the Marlins choice. And keep in mind: they are doing all this with Hanley in a terrible slump. And until recently, Stanton hadn't done chit either.

For sure Cleveland is by far the surprise team of April...I too think they will fade, but you never know. That's why it's a surprise. Carmona is almost an ace, and they got 2 youngsters behind him who are 9-0 with ERAs near 2.

That said, they haven't played any really good teams yet.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the Brewers too but can we call them a 'surprise' team? With their moves they were on a lot of folks' lists as contenders when the season started....

True that.

Well, then I go with Florida for the reasons I stated as my true "surprise team".

And to add on with Hanley and Stanton struggeling, Morrison is out as well and they aren't getting any production from 3B as well. Once they right all those ships, they could be pretty damn good.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It'll happen eventually.

If their pitchers can hold it together, they will certainly be around for a while. Their offense is legit, Sizemore has come back to original form, which is All-Star level and Travis Hafner is looking like his 2005-2007 self again.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
somebody called ATl last year (cal?)

I think FLA has the same ingredients - they shored up the bullpen which was weakness for them last year. I think the Giants had more than a few come from behind wins against them.

Josh Johnson is ridiculously good

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think FLA has the same ingredients - they shored up the bullpen which was weakness for them last year. I think the Giants had more than a few come from behind wins against them.

+1...the Fish are for real. Johnson/Nolasco/Sanchez is a very good 1-3.

So are the Braves. Hanson/Lowe/Hudson/Beachy/Jurrjens is probably the deepest starting staff in the NL.

The Cards and Brewers are pretenders; Reds will run away and hide in the soft NLC.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I dont make many predictions, and when I do, they are usually wrong. Thus, when I do, I try to forget them.

I do not remember making any particular prediction about Atlanta, but I will take credit for it :)

I have thought that Atlanta was a good team for some time. I think they are built solidly are are ready to compete for the long haul.