• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

wOBA

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy shit, doesn't anyone just try to pick the best player anymore? :wtf2:

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This whole sabermetrics stuff just blows my mind. One of my best friends loves discussign this shit, and I usually am singing a song in my head(or thinking of boobies and ass) as he talks. I look at their stats, both career and current season, when determining opinions on a player.

I get that sabermetrics can be useful, but some of it is just beyond my scope of caring.

Driaz

People are crazy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy shit, doesn't anyone just try to pick the best player anymore? :wtf2:

LOL.....more context is needed.....this has potential to be a good story!

I'm still learning wOBA and some of the other new "advanced" metrics.....I'm generally more skeptical of the newer metrics that aren't transparent in how they are calculated.....

I'm going to create a wDRIAZ stat and most D-Backs excel in this stat!!! :yahoo:

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the deal. I ran across a post where some guy said Freddie Freeman sucks because he has a low wOBA. Are you fucking kidding me? He's 23 years old, his potential is through the roof, and he sucks because his wOBA is low? I'm fairly certain the Freddie doesn't even know what wOBA is. I agree with Microwahevo that some of it is useful and kinda cool, but I just can't stand when people analyze things to death and strangle all the fun out of it.

That said, I think creating a wDRIAZ stat is an awesome idea. I thought about creating a wCHEF stat, but then I realized i'd have to use the Mets as my template. :lol:

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Try creating a wMICRO and having to use the Cubbies. Ugh. :(

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Try creating a wMICRO and having to use the Cubbies. Ugh. :(

Yeah, we're in the same boat there, bud. :)

But now that I think of it, can you tell me what the hell i'm supposed to do with Alfonso Soriano? He's like the ultimate tease; shows just enough that you don't want to drop him.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I stopped drafting him and picking him up off waivers two years ago. It's not worth the heartache. Same with Dunn. The homers don't give me the satisfaction I need after days of 0-fers and K's.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An excerpt from an article by Paul Forrester, SI.com:

On the other hand, wOBA applies a weighted value, measured in runs, to everything a hitter can do, and spits out a number that looks like any of the three in a typical slash line. The weight of hitter outcomes -- walks, hits by pitch, singles, doubles, triples and homers -- are determined using linear weights. In short, linear weights measure how many runs each of the above outcomes will produce depending on situation. Without getting too deep in the muck here, we can see that a single will generally produce fewer runs than a double, which will produce fewer runs than a home run. A homer may not be four times as valuable as a single. After all, a single with a man on third produces one run. A homer with a man on third produces two. But it always will be more valuable. Linear weights do an admirable job of capturing just how much more valuable a homer is than a single. And by using them to calculate wOBA, we have the best catchall stat for hitters that we could possibly get with the tools at hand.

Read More: Fantasy baseball Stat Focus: Miguel Cabrera's wOBA shows dominance - Fantasy Sports - Michael Beller - SI.com

I don't mean to denigrate this stuff, and I am a Bill James fan, but...is this not common sense?

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, it was Beller not Forrester.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a couple things in wOBA that i dont understand:
1. Why reaching on base on error is included
2. why HBP is included but not intentional walks
3. why Reached base on error is worth more than singles, NIBB, and HBP
4. the arbitrary values of each stat, there is no pattern i can see.

Besides that i like it... it is a more advanced Slugging percentage that does not overvalue power...

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My biggest problem besides the things i dont understand about wOBA is that as a person who likes statistics and creating my own formulas, i dont see how anyone would ever calculate this stat themselves... this is a stat that people are just going to look up... I think all statistics even the more advanced ones should be understood by the people that use it...

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just another stat to give the business to.

Each week, HighHeatStats.com will focus on one advanced statistic. This week: ERA+.
Throughout baseball history, changes in rules, changes in playing conditions and other factors have impacted the level of offensive output.
There was the American League's adoption of the designated hitter in 1973, the lowering of the pitcher's mound in 1969 and the end of the dead-ball era, circa 1920. Not to mention the 1893 modification of the distance between the pitcher's mound and home plate from 50 feet to 60 feet, 6 inches.
In addition to these and other factors affecting competition, you don't have to be a Colorado Rockies fan to know all ballparks were not created equally.
So it stands to reason comparing statistics from different eras and home ballparks doesn't exactly provide an apples-to-apples perspective. One stat that levels the playing field is ERA+, an invaluable measure that compares a pitcher's ERA to the league average and then makes an adjustment to account for park factors.
ERA+ helps us compare the run-prevention performance of a pitcher from the 1910s to one from the 1990s with a handy metric in which 100 represents league average.
Here are a few examples of how ERA+ can help us compare pitchers from different run-scoring environments:
The Los Angeles Dodgers' Chris Capuano posted a 3.72 ERA in 2012, good for an ERA+ of 102 (2% better than average). By contrast, in the hitter-friendly American League of 1996, the Baltimore Orioles' Mike Mussina had a raw ERA more than a run higher at 4.81, yet this translates to a slightly better 103 ERA+.
Pedro Martinez's career ERA of 2.93 is more than a run higher than all-time leader Ed Walsh's 1.82 mark. But since Walsh pitched in the dead-ball era and Martinez played during the hitter-friendly turn of the millennium, Martinez has a 154-to-145 career ERA+ advantage.
Even within a particular season, ERA+ can make it easier to compare. Last year, pitching in an offense-neutral park, the Washington Nationals' Gio Gonzalez recorded a 2.89 ERA, good for a 136 ERA+. In the higher-scoring American League, in a hitter's park, the Texas Rangers' Matt Harrison's 3.29 ERA was equal to Gonzalez's, also resulting in a 136 ERA+.