• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 09.21.23 Rise of the Rookies

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5-26 in their last 31 games on the road

That is '62 Mets level bad
I know cal doesn't like the comparison, but this has shades of 2016. Yes, that team was better (they actually made the playoffs, barely) but there are some strong parallels. Both cratered badly after good first halves. Heck, this year's squad was playing so well at one point that they had a 95 win projection, if I remember correctly. And that is pretty impressive considering April.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys, this 2-7 loss isn't completely bad. Sure, it was against the Dodgers. And yes, our old friend Shelby Miller won the game against us. Oh, and yes, this pushes us closer to official elimination. But y'all, Max Muncy went 0 for 4! Isn't that better than a win!?!?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, I'd like to point out that the 3 rookies in the lineup went a combined 2 for 8, with a double, RBI and 3 walks (and 4 Ks). Meanwhile, the rest of the lineup went 1 for 21 with a home run, 2 walks and 11 Ks. Love that veteran leadership!

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So apparently washed up veterans CAN have bounce backs. All this season I thought it wasn't the case. Whoa.

Look what the Dodgers did with JD Martinez, who has 30 HR and 90+ RBI after being "washed up" in Boston. He's always been a good hitter, and the Dodgers made him even better this season.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys, this 2-7 loss isn't completely bad. Sure, it was against the Dodgers. And yes, our old friend Shelby Miller won the game against us. Oh, and yes, this pushes us closer to official elimination. But y'all, Max Muncy went 0 for 4! Isn't that better than a win!?!?

Small victories! It should count in the official record with an asterisk. "Lost, but Max Muncy didn't beat us."

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know cal doesn't like the comparison, but this has shades of 2016. Yes, that team was better (they actually made the playoffs, barely) but there are some strong parallels. Both cratered badly after good first halves. Heck, this year's squad was playing so well at one point that they had a 95 win projection, if I remember correctly. And that is pretty impressive considering April.
The ‘16 team was the best team in the Bigs pre-ASB and tied for the worst in the Bigs post-ASB. That was a VERY good team where SOMETHING happened (there have been hints that SOMETHING happened, but no leaks). The ‘23 team played over their heads for about 2 months, and even that only got them to a ”95 win projection”. I will grant that their bad might not be their real level, but I believe the bad is more truthful than the good.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ‘16 team was the best team in the Bigs pre-ASB and tied for the worst in the Bigs post-ASB. That was a VERY good team where SOMETHING happened (there have been hints that SOMETHING happened, but no leaks). The ‘23 team played over their heads for about 2 months, and even that only got them to a ”95 win projection”. I will grant that their bad might not be their real level, but I believe the bad is more truthful than the good.
Both looked a lot better going into the All-Star break than what the end of season product looked like. This year's team wasn't going to be that bad, right? I don't think any of us envisioned this kind of skid (except maybe Hangman).

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both looked a lot better going into the All-Star break than what the end of season product looked like. This year's team wasn't going to be that bad, right? I don't think any of us envisioned this kind of skid (except maybe Hangman).
Imho, the only similarities are that there was a mid season crash. But that’s it.

Lots of teams crash, though. That really isn’t a unique trait that would cause two teams to be compared to each other.