• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

With reallignment come new rivalries

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know guys. The Wizards' name is almost as beloved in this city as the team itself. ;)

(Random note - I once met Wes Unseld in a Sizzler near my hometown. Watching that guy trying to reach under the sneeze guard of the salad bar was rather comical.)

Wes lived/lives in my Aunt's neighborhood and we used to see him at the community pool. He is a GINORMOUS man.

Also, I've only ever had a Pittsburgh fan take a swing at me at the arena - the true measure of a real rivalry.

Then Sens/Philly is a rivalry because I was in a Sens Jersey the night of the 419 penalty minute brouhaha. Many people in Orange did not like that.

I never realized transplanted Marylander Ohioans were so full of unprovoked hatred for the worlds greatest city.

And their pizza is better.

I have no issue at all with Sydney Australia.

I doubt their pizza is very good though.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I personally think it's the Montreal Canadiens vs Toronto Maple Leafs, the 2 oldest teams, the teams with the most Stanley Cups, and the teams with the most passionate fans.

Really?!?

Ask Montreal fans who their biggest rival is. I doubt it would be Toronto.

Ask Toronto fans the same question. Definitely won't be Montreal.

The post you responded to said biggest CURRENT rivalry. The fact that the Leafs have 13 Cups (coincidentally, none in the 46 years since expansion) has absolutely no bearing on the current state of their rivalry.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really?!?

The post you responded to said biggest CURRENT rivalry. The fact that the Leafs have 13 Cups (coincidentally, none in the 46 years since expansion) has absolutely no bearing on the current state of their rivalry.

Montreal's rival is Boston. Has been since before most of our parents were born. Legendary battles for as long as I can remember.

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or it could have a little something to do with the fact that the owner of the Flyers also owns the two networks that show national television games in the US.

That comment and how it only goes back to 94 are all I needed to see that he really doesn't know much besides what he sees on TV and no longer need to discuss this topic with him

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or it could have a little something to do with the fact that the owner of the Flyers also owns the two networks that show national television games in the US.

But then wouldn't the owner of the Flyers broadcast the Flyers' rivalry with the Devils, Rangers, Bruins, or Islanders as often as they broadcast the Flyers & Penguins' rivalry? Why pick the rivalry with the Penguins out of all teams to feature on national television whenever the 2 play head to head? I think there is something special about the Flyers & Penguins to make them choose that rivalry over all others.

Last edited by a moderator:

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That comment and how it only goes back to 94 are all I needed to see that he really doesn't know much besides what he sees on TV and no longer need to discuss this topic with him

Okay, don't discuss the topic with me then.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really?!?

They might pick Boston, Detroit, or Ottawa, but the historical facts I stated cannot be denied. Those are the 2 oldest teams, most Stanley Cups, and the 2 most hockey crazy cities in the world. Although their rivalry may not be what it used to be, it's an all time historical rivalry, much like the Bears & Packers in the NFL or the Celtics & Lakers in the NBA.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But then wouldn't the owner of the Flyers broadcast the Flyers' rivalry with the Devils, Rangers, Bruins, or Islanders as often as they broadcast the Flyers & Penguins' rivalry? Why pick the rivalry with the Penguins out of all teams to feature on national television whenever the 2 play head to head? I think there is something special about the Flyers & Penguins to make them choose that rivalry over all others.

Their programming choices basically consist of Flyers vs. [Insert Team Here]

You have to look at simple facts before you jump to conclusions. So we'll go team-by-team here:
- Devils: Not nearly the national following of the Pens. This is putting aside any talk of rivalries, etc. Simply speaking of total following. The Pens have a much larger national fan base. Period.
- Islanders: See Devils above. Also, the Islanders have been poor to mediocre for many years now.
- Bruins: Not sure why they're even in the conversation. They're just as far away from Philly as Pittsburgh and are/were not in the same division.
- Rangers: The Rangers are owned by the same company that owns the TV network that shows their games. The Rangers getting on national TV may benefit the bottom-line of the TEAM, but it hurts the bottom line of the broader corporate entity, so they're resistant to let their games be picked up by other networks. Even still, the Rangers and the Pens had the same number of national games vs. Philly last year, as did the Sabres and Devils.
- Penguins: Have been one of the best teams in hockey for the last 7 years and feature one of the best individual players - and one with the largest name recognition to non-diehard hockey fans - in the world.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They might pick Boston, Detroit, or Ottawa, but the historical facts I stated cannot be denied. Those are the 2 oldest teams, most Stanley Cups, and the 2 most hockey crazy cities in the world. Although their rivalry may not be what it used to be, it's an all time historical rivalry, much like the Bears & Packers in the NFL or the Celtics & Lakers in the NBA.

What part of the word CURRENT was confusing to you? The question you responded to clearly used the word current. I clearly used the word current. And yet you persist in citing history from almost a half century ago to support your assertion that - even though "their rivalry may not be what it used to be" - it's still somehow the best current rivalry.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What part of the word CURRENT was confusing to you? The question you responded to clearly used the word current. I clearly used the word current. And yet you persist in citing history from almost a half century ago to support your assertion that - even though "their rivalry may not be what it used to be" - it's still somehow the best current rivalry.

Hmm, if it's current rivalries, I'll obviously go with the Flyers & Penguins, but otherwise, I guess I would go with Devils & Rangers. Although most of it is based on their 1994 ECF match up & proximity, they also got Avery taunting Brodeur, and their 2012 ECF match up.

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what happens when ESPN close

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What does everyone think of the Panthers vs Lightning rivalry? I think that has got some potential. 2 Florida teams, neither one is really good right now but they both got young superstars that could take them places in the future. Both also have very underrated jerseys IMO.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really?!?

I decided, I don't care what fans of other teams think anymore. Most people have short term memories & discount history. I'm not like that, I think history is very important to a rivalry. Therefore, I maintain my position that the Montreal Canadiens & Toronto Maple Leafs is by far the great rivalry in the history of the NHL.

Doob wins :suds:

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I decided, I don't care what fans of other teams think anymore. Most people have short term memories & discount history. I'm not like that, I think history is very important to a rivalry. Therefore, I maintain my position that the Montreal Canadiens & Toronto Maple Leafs is by far the great rivalry in the history of the NHL.

Doob wins :suds:

Damn it. Who told the new guy the secret rule about declaring yourself the winner being irreversible.

Well played, sir.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn it. Who told the new guy the secret rule about declaring yourself the winner being irreversible.

Well played, sir.

That rule was reversed in July. I win.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An immobile force meets an irreversible object. :noidea:

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well played, sir.

Why thank you sir, I figured that was the go to move in this case.