• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POLL Worse loss? From a fan perspective

Rather lose to a scrub or get beat soundly by a good team?

• Total voters

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Clemsons loss last night and Ohio State getting beat pretty bad by the Sooners it got me thinking? Which is worse?

Not from a who get ranked where perspective, that will get debated enough, but from a personal fan perspective? If your team is a contender, would it make you feel worse to lose to a scrub in an upset, or get smacked down by another contender?

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Losing to a scrub means that you don't have to worry about head to head coming into play. It could be pawned off as a bad night, over looking the other team, road game, whatever.

There's no excuses for not having your team ready for a big game against a major opponent.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Losing to a scrub means that you don't have to worry about head to head coming into play. It could be pawned off as a bad night, over looking the other team, road game, whatever.

There's no excuses for not having your team ready for a big game against a major opponent.
I would argue that there's no excuse for losing to a team that is dramatically less talented than yours. Shit, Syracuse lost to Middle Tennessee. Oklahoma is at least a talented team with an elite offense.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would argue that there's no excuse for losing to a team that is dramatically less talented than yours. Shit, Syracuse lost to Middle Tennessee. Oklahoma is at least a talented team with an elite offense.
Again, there is no excuse for Ohio State not showing up to a home game at night. There is no narrative that really is going to say hey, I know these two teams have the same record, both are conference champs, but let's completely ignore the head to head game because Oklahoma lost to Iowa State. It would DESTROY out of conference scheduling because it means that beating quality opponents is meaningless. Oklahoma has no fear of a Iowa State using the head to head card.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Id rather lose to a scrub for this reason. Clemson doesn't have to worry about Syracuse again . Ohio St is still competing with Oklahoma as it pertains to a playoff spot . That means if both teams win out there is no way OSU gets in over OU ( even if they're clearly the better team by year's end ). If Clemson wins out they'll be fine .

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting dominated is just more damaging to my fab psyche than an upset loss.

I also realize my poll choices kind of were unclear. Gimme the scrub means you think getting beat bad by a gpod team is worse. At least it was a contender means you think the scrub loss was worse. I suck, I know

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, there is no excuse for Ohio State not showing up to a home game at night. There is no narrative that really is going to say hey, I know these two teams have the same record, both are conference champs, but let's completely ignore the head to head game because Oklahoma lost to Iowa State. It would DESTROY out of conference scheduling because it means that beating quality opponents is meaningless. Oklahoma has no fear of a Iowa State using the head to head card.
Who says anyone is ignoring the H2H? I'm saying from a fan perspective, if I'm looking at how good my team is, I'm looking a lot harder at these sort of bad losses to low level teams more than a loss to a really good team, especially if we win out.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, OU could have lost to my Miners and beat Iowa State. At least it wouldn't have been a conference loss.

Jekku

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say it's always better to lose close then get smashed, no matter how good the team is. Also, if you're both fighting for a playoff spot, it's hard to justify ranking your team higher then the other, if they crushed you.

There is probably a limit on how bad the team you lose to is though.

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no difference. Losing hurts, whether by 1 or 20, to anyone. Unless it's Illinois or Rutgers.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is this even a question? If he's asking just about how you feel as a fan, not the impact on your team, then it's not really a question. Losing to a scrub of course hits you harder because you don't even have that little voice saying at least you weren't embarrassed because it was a good team you lost to.

Cougs this morning now went from 6-0 and entertaining thoughts they might be good, to
tenor.gif

Because they got entirely undressed by a bad Cal team.

batchaps4me

Trolley conductor in Mr. Rogers' neighborhood.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMHO losing to a scrub is much worse. When you run into a better team you kind of know it going into the game. A loss to a scrub is a gut punch.

Mush

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,309.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
losing to a scrub means your team is mentally weak from the top down.

Losing to a good team means they are just better than you.

I'll take losing to a good team because I can figure that out easier than a bunch of mentally weak sum biches.