• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

WVU 74 TCU 69

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WV opens the Big 12 Conference with a win on the road as they squeak by a pesky Horned Frog squad. The Mountaineers got TCU into foul trouble late in the game and that proved to have an impact on the outcome. TCU fouled out 2 key players which allowed Staten to take over with his quickness for easy looks at the rim. Folks ,Staten is real quick but if you are a point guard, you have to make your free throws if you are going to consistently get to the line. Staten was a meager 6-10 including a missed front end of a one and one earlier in the game.

Key stats: How about 17 Offensive rebounds? WV wins the battle of the glass 38-30. WV shoots 24-59 from the field including 7-17 from 3 point land. Erin Harris led the way with 22 points as he looked determined to score (ala MJ) when WV sorely needed a bucket. Staten ended up with 15, Williams 12 and Henderson 10. Adrian chips in 9pts. WV had 14 assists to only 9 TO's and logged 6 steals. A pedestrian effort at line for the team as they shot 19-28 (67.9%).

So today, we can brag that we are in first place in the Big 12 and, if you clip Texas Tech Monday, you can still make that claim. I was not overly impressed with this win but WV did do what it needed to do to get out with the W. This team is so much more efficient with the basketball than that train wreck last year, it isn't even close. I especially liked how they attacked the 2-3 Zone several times by getting it to the foul line and then ,with a quick pass , down on the baseline for an easy close look at the bucket. The biggest weakness with this club right now is defense. Today they matched pretty well with TCU but against bigger, longer clubs they seem to struggle. Let's just hope we continue to improve and get the ball in the hands of the scorers in the places they like it. Have a great day Mountaineer fans wherever your country has taken you!

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the defense was garbage and our foul shooting is still beyond bad, but hey TCU was bad too and at the end of the day: A WIN IS A WIN.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ugly wins count the same. Harris played well. Seemed like there was good energy. I agree that defense is a concern. They appear to be defending the high screen better so far. I guess we'll see how it looks once we play better competition, but yesterday looked improved.