• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

World Series Champions, Texas Rangers 2023-2024 Offseason Thread

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone expect us to make a major trade in the next 2 or 3 weeks? I mean one that either includes 3 or 4 top 20 prospects, including 2 in the top 10, or one or more of our established veterans.

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which good relievers have been a dime a dozen since the latest CBA? Ones that a team has to acquire, that is. Not including home grown ones.
I didn't say good I meant relievers in general are a dime a dozen, of which some folks on here have agreed with that sentiment before. Just last year if I remember correctly...

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rays Robert Stephenson, is being linked to the Rangers.
He would make a great addition. He had one poor month this year and was fantastic otherwise.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't say good I meant relievers in general are a dime a dozen, of which some folks on here have agreed with that sentiment before. Just last year if I remember correctly...
Yes, poor relievers are a dime a dozen. Mediocre ones are fairly costly and good ones are kinda expensive. We need some more good ones.

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, poor relievers are a dime a dozen. Mediocre ones are fairly costly and good ones are kinda expensive. We need some more good ones.

There's no guarantee you'll manage to get any good one's anyway, the past is the past and they're only as good as they're currently pitching...

Besides after 2-3 bad outings some of the impatient folks here will want to trade them for a bag of used pucks anyway... :D

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's no guarantee you'll manage to get any good one's anyway, the past is the past and they're only as good as they're currently pitching...

Besides after 2-3 bad outings some of the impatient folks here will want to trade them for a bag of used pucks anyway... :D
I think a lot of GMs have disagreed with you in the past, and will continue to do so, as relievers have, and will continue, to get costly deals of more than one year.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Besides after 2-3 bad outings some of the impatient folks here will want to trade them for a bag of used pucks anyway..
Yep, impatience runs rampant on here at times as with all fan bases. It is true of relief pitchers, young starting pitchers, young infielders, young outfielders, and especially with young catchers.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, impatience runs rampant on here at times as with all fan bases. It is true of relief pitchers, young starting pitchers, young infielders, young outfielders, and especially with young catchers.
I think you would agree there has been a lot of patience with Leody. Going back we had more patience than I wanted

I don’t think the book is closed on Bradford and maybe not Huff. Ragans is closed.
No guarantees but we got a flag

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Buying relievers can be risky but Robert S was excellent last season. Reading up there’s injury history but if on he is a late inning addition

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many times in just this past year alone were many calling for Semien's and Garcia's head.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you would agree there has been a lot of patience with Leody. Going back we had more patience than I wanted

I don’t think the book is closed on Bradford and maybe not Huff. Ragans is closed.
No guarantees but we got a flag
I was mainly talking about the patience of fans.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many times in just this past year alone were many calling for Semien's and Garcia's head.
Yes, and folks were justifiably upset with them at times. The guys who go through very prolonged slumps really test all of us.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Buying relievers can be risky but Robert S was excellent last season. Reading up there’s injury history but if on he is a late inning addition
Yeah, they are risky, but then so are guys in other positions and other roles. You have to be smart about who you pick up. It is risky, but not the luck of the draw that a lot of fans think it is.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a lot of GMs have disagreed with you in the past, and will continue to do so, as relievers have, and will continue, to get costly deals of more than one year.

That bothers me not. It's the GMs job to make his team better but some seem to think that just because they spent an exorbitant amount of money it will automatically make their team a winner. You have to spend your "big" money wisely (you hope) and have a back up plan if that deal goes into the schitter (a decent minor league system and a bunch of reasonably priced role players). A lot of the big money I see spent isn't spent wisely with no backup plan in case it all goes to hell. In fact I think the majority of the big money deals turn out to be failures instead of successes (just ask the Angels, Padres and Mets). :D

Money spent on a player who has produced more than he's failed is one thing, money spent on a player who has mostly failed but had a few good months last year usually turns out to be a waste because most of the time they return to failing form....

"Ya spends your money ya takes your chances"...

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the only thing important about all those players is what the team thinks of them and decides to do with them...

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Money spent on a player who has produced more than he's failed is one thing, money spent on a player who has mostly failed but had a few good months last year usually turns out to be a waste because most of the time they return to failing form....
I agree with that. There are some exceptions, like Matt Moore switching roles and being nuch better in the new role. There are also guys who develop a new or better pitch or who discover a new workout regimen. Ragans comes to mind. Young guys often improve over their first 3 or 4 seasons, like Dane Dunning. Those are the exceptions, though.

Without something major changing, or a natural maturing in younger guys, guys often revert back to form following an outlier year. I tried to keep that in mind a couple of months ago, when I made my list of relievers I hoped the Rangers would consider for 2024.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Jared's chat this morning: