• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Worst organizations at developing starting pitchers

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I posted this on the Phillies board but then I remembered there are only like 8 people there and this is a question that is bothering me now? Here goes:

Here's an interesting question? How many good starting pitchers have come through the Phillies "system" in the last 50 years? I'm skipping Nola because he was already a polished product in college who they fast tracked to the majors. So the only one I can think of is Cole Hamels. Schilling, Lee, Halladay, Carlton all came from other organizations. Brett Myers? Dick Ruthven? Larry Christenson? Pat Combs (lol) I can't even remember any good pitchers we traded away.

Ok, I'll give the Phillies Nola I guess because they didn't "ruin" him in those 18 starts in the minors. But I'm really having a hard time thinking of any more. Also, is there any team that is even worse than this at developing starters? (keep in mind I'm looking for worse, I don't care about all the teams that are better)

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Twins. Easy.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle Mariners !

Next Question
You could be right, it's hard to remember which guys came up through a minor league system and which ones got traded early in their careers and became good starters with another team.
But how about Felix Hernandez, Jim Abbott, Floyd Bannister maybe?

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You could be right, it's hard to remember which guys came up through a minor league system and which ones got traded early in their careers and became good starters with another team.
But how about Felix Hernandez, Jim Abbott, Floyd Bannister maybe?

Only Hernandez and they ruined his arm at a young age !

Abbott was an Angel and Bannister was an Astro

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Twins. Easy.
Johan Santana, Brad Radke...I guess Jim Kaat was more than 50 years ago. I'd have to think about it. But I've followed the Phillies for years and all I've got is Hamels, Nola, I guess Ruthven was a good No.2-3 starter and a bunch of marginal number 5 starters (speaking of which, Charles Hudson, Randy Lerch)

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
depends on how long u want to go back last good red sox pitcher was lester:suds:

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only Hernandez and they ruined his arm at a young age !

Abbott was an Angel and Bannister was an Astro
Ok, they might be in the running. Mark Langston was good though

molsaniceman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Johan Santana, Brad Radke...I guess Jim Kaat was more than 50 years ago. I'd have to think about it. But I've followed the Phillies for years and all I've got is Hamels, Nola, I guess Ruthven was a good No.2-3 starter and a bunch of marginal number 5 starters (speaking of which, Charles Hudson, Randy Lerch)
if u go way back its robin roberts :suds:

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
depends on how long u want to go back last good red sox pitcher was lester:suds:
I just arbitrarily set it at 50 years so there's also Clemens. And did Eckersley come up with the Red Sox?

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if u go way back its robin roberts :suds:
True, but that goes over the 50 year mark. Maybe I'm being hard on the Phillies because it does seem that a lot of these pitching prospects end up getting thrown into trades before they have their good seasons. But like I said, I can't even think of any good pitchers that came up through the system that they traded away. But it could be just the way the eco-system works. Teams with less money like the Expos or expansion teams (like the 60's Mets) pay more attention to developing starters because they can get more for them in trades later.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Red Sox have done a pretty lousy job outside of Lester and Buchholz. And even with Buchholz, I'd still say his career was pretty disappointing. Buchholz had only three seasons with 25+ starts and two of those years were mediocre. 2013 looked like the year he was finally putting it all together and then he hit the DL for pretty much the entire summer. Eduardo Rodriguez wasn't drafted by the Sox. Matt Barnes was drafted as a SP in the first round of 2011 and he only made two starts in the majors and has been a fairly mediocre reliever. Tanner Houck was also drafted as a SP and he's relieving in AAA. Groome can't stay healthy.

Rod Freakin' Dangerfield

Bringing the COCK to SportsHoopla!
Hoopla Cash
$ 14.95
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I posted this on the Phillies board but then I remembered there are only like 8 people there and this is a question that is bothering me now? Here goes:

Here's an interesting question? How many good starting pitchers have come through the Phillies "system" in the last 50 years? I'm skipping Nola because he was already a polished product in college who they fast tracked to the majors. So the only one I can think of is Cole Hamels. Schilling, Lee, Halladay, Carlton all came from other organizations. Brett Myers? Dick Ruthven? Larry Christenson? Pat Combs (lol) I can't even remember any good pitchers we traded away.

Ok, I'll give the Phillies Nola I guess because they didn't "ruin" him in those 18 starts in the minors. But I'm really having a hard time thinking of any more. Also, is there any team that is even worse than this at developing starters? (keep in mind I'm looking for worse, I don't care about all the teams that are better)

I know who it ain't.

tenor.gif

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Red Sox have done a pretty lousy job outside of Lester and Buchholz. And even with Buchholz, I'd still say his career was pretty disappointing. Buchholz had only three seasons with 25+ starts and two of those years were mediocre. 2013 looked like the year he was finally putting it all together and then he hit the DL for pretty much the entire summer. Eduardo Rodriguez wasn't drafted by the Sox. Matt Barnes was drafted as a SP in the first round of 2011 and he only made two starts in the majors and has been a fairly mediocre reliever. Tanner Houck was also drafted as a SP and he's relieving in AAA. Groome can't stay healthy.
Yeah, but in my 50 year window the Phillies easily beat them out in lack of solid starters. Clemens was an ace, Oil Can Boyd, Bruce Hurst, were solid no. 2-3 pitchers, Bob Stanley was good. Lonborg had years where he was a no. 1 but he might be outside of the 50 year rule.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll exclude some teams.

Braves,Dodgers,Expos/Nationals,Mets,Astros, ,Giants,Cardinals,Orioles, and now that I thought it through, the Red Sox. Still looking at Phillies with Seattle and Twins in the running.

Also Blue Jays with Halladay, Stieb, Jimmy Key, Clancy easily pass the Phillies.

molsaniceman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sorry but the rockies win this easily the park doesnt help but their best pitcher in 27 years is ubaldi:suds:

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
in the 70's and 80's, my Royals were really good at developing starting pitching. Not so much the last 30 years.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Angels

Guy Incognito

Crack a window, will ya?
Hoopla Cash
$ 342.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd argue that Myers and Happ were at least adequate. Kevin Gross and Randy Wolf weren't great, but they weren't atrocious. Ryan Madson wouldn't hit the starter qualifier, but he was a pitcher the Phillies had from the minors on up, and he was an effective pitcher at multiple stops.