• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Yo BamaBear ......

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to smoke a Boston Butt tomorrow. Any tips outside of low and slow? About an hour per pound @ 275? Chips ... Hickory? Apple? Pecan? ... those are the three varieties I have on hand. What say you? Or any of you other yahoo's that man a grill/smoker full time.

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apple is a great wood for smoking. Of course I had a tree knocked over in a storm two years ago and been using it ever since but I do like apple. Second choice would be hickory though many like it first. Hickory is a stronger smoke.

Then assuming your using an offset smoker I keep my temp just at 200 - 225 and cook until I reach an internal temperature of 195. Keep a water pan 50/50 apple juice and water between the meat and the fire box.

and chips? Chips go good with sandwiches not smoking butts.

Start with a ring of hot coals and put your pieces of wood on them. Large pieces, as large as you can fit in your fire box. Then keep adding wood.

If you don't have a digital thermometer with a remote readout get one. Pork need to reach 165 or 170 to be safe but butts need to reach 195 to be tender. The butts will reach a plateau at 170 and seem to stay there forever but keep on smoking because once they ctart climbing again that fat is rendering and your pulled pork is getting better and better.

Once it starts climbing again I start basting. A mixture of brown sugar, apple juice and bourbon (don't know how much I just do it) basting every 15 minutes until they reach temp.

Once at temp you can pull them apart right away or let them sit and cool if you can't take the heat. I did 85 pounds for my daughter's wedding as well as 30 pounds of baked beans.

Trick is not only slow and low but also keep the heat moist and you'll be fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apple is a great wood for smoking. Of course I had a tree knocked over in a storm two years ago and been using it ever since but I do like apple. Second choice would be hickory though many like it first. Hickory is a stronger smoke.

Then assuming your using an offset smoker I keep my temp just at 200 - 225 and cook until I reach an internal temperature of 195. Keep a water pan 50/50 apple juice and water between the meat and the fire box.

and chips? Chips go good with sandwiches not smoking butts.

Start with a ring of hot coals and put your pieces of wood on them. Large pieces, as large as you can fit in your fire box. Then keep adding wood.

If you don't have a digital thermometer with a remote readout get one. Pork need to reach 165 or 170 to be safe but butts need to reach 195 to be tender. The butts will reach a plateau at 170 and seem to stay there forever but keep on smoking because once they ctart climbing again that fat is rendering and your pulled pork is getting better and better.

Once it starts climbing again I start basting. A mixture of brown sugar, apple juice and bourbon (don't know how much I just do it) basting every 15 minutes until they reach temp.

Once at temp you can pull them apart right away or let them sit and cool if you can't take the heat. I did 85 pounds for my daughter's wedding as well as 30 pounds of baked beans.

Trick is not only slow and low but also keep the heat moist and you'll be fine.

Good stuff. Thanks Brother!

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks guy. The only other thing I would add is if your gonna do it do more than one butt. It takes a while so fill that meat chamber up and make it worth your while.

Now you got me ready to go do some q.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
giphy.gif

GreenNickle

Go Buckeyes Beat Michigan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks guy. The only other thing I would add is if your gonna do it do more than one butt. It takes a while so fill that meat chamber up and make it worth your while.

Now you got me ready to go do some q.

Ha ha ha
Is this an answer from a customer service agent @ Bonafiedsrumprangers.com FAQ section?

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speak it, don't necessarily recognize it.
I do like the idea of a Bonafiedsrumprangers.com though it may not have anything to do with pulling pork.

Well maybe it does.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
spoof threads are even awesomer in the food forum... Dare I say, Food for thought... heehee

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
apple for sureeeeeee........ id even use some apple juice or apple vinegar cider in the water pan