• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Zajac/Toews Underrated/Overrated?

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
YanksDevsGmen posted this on the Devils board over at ESPN, kind of interesting. Toews clearly showed up in the playoffs and Zajac did not but still something to think about.

"Zajac had 67 points, Toews at 68. Both were +22, coincidentally, both had first line center roles on #2 seeded teams. In 76 games, Toews had 202 shots, Zajac played 82 games and shot 210 times. Both of them are very good defensively. Toews had more power play goals, but that simply means Zajac scored more 5 on 5."

So is Zajac severely underrated or is Toews overrated? Or a combination of the 2?

The Q stache

Cabbie Slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know much about zajac, but I do know that Toews still has more room to grow and he has that winning quality that is hard to find.

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if Zajac was named MVP of the Olympics and took home a Conn Smythe, people would be mentioning his name a lot too.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that IS interesting, but to people pointing out Toews Gold Medal and Cup, yes that's a factor, but Toews was on the better teams. I think Toews will become the much better player, and a lot of his accolades from this past season were a little enlarged. IMO he won the Conn Smythe because there was really no one else that made sense. He was consistent for the hawks, but really didn't dominate...same with the Olympics. Consistent, but not dominant. nothing wrong with that...it's what happens on really good teams. the team performs well as a whole, not just one guy carrying them on his back.

h X c Chris

foul-mouthed
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Toews is highly overrated. You said it yourself, 68 points. He's not even the best player on his own team. Toews "winning quality" didnt show up in the Cup Finals. Thats all I have to say.

The Q stache

Cabbie Slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Toews is highly overrated. You said it yourself, 68 points. He's not even the best player on his own team. Toews "winning quality" didnt show up in the Cup Finals. Thats all I have to say.

I watched every Hawks game last year, so I can say without a doubt Toews is the best player on the team. He may have only had 68 points but he does all of the little things that it takes to win. It is not a coincidence that he is the youngest member of the triple gold club. He is an excellent defensive forward and tremendous leader. If i was starting a team the person I would take over him is Crosby. Not saying he is the 2nd best player in the league though.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd say Toews has become slightly overrated just because of all of the recent success, but he's definitely still an amazing player. And Chris, you are right in that Kane is the best offensive player on the Hawks, but Toews is the best player on that team period. Who takes all the big faceoffs? Who kills more penalties? Who plays the more important position (that also requires more defensive responsibility)?

As for the originally posed question. Yes, Zajac is highly underrated. However, anybody that actually follows hockey (not just their team in general) knows that Zajac is a very good player. He's also responsible defensively (duh Devs, lol) which is nice too.

Last edited by a moderator:

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say Toews has become slightly overrated just because of all of the recent success, but he's definitely still an amazing player. And Chris, you are right in that Kane is the best offensive player on the Hawks, but Toews is the best player on that team period. Who takes all the big faceoffs? Who kills more penalties? Who plays the more important position (that also requires more defensive responsibility)?

you also forgot the intangables he has over Kane...IE maturity, leadership, responsibility. not all of these are vital to a players success on the ice, but they are needed to have a Cup Winner. if Toews had Kane's personality, i don't think the Hawks win that Cup. i have nothing but respect for JT...he's not only an awesome player, but a fantastic leader and 'ambassador for the sport'. great person.

h X c Chris

foul-mouthed
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Who the hell is talking about Patrick Kane? Patrick Kane is a little douche nozzle that assaults cab drivers.. Duncan Keith is a better player than both of them. Hes better defensively than the whole team, and he has more points than Toews. I'm sorry Toews is OVERRATED. Toews may have a Stanley Cup but he was invisible in the Cup Finals. Keith has a Stanley Cup too, i'm sorry Keith > Toews all day. Toews is beyond overrated. When is the last time a middle of the pack 68 point guy got this much hype?

The Q stache

Cabbie Slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who the hell is talking about Patrick Kane? Patrick Kane is a little douche nozzle that assaults cab drivers.. Duncan Keith is a better player than both of them. Hes better defensively than the whole team, and he has more points than Toews. I'm sorry Toews is OVERRATED. Toews may have a Stanley Cup but he was invisible in the Cup Finals. Keith has a Stanley Cup too, i'm sorry Keith > Toews all day. Toews is beyond overrated. When is the last time a middle of the pack 68 point guy got this much hype?

So byyour logic everyone on the flyers is worse than toews cause they all have less points, and toews has a cup.

h X c Chris

foul-mouthed
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
By my logic i'm not comparing anyone on the Flyers as a top 3 player in the league. By my logic I never stated the Flyers were "the most talented team in the league". Those are things you've claimed, and I disagree completely.

I dont see what the Flyers have to do with anything in a thread where were talking about is TOEWS overrated?

Flyers got to the finals because they had depth, not because we had a bunch of superstars. The Blackhawks did the samething, only now they dont have any depth.

Yes, Toews is overrated.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LOL, yeah you're definitely not still bitter about the finals. :D

I don't think anybody thinks that Toews is in the top 3 players in the game? Where are you hearing these things? I think that distinction belongs to Ovechkin, Crosby, and Malkin. Hell even through Datsyuk and Zetterberg in there too. However, Toews is only 22, and he can still get better. Your use of hyperbole would be more effective if you actually would admit later that Toews is a good player. You take things others say to the extreme a lot well then I could do the same.....so according to you Toews is one of the worst players in the NHL???. See what I did there?

Look, Toews (at this current time) wouldn't crack the top 10 players in the league. However, he could get there should he keep developing his potential. Also, it's very rare for players to "show up" for all 4 rounds of the playoffs. Malkin didn't show up for the Red Wings series last year, but he had a little bit better finals than Crosby. Philadelphia had/has an awesome defense.....they can make a lot of great forwards look bad when they are focused on the best players on the other team.....ala Kane and Toews. Hell, Chris Pronger must not be one of the top 3 defensemen in the game because he was 5th in scoring amongst defense?

I'd actually agree with you in that Keith is just as important to the Blackhawks as Toews if not more important. I was thinking best forward (although I didn't specify that.....and did say team......whoops). Good call on that Chris. However, your assertion that Toews deserves no respect because he had a tough 6 games in the Finals against the Flyers leaves a lot to be desired in my humble opinion.

Anyway, I understand if you hate him. It's all good, to each their own my friend. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
in a less abrasive way, i agree with chris. it's depth that got both those teams to the finals...and i really don't see toews as a top 5 player in the league. i agree with Q in that he's a player i'd take towards the top if i were to start a team however, due to those intangibles. so, the summation of my opinion is this...Toews: awesome player, especially with the price tag he has because he has a full package, however he's a bit overrated when it comes to personal achievement because of the successes his TEAM has had. doesn't make him any less of a great player/person, just means that the media expects a little much from him (like they do anytime a player wins the cup/smythe).

h X c Chris

foul-mouthed
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
LOL, yeah you're definitely not still bitter about the finals. :D

I don't think anybody thinks that Toews is in the top 3 players in the game? Where are you hearing these things? I think that distinction belongs to Ovechkin, Crosby, and Malkin. Hell even through Datsyuk and Zetterberg in there too. However, Toews is only 22, and he can still get better. Your use of hyperbole would be more effective if you actually would admit later that Toews is a good player. You take things others say to the extreme a lot well then I could do the same.....so according to you Toews is one of the worst players in the NHL???. See what I did there?

Look, Toews (at this current time) wouldn't crack the top 10 players in the league. However, he could get there should he keep developing his potential. Also, it's very rare for players to "show up" for all 4 rounds of the playoffs. Malkin didn't show up for the Red Wings series last year, but he had a little bit better finals than Crosby. Philadelphia had/has an awesome defense.....they can make a lot of great forwards look bad when they are focused on the best players on the other team.....ala Kane and Toews. Hell, Chris Pronger must not be one of the top 3 defensemen in the game because he was 5th in scoring amongst defense?

I'd actually agree with you in that Keith is just as important to the Blackhawks as Toews if not more important. I was thinking best forward (although I didn't specify that.....and did say team......whoops). Good call on that Chris. However, your assertion that Toews deserves no respect because he had a tough 6 games in the Finals against the Flyers leaves a lot to be desired in my humble opinion.

Anyway, I understand if you hate him. It's all good, to each their own my friend. :)

I'm not bitter I can take a picture of all my Blackhawks jerseys, hoodies, and shirts if you'd like. I've been a fan of them since the Roenick days. I just dont believe Toews is as great as everyone is making him out to be. I dont see how making the statement that Keith is better than Toews makes me bitter.

Anyway I couldnt find the "Toews is top 3 in the league" post but I found the other one:

"moustacheQ
Post #10: Aug 15, 10:10:40 Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 184
I'd say the Hawks. Even with the players they lost they're still the most talented team in the league and also the youngest."

By the way, from what you were saying about his potential. I can claim that Ovechkin has the potential to put up 93 goals, but until he does it who really cares? He has yet to crack 70 points. I'll be honest with you, as much depth as the Hawks had last year...I dont even know if they make the playoffs if you take Keith off that team. If you take Toews off...I think they still make it.

Thats just MY opinion.

The Q stache

Cabbie Slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not bitter I can take a picture of all my Blackhawks jerseys, hoodies, and shirts if you'd like. I've been a fan of them since the Roenick days. I just dont believe Toews is as great as everyone is making him out to be. I dont see how making the statement that Keith is better than Toews makes me bitter.

Anyway I couldnt find the "Toews is top 3 in the league" post but I found the other one:

"moustacheQ
Post #10: Aug 15, 10:10:40 Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 184
I'd say the Hawks. Even with the players they lost they're still the most talented team in the league and also the youngest."

By the way, from what you were saying about his potential. I can claim that Ovechkin has the potential to put up 93 goals, but until he does it who really cares? He has yet to crack 70 points. I'll be honest with you, as much depth as the Hawks had last year...I dont even know if they make the playoffs if you take Keith off that team. If you take Toews off...I think they still make it.

Thats just MY opinion.

Fair enough

Though out of curiosity where did you get that quote from, it wasnt me.

Automattic

I'm baaaaaaack....
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I guess I'm old school. I don't need point totals and other people's opinions to tell me how good the player is that I'm watching.

HonusWagner66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way do I think Toews is the fifth best player in the league, like The Hockey News ranked him. He's pretty overrated by a lot of people in my opinion. I'd take Keith over Toews. Hell, I think Hossa is the best forward on that team.