• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Yanks release "HIGH CEILING" Ackley

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wondering what the shrieking chorus on the old ESPN who told me that seager's "ceiling" was limited compared to ackley's have to say now?

can't wait to see which team picks him up. it'll be nice for a giggle, and if it's us, it'll be a guffaw.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow... Another wasted 1st round pick by the Mariners... Sad..

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow... Another wasted 1st round pick by the Mariners... Sad..

To be fair, every single other GM in baseball would've taken him. Ackley is the classic example of why analytics isn't helping baseball. Numbers crunching can only do so much when equating college baseball to professional baseball. Positive though is, without real scouts there watching Ackley, Seager most likely would be playing for someone else.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, every single other GM in baseball would've taken him. Ackley is the classic example of why analytics isn't helping baseball. Numbers crunching can only do so much when equating college baseball to professional baseball. Positive though is, without real scouts there watching Ackley, Seager most likely would be playing for someone else.

I understand that.. Just seems like they've whiffed on quite a few this decade...

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand that.. Just seems like they've whiffed on quite a few this decade...

Definitely, they have fudged some draft picks like Hultzen, Fields etc. But Ackley wasn't one of them since baseball went to retarded analytics. They take numbers into crap comparing how college stars with aluminum bats will equate to professional baseball. I'm not anti new age, but old school still has a place in baseball which Billy Beane knows since he's never won anything and Theo knows since his analytics have always been helped with extra money to help buy championships.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariners aren't the only team that's made 'bad' picks. Every kid has potential and every teams thinks they can unlock that potential and turn it into performance.

Some kids never can deal with the pressure to get better. some can't deal with the pressure of playing before crowds of minor league fans. Some just really don't have another gear or level of talent to succeed above single A.

It's a crap shoot in any league, NFL, NBA, NHL, but major league baseball players are out there on their own and don't have a "team" to hide behind. You either have it, or you don't.

I read once that 85% of major league baseball players were not high draft picks. These are the guys that were allowed to develop and took a few years without the notoriety or pressure to make to the bigs immediately. No excess pressure, no one constantly checking on their progress. They played everyday, did well and just moved along steadily.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely, they have fudged some draft picks like Hultzen, Fields etc. But Ackley wasn't one of them since baseball went to retarded analytics. They take numbers into crap comparing how college stars with aluminum bats will equate to professional baseball. I'm not anti new age, but old school still has a place in baseball which Billy Beane knows since he's never won anything and Theo knows since his analytics have always been helped with extra money to help buy championships.

I agree with what you're saying... I was ok w/ the Ackley selection... I don't know what it was, our farm system had poor coaching, etc... Who knows... Just odd that so many first rounders haven't panned out...

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with what you're saying... I was ok w/ the Ackley selection... I don't know what it was, our farm system had poor coaching, etc... Who knows... Just odd that so many first rounders haven't panned out...

To me, not saying it's correct. Was they spent all their and his time trying to convert him into a 2B when they drafted Seager who was a better 2B. Ackley spent all his time being rushed but mostly concentrating on the field instead of adjusting to hitting which is the opposite or Seager. He came up in Tacoma, switching to 3B but was hitting like .600, while Ackley hit like .330 but played shitty defense. Ackley turned himself into a really good 2B while IMO at the expense of his offense.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
to be clear, i don't begrudge z for the ackley pick at all

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
more like crapley amirite

Msfann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read once that 85% of major league baseball players were not high draft picks. These are the guys that were allowed to develop and took a few years without the notoriety or pressure to make to the bigs immediately. No excess pressure, no one constantly checking on their progress. They played everyday, did well and just moved along steadily.

Ken Griffey is the only #1 draft pick in the MLB hall of fame, thats crazy if you think about it.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ken Griffey is the only #1 draft pick in the MLB hall of fame, thats crazy if you think about it.

Chipper will probably be joining him in about a year.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wondering what the shrieking chorus on the old ESPN who told me that seager's "ceiling" was limited compared to ackley's have to say now?

can't wait to see which team picks him up. it'll be nice for a giggle, and if it's us, it'll be a guffaw.

The Mariners have quite the history with high draft picks. I'd start naming all our busts, but I'd probably be on here all night...

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sure, but this was after nearly a full season's worth of ackley playing at the major league level that i'm talking about.

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariners aren't the only team that's made 'bad' picks. Every kid has potential and every teams thinks they can unlock that potential and turn it into performance.

Some kids never can deal with the pressure to get better. some can't deal with the pressure of playing before crowds of minor league fans. Some just really don't have another gear or level of talent to succeed above single A.

It's a crap shoot in any league, NFL, NBA, NHL, but major league baseball players are out there on their own and don't have a "team" to hide behind. You either have it, or you don't.

Speaking of draft picks, when's Dubon making the bigs? Kid went to my high school, want to see him succeed. Even if it is with the Sox.

JJ_Spicket

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me neither, but Yuniesky Betancourt is still on my shit list.

Betancourt wasn't a Jack Z thing, in fact Jack Z was the one who dropped him like a bad habbit halfway into his first season as GM.

Unless you're saying you're begrudging him moving Yuniesky in which case ?????

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of draft picks, when's Dubon making the bigs? Kid went to my high school, want to see him succeed. Even if it is with the Sox.

Probably 2018, maybe mid-late 2017. Depends on whether the Sox are trying him at any other positions. I imagine he'll be starting in AAA after hitting .339/.371/.538 in AA. Definitely worth seeing if the power numbers are for real, the Carolina league tends to suppress power numbers. He was only 22 years old too. Pretty young for AA.

I have a feeling he has a bit of a Mookie Betts-esque breakout in him. I also wouldn't be surprised if the Sox use him as a trade chip, really not sure where he slots in right now unless the Sox maybe trade one of Benintendi/JBJ and convert him to the OF or maybe move him or Bogaerts (highly unlikely) to 3rd?

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
to be clear, i don't begrudge z for the ackley pick at all

No but I do begrude Yuniesky fucking Betancourt for screwing over the Mariners and moving them from the #1 pick to #2 the last series in 2008 against Oakland which landed the M's Ackley instead of Strasburg.

Edit: Crap Seahawks beat me to it. I really need to learn to read entire threads before responding haha

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Betancourt wasn't a Jack Z thing, in fact Jack Z was the one who dropped him like a bad habbit halfway into his first season as GM.

Unless you're saying you're begrudging him moving Yuniesky in which case ?????
Yuniesky cost us Strasburg in the last game of a meaningless 2008 season.