• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Yesterday

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The trade: we got bent over again, just like last year. I just don't understand the trades we make on draft day. It's obvious we go into panic mode and throw all patience and common sense out the window when we get to that point.

what I would have done yesterday: with so many players on he board, was just wait. I would have eventually grabbed Jernigan who I think was an incredible value and I would have traded up about halfway through the 3rd to get Crichton ( If Jernigan went i would have just taken Crichton). Yes that would have cost us a 4th or 5th depending on when we acted, but I felt the real strength of this draft was in the first 3 rounds.

Lawrence: really love the player himself. We need a pass rusher desperately. Not that im an expert, but He was one of the top players I had targeted at 47. If we grabbed him there this draft would be rated an A in my book at that point and looking to take another defender in the 3rd. It all comes down to how the team had these guys ranked, not us. We need a pass rushing RDE or this D won't work. We hopefully found our 3 tech if Melton is healthy. I think Spencer could play the RDE spot if healthy, but who knows about his knee. The basic fact from what I read last noght is the team saw 3 RDEs that they liked - Clowney, Barr and Lawrence. They also had a first round grade on Lawrence. So IF THAT IS ALL TRUE I understand a little better why they did it even though I think it was poor draft management. My problem is its the same inept thinking as last year. It's like short sighted impulsive children are running our war room sometimes. But, if Lawrence is the player the team thinks then this may work out for us in the long run. I heard he already gained weight since the combine. What concerns me is a couple of the scouting reports I read on him before the draft stated that he may not be ready to start this year. I'm sure he will be ready for a rotation this year and maybe more with Marinelli coaching him up.

All in all I am not angry about this pick and am still OK with this draft. We still have 9 picks to go and for all we know the team has players they love still out there. I think we all get too hung up on who we ourselves want, when in reality we just dont have a clue about how the team has ranked guys. My guess is we got two starters out of this draft already. I don't think we ultimately would have traded up for him if we didn't think he could compete for a starting job this year. Either way,the draft isn't about this year it's about the next 5 or 10 years. If we had this many holes that was due to the inept management our team has been under since Jimmmy left, not due to trading up to get this kid.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I off to root for my daughter in the State Gymnastics finals so I won't be able to follow too much until later tonight. Lets hope we grab some good players today!

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good luck to your Daughter in State

Hope she does wins.

Eastbay

We Dem Boyz!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The trade: we got bent over again, just like last year. I just don't understand the trades we make on draft day. It's obvious we go into panic mode and throw all patience and common sense out the window when we get to that point.

what I would have done yesterday: with so many players on he board, was just wait. I would have eventually grabbed Jernigan who I think was an incredible value and I would have traded up about halfway through the 3rd to get Crichton ( If Jernigan went i would have just taken Crichton). Yes that would have cost us a 4th or 5th depending on when we acted, but I felt the real strength of this draft was in the first 3 rounds.

Lawrence: really love the player himself. We need a pass rusher desperately. Not that im an expert, but He was one of the top players I had targeted at 47. If we grabbed him there this draft would be rated an A in my book at that point and looking to take another defender in the 3rd. It all comes down to how the team had these guys ranked, not us. We need a pass rushing RDE or this D won't work. We hopefully found our 3 tech if Melton is healthy. I think Spencer could play the RDE spot if healthy, but who knows about his knee. The basic fact from what I read last noght is the team saw 3 RDEs that they liked - Clowney, Barr and Lawrence. They also had a first round grade on Lawrence. So IF THAT IS ALL TRUE I understand a little better why they did it even though I think it was poor draft management. My problem is its the same inept thinking as last year. It's like short sighted impulsive children are running our war room sometimes. But, if Lawrence is the player the team thinks then this may work out for us in the long run. I heard he already gained weight since the combine. What concerns me is a couple of the scouting reports I read on him before the draft stated that he may not be ready to start this year. I'm sure he will be ready for a rotation this year and maybe more with Marinelli coaching him up.

All in all I am not angry about this pick and am still OK with this draft. We still have 9 picks to go and for all we know the team has players they love still out there. I think we all get too hung up on who we ourselves want, when in reality we just dont have a clue about how the team has ranked guys. My guess is we got two starters out of this draft already. I don't think we ultimately would have traded up for him if we didn't think he could compete for a starting job this year. Either way,the draft isn't about this year it's about the next 5 or 10 years. If we had this many holes that was due to the inept management our team has been under since Jimmmy left, not due to trading up to get this kid.

Bravo Zulu :clap: It is good to know that there are still some rational fans among us :suds:

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't like the trade for the same reason. Too much talent available and we got raped. I don't like the pick because I think he's too damn small to be a 4-3 DE. I wouldn't have targeted him at 47.

Now to all those crying about the one stating thief displeasure. Would you trade Lawrence for the 2 players we could of had if we stayed put?

How's that for rational?

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't like the trade for the same reason. Too much talent available and we got raped. I don't like the pick because I think he's too damn small to be a 4-3 DE. I wouldn't have targeted him at 47.

Now to all those crying about the one stating thief displeasure. Would you trade Lawrence for the 2 players we could of had if we stayed put?

How's that for rational?

I would. I still don't see how Kony Ealy wasn't viewed as a RDE? The guy tested among the fastest AND quickest DE at the combine. He has the ideal size for the position too, with a frame that can put on more muscle. A bit of a head scratcher for me...

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think snookdad brought this up last night- if we were going to do that in the second round why not do the same for Donald in the first and give up a second. So there all kinds of scenarios / combos we can look at. I do know we could have had Dix/ Ealy/ Nix if we dont do a thing. Personally I was never high on any of the 3 . I wanted Donald or trade down. I think it shows they feel better with our DTs than our DEs. I wanted Lawrence from the get go this week. Now I thought Monday he would be there at 47. I really think he started rising and the scouts and JJ saw it as the best pass rusher there. I believe there story.

So we get Martin and Lawrence. If we would have traded up for Donald- Im guessing we would taken Donald and Kareem Martin at 78. Thats just a guess. If we stayed put - Martin, Ealy/ Chrichton, Nix/ Sutton. For some reason Im liking the Marin/ Lawrence combo better than the others. JMO

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When they talked about Ealy last night, they made it sound like he needed more time to develop.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When they talked about Ealy last night, they made it sound like he needed more time to develop.

98% of rookies need time to develop. I'm not sure why that was an issue. Lawrence will need time to develop as well, he is going to get pushed around a lot this coming year.

Ealy was an all SEC performer last year, with big games against big time competition. Not sure what more they could have wanted from a prospect.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree , but I think right now he is a situational pass rusher . He isnt an every down player but supposedly with 12 Dlinemen on the roster already, there is going to be a lot of rotational play. I asked the question the other day is somebody that is gonna play 65 snaps a game such as a OL or a DB more valuable than a 30 snap guy. After Donald, Barr , Shazier- this was their choice as the next best pass rusher. With 12 DL already , the need was pass rushing IMO.

Eastbay

We Dem Boyz!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cowboys took the 3rd best pass rusher they had on THEIR board, NOT the fans board. How about we just let this play out :suds:

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cowboys took the 3rd best pass rusher they had on THEIR board, NOT the fans board. How about we just let this play out :suds:

Hard not to second guess this organization. Horrible track record last 15 years. Which is why you see such fan backlash to the trade they made. History suggests it's likely to be a failure.

Eastbay

We Dem Boyz!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard not to second guess this organization. Horrible track record last 15 years. Which is why you see such fan backlash to the trade they made. History suggests it's likely to be a failure.

Draft day is like being around a room full of broads on the rag :gaah:

Why continue to put yourself through the torture, if you have no faith? I am of the mindset why get worked up or worried about something you can't control. All you can do is just hope for the best , because you aren't going to stop being a fan........

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why continue to put yourself through the torture, if you have no faith? I am of the mindset why get worked up or worried about something you can't control. All you can do is just hope for the best , because you aren't going to stop being a fan........

I'm not bent out of shape about it. I have an opinion about it, sure. But I'm not losing any sleep. I have been a Cowboy fan for nearly 25 years. I don't get too high or too low for this team anymore.

You can be glass half full if you want. I respect that. But this is a sports message board, and it's sole purpose is for discussion like this.

Perhaps you're the one on the rag if you can't deal with dissenting opinions without resorting to insulting someone?

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And blind ass homers who simply can't see any mistakes.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do u know it is a mistake? Is that you Cleo?

How do know he was the best pass rusher available? We don't know do we. What I do know is he doesn't fit as a 4-3 DE. If we still ran the 3-4 I'd have less of an issue with him, but I'd still hate the dumb ass trade we made to get him.

Don't need Cleo to see this. Simple common sense would serve YOU well.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would. I still don't see how Kony Ealy wasn't viewed as a RDE? The guy tested among the fastest AND quickest DE at the combine. He has the ideal size for the position too, with a frame that can put on more muscle. A bit of a head scratcher for me...

I read where Ealy was the 2nd RE considered by Rod (still on the board when we traded) but Rod felt it was a big gap between Lawrence & Ealy, which is why they paid so much to move up. (hoping Rod knows more than us)
That kinda makes me feel better ......... I guess :rollseyes:

take it for what it is worth.