• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

1/4 Of The Season Done: Pros/Cons

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So 1/4 of the season is done and the Devils are sitting pretty so far. There are far more pros in my opinion than cons, but I figured we should try and figure out what still needs work and what we're doing well.

Pro: Goaltending has been unbelievable. Both guys have looked sharp and I like that Marty isn't playing every game.

Pro: Secondary scoring. With the loss of Parise and Sykora this was a concern. Kovy had a slow start and we're still finding ways to score. The Carter/Gionta/Bernier line has been great, Clarkson is proving he's the real deal, Butler, Henrique have stepped up. It's nice to see that the depth is still there.

Pro: Our D has been producing offensively. This is a whole new dynamic to a team that for years got absolutely nothing out of the blue line.

Con: Penalties. The Devils for years were the most disciplined team in the league. This year we have been wreckless with the penalties. They are generally very lazy, mental lapse type penalties. Our PK has been solid but we can't keep taking 4 or 5 penalties a game, we'll burn ourselves out.

Con: Salvador has been arguably our worst blue liner. I think he'll recover and go back to being shutdown but he's made some very uncharacteristic plays, misreads, bad turnovers etc.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
yeah i agree with everything on there.

would like to add the powerplay as a con. its slowly turning around hopefully but if it was even remotely decent to start the season the devils would've probably won all their games.

con on the defense break out it seems like even last night they just toss the puck out either in a haste or not quickly enough.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah i agree with everything on there.

would like to add the powerplay as a con. its slowly turning around hopefully but if it was even remotely decent to start the season the devils would've probably won all their games.

con on the defense break out it seems like even last night they just toss the puck out either in a haste or not quickly enough.

This is a big one. There are a lot of times where we gift wrap scoring chances for the other team with sloppy clearing attempts. Either weak along the boards or just lame duck passes. We definately need to improve on that.

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Totally disagree RE Salvador. Guy is drawing the toughest minutes of any d-man on the team.