• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: #2 Ohio State at. Indiana, 8 PM EST, ESPN (Thursday, August 31st)

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe compared to anyone else in the B1G, but don't be mistaken. Oklahoma and tech don't run the same offense. For one thing the blocking schemes are different, especially on run plays. Should help y'all prepare for this quick passes that will be a part of our plan I'm sure.

I didn't say they did run the same offenses. I said similar. OU will spread it out in order to get favorable 1v1 matchups. That's what Indiana did all night long. OU will obviously try to run it more, but I'm less concerned about that part of the game because i have a ton of confidence in ohio st's front 7.

The buckeye secondary was the biggest question mark going in to this season because everyone is new. To face a strong passing game with big veteran WRs and an accurate QB right out of the gate is tough. It was a good test and i feel more comfortable heading in to the OU game now because of it.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe compared to anyone else in the B1G, but don't be mistaken. Oklahoma and tech don't run the same offense. For one thing the blocking schemes are different, especially on run plays. Should help y'all prepare for this quick passes that will be a part of our plan I'm sure.

and this is a huge difference.. OU will have a running game while IU had no running game at all.

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The biggest problem with the DBs last night, mostly in the 1st half, is that they were pretty much face guarding and chasing the WRs instead of even trying to find the ball. That's not an effective strategy.

On the plays where they actually found the ball instead of just playing the receiver, they were successful. This was most of the 2nd half. Hopefully they come out against OU with that attitude instead of the 1st half shenanigans.

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and this is a huge difference.. OU will have a running game while IU had no running game at all.

OU is going to try to have a running game a lot more than Indiana did. Will they be successful though is the question yet to be seen.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OU is going to try to have a running game a lot more than Indiana did. Will they be successful though is the question yet to be seen.

That battle between our line and your front 7 will be fun to watch.

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That battle between our line and your front 7 will be fun to watch.

Mixon and Perine had success last year. 26 runs for 138 yards (5.3 YPC)

OUs oline has to be up to the task but Adams and Anderson are also gonna have to prove their worth replacing those 2.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mixon and Perine had success last year. 26 runs for 138 yards (5.3 YPC)

OUs oline has to be up to the task but Adams and Anderson are also gonna have to prove their worth replacing those 2.

Sure would love to be @ The Shoe for the upcoming game.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. Andrews and Mead are both big outside receivers with experience. They also have a couple of really good looking freshmen with size that should see some time as well.

Andrews is 255 lbs. I'm guessing he is a H-Back or TE, not a WR. So he could split out wide, but he will have a safety or LB covering him.

The outside guys at IU are 6'4+ and run 4.5's. So putting a LB on them isn't happening.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Andrews is 255 lbs. I'm guessing he is a H-Back or TE, not a WR. So he could split out wide, but he will have a safety or LB covering him.

The outside guys at IU are 6'4+ and run 4.5's. So putting a LB on them isn't happening.

Andrews will play out wide or in the slot. With his speed and route running he's a mismatch for safeties or linebackers. Doesn't matter.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Andrews will play out wide or in the slot. With his speed and route running he's a mismatch for safeties or linebackers. Doesn't matter.

I have no doubt a big TE can be a huge mismatch against anyone. I was just saying, the reason IU's game plan worked in the first half against OSU was the fact both of their outside WR's are big and tall.

Andrews is a very good player, but he isn't as fast as the IU WR's and will most likely (my educated guess) be covered by a safety or LB much of the game against OSU, which will help negate the size disparity IU took advantage of. I still think he will be a mismatch OU can
take advantage of.

Also for OU, I wouldn't put too much into the rush defense of OSU yesterday. OU will still be able to run. IU literally has no RB and an OL who is dealing with a new OC (Wilson went to OSU) and new OL coach (Greg Frye left to coach OL at UM). OSU has a very good front 7, but IU is going to be atrocious running the ball this year.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't really have any questions about our line... they're as good as advertised. The secondary had better find itself before Saturday or they're gonna get picked apart again. We just cannot leave receivers wide open again.. especially with OU's speed.

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no doubt a big TE can be a huge mismatch against anyone. I was just saying, the reason IU's game plan worked in the first half against OSU was the fact both of their outside WR's are big and tall.

Andrews is a very good player, but he isn't as fast as the IU WR's and will most likely (my educated guess) be covered by a safety or LB much of the game against OSU, which will help negate the size disparity IU took advantage of. I still think he will be a mismatch OU can
take advantage of.

Also for OU, I wouldn't put too much into the rush defense of OSU yesterday. OU will still be able to run. IU literally has no RB and an OL who is dealing with a new OC (Wilson went to OSU) and new OL coach (Greg Frye left to coach OL at UM). OSU has a very good front 7, but IU is going to be atrocious running the ball this year.

Indiana's pace was a big part of that too. That was some NASCAR type shit on the football field, go go go. Which caused some out of whack plays in its own

OU might play with pace but I doubt they are going to go that quick.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Indiana's pace was a big part of that too. That was some NASCAR type shit on the football field, go go go. Which caused some out of whack plays in its own

IU definitely brought it! I read some pretty nasty tweets last night and this morning, but I'm glad to game unfolded like it did. I'd rather have a game like that where we get exposed a little bit then set a new scoring record on Bowling Green again and learn nothing from it.

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I imagine Indiana will keep it close until about Half-time, and then OSU will dominate and win by 30+

About spot on with my prediction :suds:

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree. It is tough to deal with that pace. But most throws were throw it high into the man coverage and let the WR's make a play. On the one TD for Cobb -- they ran the same play 3 times in a row until the QB got it right.

OSU made the necessary adjustments and moved the safeties over the top, which negated much of that. I am quite sure though, if OSU tries to go man on OU, they will be doing much of the same.

OSU's CBs, especially #12, were in position to make many plays but IU's WR would make a play over them. Not sure how tall #12 is, but he had to giving up 4" or so?

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IU definitely brought it! I read some pretty nasty tweets last night and this morning, but I'm glad to game unfolded like it did. I'd rather have a game like that where we get exposed a little bit then set a new scoring record on Bowling Green again and learn nothing from it.

Very, very true. Much better to get exposed in certain areas against a team where you are vastly more talented than have it happen against another talented team.

It gives OSU something to work on in preparation for OU.

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. It is tough to deal with that pace. But most throws were throw it high into the man coverage and let the WR's make a play. On the one TD for Cobb -- they ran the same play 3 times in a row until the QB got it right.

OSU made the necessary adjustments and moved the safeties over the top, which negated much of that. I am quite sure though, if OSU tries to go man on OU, they will be doing much of the same.

OSU's CBs, especially #12, were in position to make many plays but IU's WR would make a play over them. Not sure how tall #12 is, but he had to giving up 4" or so?

12 is Denzel Ward, he's supposed to be the next DB that lands in the 1st round of the draft. He's 5'10 maybe 5'11

I think a lot of the first half was them seeing if they could get away with running man press with these corners. I wish they would have went away from it sooner, things went a lot better when they eventually decided to change schemes