• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wisenhunt to Lions done deal?

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm reading that Rod Graves was the AZ GM at the time, and had full power over draft and FA. Here's a weird comment from him about Kolb.

Former GM Rod Graves discusses Arizona Cardinals and NFL Draft, Kevin Kolb - Revenge of the Birds

Regarding Kolb, he subtly placed the blame for Kolb's performance, or lack thereof, on Ken Whisenhunt and the previous offensive staff.

He pointed out the obvious fact that the team need to keep Kolb healthy. Then he pointed to adapting to his supposed skill set.

"I think that Kevin is a guy that has ability, but the coaching staff has got to be willing to adapt to what he's capable of doing," he said. "I think he's more of a West Coast-style type of quarterback."

So the GM brought a guy in and expected his HC to change his whole offensive scheme to the West Coast? And when this failed he blames everyone but himself? He also says "the team need to keep Kolb healthy" yet ignored the O-line the whole time he was GM. Interesting.

Hard to see why Graves works for the Jets now. Seems like a great guy.

I think the downfall for Kolb and KW in Arizona was the total inability to get offensive lineman. A strong line Beanie Wells is a stud and Kolb or Skelton is serviceable throwing to Fitz. You miss on some tackles in FA and the draft and you are screwed.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm reading that Rod Graves was the AZ GM at the time, and had full power over draft and FA. Here's a weird comment from him about Kolb.

Former GM Rod Graves discusses Arizona Cardinals and NFL Draft, Kevin Kolb - Revenge of the Birds

Regarding Kolb, he subtly placed the blame for Kolb's performance, or lack thereof, on Ken Whisenhunt and the previous offensive staff.

He pointed out the obvious fact that the team need to keep Kolb healthy. Then he pointed to adapting to his supposed skill set.

"I think that Kevin is a guy that has ability, but the coaching staff has got to be willing to adapt to what he's capable of doing," he said. "I think he's more of a West Coast-style type of quarterback."

So the GM brought a guy in and expected his HC to change his whole offensive scheme to the West Coast? And when this failed he blames everyone but himself? He also says "the team need to keep Kolb healthy" yet ignored the O-line the whole time he was GM. Interesting.

Hard to see why Graves works for the Jets now. Seems like a great guy.

Graves was, in my opinion, the worst GM in football. I was extremely happy when he got canned. Although he was the final stamp on all moves, he regularly took the recomentations of his coaches. He was literally a "do nothing" GM. His longtime friendship with Bill Bidwell is what kept him in AZ for so long.

Wiz was determined to fix the AZ oline issues when he got there which is why he brought Russ Grimm as his oc / oline coach. Wiz's first big splash was he made a big push to draft Levi Brown at tackle with the 5th overall pick (he was a projected third round talent). Keep in mind the entire fan-base and media were screaming for the team to draft Adrian Peterson who went two picks later. That was a train wreck. Levi's career Cardinal nickname was the human turn-style.

In terms of Kolb. It was well know in the local media that Wiz was pushing hard to get Kolb. He acknowleged his injury issues and vowed to get the oline up to par to protect him. Wiz sold himself as a guru who could develop young QB's. He was never able to with Leinart so he wanted to prove himself with Kolb. Well Kolb was never healthy enough to play so i can't really blame Wiz for that one. Again Wiz is really good at managing talent. He never get's too high or too low. He is just not a coach I would want to rebuild a franchise. Detroit has a lot of pieces in place which is why I think Wiz might fit the bill there.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where is this info that hes coming to Detroit?

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see Detroit wait till after the SB, What's the rule on interviewing coaches from teams that are still in contention?

Do they have to get permission from the team or is it illegal?

The point I'm making is I wan't a coach on a Winner not a retread recycled coach that has been on a loser and knows how to lose.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who you calling a ox?

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see Detroit wait till after the SB, What's the rule on interviewing coaches from teams that are still in contention?

Do they have to get permission from the team or is it illegal?

The point I'm making is I wan't a coach on a Winner not a retread recycled coach that has been on a loser and knows how to lose.

So being the O Coordinator for a Super Bowl winner and being the HC for a Super Bowl Loser doesn't count?

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where is this info that hes coming to Detroit?

Lions.com's Tim Twentyman considers Chargers OC Ken Whisenhunt the favorite to land Detroit's head-coaching job.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport previously reported the Lions' interest in Whiz was "very strong," and GM Martin Mayhew has already been exploring references of the onetime Cardinals head coach. Unfortunately, the Lions will have to wait for the Chargers' playoff run to end to formally interview Whisenhunt.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately, the Lions will have to wait for the Chargers' playoff run to end to formally interview Whisenhunt.
Guess that means SD didn't give us the right to interview him. That's the only way we can interview him now.

:suds:Here's to hoping for a short SD playoff run.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or.... Detroit hasn't asked them. It's not going to be a very long wait.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So being the O Coordinator for a Super Bowl winner and being the HC for a Super Bowl Loser doesn't count?

I guess I didn't clarify, Was thinking about the OC and DC Wisenhut would bring in if he were hired.....I want Winners not recycled coaches from proven perennial losers.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am sure Wisenhunt made plenty of errors in Pitts, AZ and SD. It happens. Hopefully he learned from those experiences and is bringing that to us.

Plus having a coach we can call "Wiz" appeals to me.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I didn't clarify, Was thinking about the OC and DC Wisenhut would bring in if he were hired.....I want Winners not recycled coaches from proven perennial losers.

Some of those loser HCs are great OC/DC. Look at Moronelli.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No question about it. McCoy is the only coach in the NFL to make Tim Tebow look good.

So, what is the dynamic between Whiz and McCoy in SD? Is Whiz fully in charge of the offense/running his own scheme, Or is he just assisting, relaying plays for McCoy's offense, Or is it something in between?

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll also stick with my comments from earlier in the season in concern to this Lions team blitzing. Who should do it? Other than when Delmas was blitzing, there were major handicaps on pass coverage and/or susceptibility to draws.

That's the risk inherent when any team blitzes, regardless of personnel. You're sending an extra rusher, so the pass coverage is inevitably weaker. As for who would blitz for us Delmas and Quin have both shown ability from the safety position, Carey and Bentley had some effective blitzes from the slot, and Tully has been a capable blitzer for us since he's been a Lion...

Imo, we have the pieces to do it, it just comes down to scheme and execution...

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the risk inherent when any team blitzes, regardless of personnel. You're sending an extra rusher, so the pass coverage is inevitably weaker. As for who would blitz for us Delmas and Quin have both shown ability from the safety position, Carey and Bentley had some effective blitzes from the slot, and Tully has been a capable blitzer for us since he's been a Lion...

Imo, we have the pieces to do it, it just comes down to scheme and execution...

I agree that every team takes a risk when they blitz. I just see the Lions, as they previously and currently are assembled, as too thin in coverage personal and too lacking in strong tacklers to have consistent success with a high volume of blitz packages. For instance with Tully, if you send him, you're best tackler is out of position. (7 sacks in three seasons. Career high 3.5 this season). If you send Levy, you lose coverage skills against RBs and TEs. I know the talking heads like to babble about how Detroit has Super Bowl talent, I don't agree. The defense is still far too thin and the secondary especially is not at a level to compete for the ultimate goal. If an OLB or an undersized OlB/big safety is drafted who can fill the blitzing role Id be happy to change my stance. But right now, I don't fault the past regime for running stunts at the line over committing players to the blitz. (Stunts/games are just as risky, we just have more talent and depth on DLine than elsewhere on the defensive side.)

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Lions are close to a SB talent team. I was hoping a couple guys would step up and it didn't happen. From my POV we need 3 players to make this team a real contender. A strong WR2, a solid CB1 and a K. If we can improve beyond that all the better (C, OLB, S, T). But we aren't too far off. Honestly a better coach and we'd likely be hosting a playoff game right now with a decent chance at a run. (I think Schwartz and Linehan alone cost us at a minimum 1 game probably 4 or 5).