• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

You're the new GM

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm on a similar boat.

well except the fact that
I stay inside when the winds get above 30 m.p.h. just for precautionary measures

I had to develop a low center of gravity. Otherwise, I would seldom leave the house.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd probably go ahead and fire Caldwell and take a hard look at Lombardi and Austin for the job.

Lombardi for head coach job?

It's puff puff give,

not puff puff puff puff puff puff puff puff puff puff puff puff puff puffpuff puff puff puff puff puff puff puff puff puff puff puff puff puff

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@lionstop1

This is why I like your posts. You always think things through. I can actually see your thoughts on Lombardi being held down. We as fans really never know who is pulling the strings. Usually only way you find out is if a huge finger pointing session occurs. Rarely happens though.

He seemed to open things up against the Bears. Which could further your thoughts, that stone face finally gave in.

With this being said. I still can't stand Lombardi. Man, if this is his way of showing a new GM he is worth a job. He needs to work on his resume.

Let me explain:

I think one of the hardest things to do is to find a head coach in this league. I also know that most of the great head coaches had very rough starts to their careers. These assistants are always held back with the things they really want to to in most cases. It has already been reported that Caldwell has his hand in the game plans and the offense in general.

I think teams have to do something a little drastic to find those gems. Lombardi already has the name and he has been working behind Payton for a while so I think there might be something there. It's not a bad option once you consider bringing in an entire new coach or taking a chance on some has-been that has already been fired or retired. The Lions need something new.

What I saw in the Bears game was a team that executed the plays that were called. I didn't see much difference in the play-calling. The Lions could've put up 600+ if it wasn't for the dumb turnovers.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think teams have to do something a little drastic to find those gems. Lombardi already has the name and he has been working behind Payton for a while so I think there might be something there.

Are you voting for Jeb Bush too? He's got the name.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think one of the hardest things to do is to find a head coach in this league.

Especially when you have the reputation the Lions have. Forget about any good established head coach ever coming here. It will have to be someone new, and the GM will have to be good at reading people to hit on a good one.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My schedule these days make it a little tougher for me to post as much any more.

man please....... Tell the truth Old Lion.

In your spare time, you're defying Fog's rule of no more double M's.

I'm pretty sure you don't come to tHoop as much cuz viewing pics of Makayla Maroney is more important.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I saw in the Bears game was a team that executed the plays that were called. I didn't see much difference in the play-calling. The Lions could've put up 600+ if it wasn't for the dumb turnovers.

I saw many different play calls. Albeit due to injuries, but saw some different wrinkles. Lombardi actually ran the safeties away and flushed the LB's from the zone of the first read. Created many one on ones. Early in season he flooded a zone with two receivers. The OL did different blocking also. They had to see something on film were they showed some tendencies along the front.

Riddick being in with AA sitting took away some predictability. I felt Matt had more predesigned roll outs. You put all these different scenarios together and I felt it was easer to execute because a defense was actually clueless of the plays coming.

You've admitted not being a big OL guy. So saying you expect a man to make blocks no matter the scheme. Huge difference in zone and power, huge. You also can't expect a man to constantly make a block when a defense knows Riddick comes in and a pass is coming. Same reason why you see more sacks late in games when a team is trailing. Defense knows what's coming the entire drive.

It's hard enough to get open against some of the top corners in the league. Now, tell that CB what route is being ran and see what the outcomes are. Same scenario for executing a block. DB's I know you are head and shoulders above my knowledge of, but that's execution 101. You can't put all this blame on execution. Lombardi and Caldwell have to shoulder this also.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think one of the hardest things to do is to find a head coach in this league. I also know that most of the great head coaches had very rough starts to their careers. These assistants are always held back with the things they really want to to in most cases. It has already been reported that Caldwell has his hand in the game plans and the offense in general.
Knoll and also Bellicheat struggled early on. Both, most likely fired early by today's standards. Agreed on that statement.

Gunny rarely did much wide nine. but was forced to use it under Schwartz I felt. So, yes many head coaches put their finger prints on a team. Caldwell is a run first guy and yet I'm not seeing it though. I know the run game sucks, but when speaking of head coaches controlling things, they will continually fail rather than change.(revert back to wide9) Not seeing that from Joe's offense because of Jim.

It could also be I'm so jaded with Lombardi, he will never be good in my eyes until he leads some other team to a SB... LOL.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huge difference in zone and power, huge.

:agree:

I fo damn sho ain't you when it comes to OL critique of scheme and technique flaws, as you're my go to guy to let me know what I'm really missing, but some of those plays have had Swanson dropping back two steps and looping around Tomlinson (don't know the technical term) or Swanson immediately firing off the Line heading front of RG, leaving a 1 or 2 tech NT/DT absolutely blowing by inside Tomlinson trying to move to Swanny's slot. Same crap with Waddle/Lucas missing line change calls and immediately swinging behind and looping around Warford.

{+}Mother-Marge{+}

Hoopla Cash
$ 50.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does it really matter? The job security of being a Lions GM is the highest in the league. Surely you could work in a yearly supply of lipstick.

Would you keep any cats around the office?
.....I got 12-cats,.....just like my Tom Brady's #,...*sigh*....!

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree:

I fo damn sho ain't you when it comes to OL critique of scheme and technique flaws, as you're my go to guy to let me know what I'm really missing, but some of those plays have had Swanson dropping back two steps and looping around Tomlinson (don't know the technical term) or Swanson immediately firing off the Line heading front of RG, leaving a 1 or 2 tech NT/DT absolutely blowing by inside Tomlinson trying to move to Swanny's slot. Same crap with Waddle/Lucas missing line change calls and immediately swinging behind and looping around Warford.

You saw those also... Why I say they saw something on film. It worked on many plays. Saw it backfire on a couple, but once Stafford rolled oppo away from the rush. You will at times on quick developing pass plays or runs in both schemes leave a backside guy unblocked. Those unblocked guys on a straight drop back are just the lack of a RT situation being brought to light.

The Swanson drop back looked a bit wierd because of the route he would take. I was waiting to see some type of backside screen out of that with Swanson going right with Stafford and a screen to Wright lead by Warford and Waddle. Never saw it, so it lead me to think Lombardi or Washburn saw the Bears tipping their cap in certain formations on film. I give them kudos for trying different things, because it didn't most of the first 5 games.