• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

#1 Pens vs. #7 Sens---2nd round series thread

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After reviewing some of the regular season games leading up to the playoffs, I'm just baffled that Jokinen has been scratched so much in round one. He brings so much smart play, which will definitely be needed going forward.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After reviewing some of the regular season games leading up to the playoffs, I'm just baffled that Jokinen has been scratched so much in round one. He brings so much smart play, which will definitely be needed going forward.

Yep Cooke has been worthless I see no need to play him over Jokinen right now. Cooke is a worse skater, less of a goal scorer and can't take faceoffs. I guess the big thing is time killing penalties?

Anyway the last few games I am really eating crow. I have been a HUGE Kennedy basher but honestly not for him I am not sure the Pens would have moved on. He was a huge spark plug to get the team going.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep Cooke has been worthless I see no need to play him over Jokinen right now. Cooke is a worse skater, less of a goal scorer and can't take faceoffs. I guess the big thing is time killing penalties?

Anyway the last few games I am really eating crow. I have been a HUGE Kennedy basher but honestly not for him I am not sure the Pens would have moved on. He was a huge spark plug to get the team going.

Jok kills penalties too though...not as well as Cookie. I dunno, Cooke needs to be a thorn to be effective.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jok kills penalties too though...not as well as Cookie. I dunno, Cooke needs to be a thorn to be effective.

Good point.

And another interesting stat Jokinen has been their second best at faceoffs since he arrived behind Joe Vitale.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Senators have better D, PK and goaltending than the Islanders, so that's a big advantage for them. But can the Senators force turnovers the way the Islanders did? That's the key against the Pens IMO. If you can get guys like Niskanen panicking, or Letang/Malkin forcing bad passes, you get get into their heads and beat them.

If the Pens have learned from last round, and Byslma can gameplan properly, I think the Pens have a significant edge. Otherwise, slight edge to the Senators.

The Senators do have some fast forwards. Not everyone on their team skates like Neil. Anderson is the key for the Sens in this series. He has the ability to steal games. He might have to do just that a couple of times.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got tickets to Games 4 and 6! (Unless the schedule is really strange, I'll be out of town for Game 3...)

JustAsking

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Assuming the lines will remain the same, but I would have no problem, if he struggles again, to put #10 on the 4th line

Not sure the hate on #24 right now. He leads the team in hits, 3rd amongst forwards in PK time... leads all forwards with a +3 (18 total ES goals).

If folks are looking to get #36 into the line-up, perhaps #10 should come out, WHAT?! Well, he is the slowest forward and leads the team with a -3 (but #2 in hits, something #36 can't replace)... I say you keep the old man. Against the Sens, I would rather find room for #15 than for #36 honestly.

#3 looks confused on the ice at times, not just speed issue, but not knowing assingments, a lot of finger pointing (you got him, no you got him.. I saw last series)... you need to know these things before you step on the ice, not discuss them during the play. In general a lot of communication issues on the backend, even between #44 and #7.

#29 will get a start in this series, the Pens won't wait for #92 to struggle.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My push for #36 is how well he and #10 have worked well together. These would be my pairings:

Dupuis-Crosby-Iginla
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Sutter-Jokinen
Cooke-Vitale/Glass-Kennedy

Maybe even spell Bennett in for Cooke a few times.

sbb122

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My push for #36 is how well he and #10 have worked well together. These would be my pairings:

Dupuis-Crosby-Iginla
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Sutter-Jokinen

Need Adams in there somewhere Dare...

DChero

Out of Work Superhero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dupuis-Crosby-Iginla
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Sutter-Jokinen

If Cooke gets scratched at all, I'd plan for it in games 3, 4 or both. The less crowd reaction the better. I'd play him tonight just to get the whole "story" out of the way at home.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd dress Cooke just for the fact that the Sens couldn't leave him alone last game, and it took them off their game.

sabre0917

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I really cant see the sens losing this series with good goaltending.

Sens in 5 or 6

I really cant see La Flower or Vokoun keeping 3 goals out of the net 4 of the 7 games.

But hey we play to win the game.

GO SENS!!!

DChero

Out of Work Superhero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd dress Cooke just for the fact that the Sens couldn't leave him alone last game, and it took them off their game.

I didn't really get that. There was some jawing, but I think that the whole issue has pretty much been put to bed by the players. The fans will be a totally different story. In Ottawa, they'll go crazy anytime Cooke is hit, touches the puck, or makes a hit. That could benefit either team, but I'd rather leave it out for the Penguins and force the game to be decided by skill rather than emotion.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't really get that. There was some jawing, but I think that the whole issue has pretty much been put to bed by the players. The fans will be a totally different story. In Ottawa, they'll go crazy anytime Cooke is hit, touches the puck, or makes a hit. That could benefit either team, but I'd rather leave it out for the Penguins and force the game to be decided by skill rather than emotion.

I thought so, they were fighting for a spot, and were completely outplayed, and it was a fairly penalty filled game.

It could benefit either team, but I'd rather have Ottawa prove it benefits them, plus I thought Cooke played well in the final few games of the series.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm also interested in what Ottawa's offense can do, they scored the fewest goals of any playoff team this year, and then scored 4 goals a game against Montreal.

The Islanders yea, they had the individual talent to score that many goals. I don't buy the Senators have that talent.

Not saying it will be easy for the Pens or anything, cause the Sens have goaltending, size, and speed, just don't see them being able to keep up on the scoreboard.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would bet that MaClean is showing the video of that game a lot and harping on it. "Here's how you fucked up last time we played them. Don't do that again. He's going to try and get in your head. You want to hurt that little fucker, send him home."

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vokoun starting game 1

sabre0917

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I'm also interested in what Ottawa's offense can do, they scored the fewest goals of any playoff team this year, and then scored 4 goals a game against Montreal.

The Islanders yea, they had the individual talent to score that many goals. I don't buy the Senators have that talent.

Not saying it will be easy for the Pens or anything, cause the Sens have goaltending, size, and speed, just don't see them being able to keep up on the scoreboard.

True but they also were injured most the year and added a good young player. When you have a top 10 center and top 5 D-man out its kinda hard to score. But with those 2 guys healthy I'm sure they would have found an extra 15-20 or so goals.

DChero

Out of Work Superhero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True but they also were injured most the year and added a good young player. When you have a top 10 center and top 5 D-man out its kinda hard to score. But with those 2 guys healthy I'm sure they would have found an extra 15-20 or so goals.

It would probably be another 15 goals just based on Karlsson's missing assists, heh. It'll be a great series.

/Apologizing in advance for anything that I say that offends Sens fans during this series.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Fair enough.