• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Your NHL rule change-but only 1

4thstreet

You should pay me for being here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,850.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well we all have our opinions on overtime,the shootout,fighting,etc...

If you could change 1 rule only,what would it be?

For me,I'm going oldschool hockey-straight stick blades.I've often wondered how many more goals "Rocket" Richard,and guys of his era would have gotten if they had went to a curved stick.

FYI- 70 more days till they drop the puck for the Flyers opener.Tk god the Orioles are doing well,so the off season doesn't seem so long.

:suds:

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

For me,I'm going oldschool hockey-straight stick blades.I've often wondered how many more goals "Rocket" Richard,and guys of his era would have gotten if they had went to a curved stick.

FYI- 70 more days till they drop the puck for the Flyers opener.Tk god the Orioles are doing well,so the off season doesn't seem so long.

Hah. Well, Sid's okay then.

Fighting for me. That's not a shock to the elder-statesmen on this site though.

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's easy....

The team that finishes first in each conference gets an automatic win that they can apply in the playoffs.

I call this the "Victory in the Bank" system.

4thstreet

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,850.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Fighting for me. That's not a shock to the elder-statesmen on this site though.

I have no problem with fighting,as long as it happens in the heat of the moment,between 2 willing players.The pre-arranged,or retaliation after the fact garbage drives me nuts.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no problem with fighting,as long as it happens in the heat of the moment,between 2 willing players.The pre-arranged,or retaliation after the fact garbage drives me nuts.

I sort of agree, to a very small degree, but IMO: you can't separate the two without simply eliminating it. However, I don't want to bring this one up again, it's a very beaten horse.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
clearing the puck over the glass = same as icing.
quick faceoff, offending team can't change.
referee has the option to call delay of game penalty if deemed deliberate.

the offense is the same as icing (getting the puck out of the zone with too much oomph, to relieve pressure), so the disadvantage given should be the same.

4thstreet

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,850.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I sort of agree, to a very small degree, but IMO: you can't separate the two without simply eliminating it. However, I don't want to bring this one up again, it's a very beaten horse.

This is the only point I'll mention on the matter-don't know if it's been stated before.IMO fighting will never been taken out of the NHL,as it is the major factor that makes it different from the NFL.NBA and MLB.

In the other 3,you get tossed for fighting.In the NHL,you go to the sin bin for 5,and get another chance to break your knuckles on the other guys skull 1 more time .

Sad to say,but it's going to take a major injury,if not a death,to eliminate fighting IMO.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See ya shoot out.

4thstreet

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,850.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See ya shoot out.

The logic behind it alone is stupid.You play 3 20 minutes periods,and 5 minutes of overtime,then go to a shootout? Is everyone tired?

The World Cup playoff had me thinking about this.2 45 minutes halves,then 2 15 minutes ot periods,and if it's still not settled,a shootout.

Great way to decide a game after 2 hours of running.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say get rid of the trapezoid

Abe Vigoda

Formerly NYR
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Get rid of the shootout, trapezoid, and the body armor.

Amen! Baseball is boring.

Sid's backhand alone is sick!

I think I pooched the multi-Q function :doh:

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Always loved this argument. Players should scrap, but only if they are genuinely pissed off enough at each other to want to cause serious bodily harm.

Fighting has, sadly, run its course. And how much longer do contests last because every time a goalie makes a stop that ends play every player on the ice has to shove each other and call each other names for a minute like elementary school kids who pick up the ball and go home? It's boring. It's dumb. Dispose of it.

And don't give me the "keeps the goons in check" BS either. Suspend an idiot for a season if he makes a stupid play and watch how quickly that garbage is eliminated from the game.

Last edited by a moderator:

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sad to say,but it's going to take a major injury,if not a death,to eliminate fighting IMO.

Sad to say, but players have already died from a fight on the ice. Just not in the NHL.

Hockey player dies after fight | Toronto Star

I also favo(u)r keeping fighting in the game. But as was said earlier, the prearranged stuff is just nonsense. The rule change I would make is to make the prearranged fight an automatic game misconduct.

Then again, considering how many minutes a game these lummoxes play, I am not sure the coach doesnt already have a de facto game misconduct on the "enforcers"

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hockey is the ultimate team sport, yet games are decided by a one-on-one skills competition? Completely contradictory.

I'd be okay with 10 minutes 4-on-4 and 10 minutes 3-on-3 sudden death OT. If it's still tied after the extra 20, it's a tie.