• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Your teams draft

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
is it wrong that I'm kinda pumped about a kid picked 115th? (Patrick McNally)
I know that it's largely because it was my teams earliest pick, but that's awfully far down on the scouting depth chart.

Anytime a defenseman leads his team in scoring, has got to be a pretty special player.

though I just read that he was ranked 40th in the scouting list (among N.A. skaters).
so it seems like a heck of a deal.

Canucks seem to like the edumacated defensemen.
McNally - Harvard
Oberg - Minnesota Duluth
Connauton - Western Michigan U
Tanev - Rochester Institute of technology
Bieksa - Bowling Green University

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
though I just read that he was ranked 40th in the scouting list (among N.A. skaters).
so it seems like a heck of a deal.

Canucks seem to like the edumacated defensemen.
McNally - Harvard
Oberg - Minnesota Duluth
Connauton - Western Michigan U
Tanev - Rochester Institute of technology
Bieksa - Bowling Green University

My son teaches there. Good school. :)

islander4cups

Franchise dman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I really thought the Isles would take Fowler at 5. I was surprised when the pick was Niederreiter. Considering what he's done already & that he's one of the youngest players in the draft I like the pick a lot. Nino is only going to get better.

Trading both 2nd round picks to get the last pick of the 1st round was a bit steep but, I like the combination of size & skill that Brock Nelson brings to the table. He needs to add some weight which will definately happen while he's at North Dakota.

Getting Kirill Kabanov at pick #65 was AWESOME!! If he becomes a great player it's the steal of the draft. If he doesn't pan out, so what it's just a third round pick.

The Isles took a kid in Clark who's headed to Wisconsin in the thrid round. He could be a solid third liner in a few years.

The 4th round pick was traded to the Oilers for a 3rd next year.

The 5th rounder was an overage defenseman Tony DeHart. He's probably going to be in the AHL next year. Solid stay at home type. Willing to fight just about anybody.

Both 6th round picks went to Atlanta for a 5th next year.

Took a goalie in the 7th round.

I give the Islanders draft an A. Snow & Jankowski ended up with possibly 3 top 6 forwards with size & skill in a couple of years.

Originally, I was frustrated the Isles passed on Gormley and Fowler at the five pick, but taking Nino makes sense. They want size & skill to go with Tavares and they got that with the pick. Still, the Isles could have had defensive prospects of DeHaan, Hamonic, Donovan, and Fowler or Gormley. That means we likely would have had the best d-corps in the ATL if not the east in 5 seasons. But the Isles do need help up front as well.

Here is who the Isles took:

Round 1 5 NINO NIEDERREITER RW CH 6' 2" 201 WHL PORTLAND
Round 1 30 BROCK NELSON C US 6' 3" 205 HIGH-MN WARROAD
Round 3 65 KIRILL KABANOV LW RU 6' 2" 173 QMJHL MONCTON
Round 3 82 JASON CLARK C/LW US 6' 2" 180 HIGH-MN SHAT.ST.MARY'S
Round 5 125 TONY DEHART D US 6' 2" 187 OHL OSHAWA
Round 7 185 CODY ROSEN

I don't know anything about our picks after round three, but I'm pleased with our first 4 picks. Taking Kabanov in the third round was a great move. He's a troubled Russian (oxymoron) but if he can get his head on straight and not abandon everyone in jrs this year (if they kate him back), he could be a steal with his skill. Nelson will be in college for 3 seasons or so. He and Kabanov look like pipe cleaner figures I made in summer camp 20 years ago. They need to put on some muscle, but they have time.

Overall pleased with the draft. The Isles now have Tavares, Moulson, Bailey, Okposo, Nino, Petrov (IF he ever comes over from Russia), DeHaan, Hamonic, and Donovan all under age 23 for the future. Hopefully they will progress and we have brighter days ahead.

islander4cups

Franchise dman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
is it wrong that I'm kinda pumped about a kid picked 115th? (Patrick McNally)
I know that it's largely because it was my teams earliest pick, but that's awfully far down on the scouting depth chart.

Anytime a defenseman leads his team in scoring, has got to be a pretty special player.

I also love the soundbite from the guy we took in the 7th round: ‘As assets go, huge and mean are a fine place to start.

Wrong? No. But it doesn't mean we won't worry about you nonetheless :D:eek:

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
really...it's hard to rate who had the better draft, Anaheim or NYI. both got STEALS much later in rounds than predicted. Kabanov could be the biggest steal of the draft

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Canucks:

have to include the trade for Ballard in the mix, as it was our big move (and our first round pick).
it was rather expensive, but the pieces that we sent were going to have a hard time fitting into our plans. Bernier showed flashes, but never found his hands, even she slotted in the prime triplet role. Grabner is offensively gifted. He could be a very good player. he'll get a better chance at that in Florida then he would have here.
Canucks, for their part got tougher. Ballard's stats would have put him #1 on the Canucks (by a large margin) in blocked shots, and #2 in hits. Both of those are very valuable, and pretty much essential if Mitchell moves on.
Oreskovich seems like a 4th line plumber, if he hits and stays out of trouble, that's OK. he can replace Glass. again adds to the team's toughness.

as for the draft picks:
115: Patrick McNally. Every team needs a good irishman, maybe he can be a drinking buddy for O'Brien. They feel he was a bargain as because he has committed to go to Harvard.
145: Adam Polasek. the name reminds me too much of Libor. was passed over last draft due to a clerical error?
both are basically two large defensemen (6'3, 6'2), as our prospect bin is fairly dry on the blueline.

172 - Alex Freisen C - third line grinder.
175 - Jonathan Iilhti G - theythink he should be in the mix for Finland's WJHC team.
205 - Sawyer Hannay - another big (6'4) defenseman.

they seemed to get almost everyone from the QMJHL this year. odd.
oh well, at least i can get good scouting reports from juliansteed :)

the common theme seems to be grit.

I can't say I'm too familiar with Polasek or Hannay yet. I've heard of them and know who they play for but that's about it. I don't usually notice the visiting 16 and 17 year olds too much unless they are standouts like Gormley, Kabanov, or Sean Couturier (2011). They both play in the Atlantic Division though so going forward I should be able to keep an eye on them for you. ;)

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
really...it's hard to rate who had the better draft, Anaheim or NYI. both got STEALS much later in rounds than predicted. Kabanov could be the biggest steal of the draft

I'm really surprised Kabanov fell as far as he did. I wouldn't say that I'm shocked that nobody took him in the first round but it wouldn't have surprised me if someone like Washington decided to take a chance on him with the 26th pick, thinking that fellow Russians Ovie and Semin could help mentor him. Kabanov is said to have a bit o a rock star personality much like Ovie's. I thought for sure someone would take him in the 2nd round. This could indeed turnout to be a huge steal for the Islanders. They should be a force in a couple of years.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Originally, I was frustrated the Isles passed on Gormley and Fowler at the five pick, but taking Nino makes sense. They want size & skill to go with Tavares and they got that with the pick. Still, the Isles could have had defensive prospects of DeHaan, Hamonic, Donovan, and Fowler or Gormley. That means we likely would have had the best d-corps in the ATL if not the east in 5 seasons. But the Isles do need help up front as well.

Here is who the Isles took:

Round 1 5 NINO NIEDERREITER RW CH 6' 2" 201 WHL PORTLAND
Round 1 30 BROCK NELSON C US 6' 3" 205 HIGH-MN WARROAD
Round 3 65 KIRILL KABANOV LW RU 6' 2" 173 QMJHL MONCTON
Round 3 82 JASON CLARK C/LW US 6' 2" 180 HIGH-MN SHAT.ST.MARY'S
Round 5 125 TONY DEHART D US 6' 2" 187 OHL OSHAWA
Round 7 185 CODY ROSEN

I don't know anything about our picks after round three, but I'm pleased with our first 4 picks. Taking Kabanov in the third round was a great move. He's a troubled Russian (oxymoron) but if he can get his head on straight and not abandon everyone in jrs this year (if they kate him back), he could be a steal with his skill. Nelson will be in college for 3 seasons or so. He and Kabanov look like pipe cleaner figures I made in summer camp 20 years ago. They need to put on some muscle, but they have time.

Overall pleased with the draft. The Isles now have Tavares, Moulson, Bailey, Okposo, Nino, Petrov (IF he ever comes over from Russia), DeHaan, Hamonic, and Donovan all under age 23 for the future. Hopefully they will progress and we have brighter days ahead.

Petrov is going to be at Prospect Camp.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
I can't say I'm too familiar with Polasek or Hannay yet. I've heard of them and know who they play for but that's about it. I don't usually notice the visiting 16 and 17 year olds too much unless they are standouts like Gormley, Kabanov, or Sean Couturier (2011). They both play in the Atlantic Division though so going forward I should be able to keep an eye on them for you. ;)

great. I look forward to regular reports :D
i think Hannay is just a puncher - hopefully he can skate.

islander4cups

Franchise dman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Petrov is going to be at Prospect Camp.

but there is no word on whether he will be released from the final year of his KHL deal. Actually, he might have 2 years left on that deal. Who knows with the KHL.

Word was Snow got the khl to allow him to come to prospect camp during the wjc. I'm still not sure how it worked out, but there was nothing mentioned about long range for Petrov beyond the prospect camp.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I've had the opportunity to see Niederreiter play on several occasions including in the WHL playoffs, and trust me you're gonna be very happy with him. The kid is a stud.

Dupster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I kind of thought the Canucks were indeed going to trade their 1st rounder..but I thought it was going to be to acquire more picks. Am happy with another legit D and a project. Canucks need to be a bit bigger/meaner. Bernier just didn't cut it, and had a decent share of chances to do so on the top line and some pp time. Hopefully some of the years past draft picks are ready to fill in some holes. And there's some cap room for July 1st.

sTyLnK

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just be glad you actually got your number 1 pick. The Nets got absolutely screwed this year. Worst team, no contest, and they end up with the third pick. Like the Flyers were a few years ago.

Just another reason the NBA sucks. Their draft lottery sucks. Hell, all draft lotteries suck. I understand the reasoning - it means a team that threw the last games to get a better pick don't get an advantage, but it's annoying when the team that clearly needs the most help doesn't get it.

True, but no matter what happened, EDM would have gotten no worse then 2nd which means they would have gotten either Hall or Seguin no matter what.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but there is no word on whether he will be released from the final year of his KHL deal. Actually, he might have 2 years left on that deal. Who knows with the KHL.

Word was Snow got the khl to allow him to come to prospect camp during the wjc. I'm still not sure how it worked out, but there was nothing mentioned about long range for Petrov beyond the prospect camp.

By allowing Klemyentev to play in the WJC the Islanders were able to get Petrov to prospect camp. Word is AK Bars is willing to let Petrov go but, the NHL doesn't have a transfer agreement with Russia so it's hard to figure out what it would take to keep Petrov here. I don't know if the Islanders would be allowed to buy out his contract or not. Maybe Kirill would have to do it himself??

Automattic

I'm baaaaaaack....
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If Teemu Pulkkinen shakes the injury bug, he could very well be another late round steal from the Wings. (17 Gms, 21 g, 20 a. Jokerit)

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Canucks:
145: Adam Polasek. the name reminds me too much of Libor. was passed over last draft due to a clerical error?

147:Brendan Gallagher (Vancouver Giants) selected by the Habs

Libor Jr better not make us rue the day he was drafted ahead of a guy in our backyard. Yes Gallaghers a supersmurf but why the hell cant the Canucks draft a player from the Giants for once ?