• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Winsipedia

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So every site that quotes football stats are in trouble because they are stealing other's stats?

I guess every university should sue ESPN or every other football site that posts stats about their football, basketball, soccer, lacrosse, or women's volleyball team then, right?

If I sit at a public event and take stats, it is not my "information" to sell, much less protect. Every college football game is held in a public arena, and therefore any statistics or information taken from those games are of public domain. The only part in question would be the broadcasting of the event.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TV programs are broadcast across the air all the time. It's illegal to tape them and broadcast them as your own. Because something is free, does not mean you are free to do whatever you like with it. Regardless, it's a scummy thing to do to take somebody's work and post it as your own. If it were the cancer, at least you can say you're trying to cure people. What justification do people have for claiming others work as their own on football stats? How tough is it to say where you got it and to give credit where credit is due?
again public knowledge is public knowledge, this is different than rebroadcasting something.
I can tell you who was in the big bowls last year and who won. I can tell you all of Oregon's BCS bowls and 1000 yard rushers. its public knowledge. i could go to about 100 sites and find this information. i can go to the schools sites and find it. i can go to the public library and search news archives and find it. it isnt illegal nor is it morally wrong. it isn't stealing someone elses work

boxedlunch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So every site that quotes football stats are in trouble because they are stealing other's stats?

I guess every university should sue ESPN or every other football site that posts stats about their football, basketball, soccer, lacrosse, or women's volleyball team then, right?

If I sit at a public event and take stats, it is not my "information" to sell, much less protect. Every college football game is held in a public arena, and therefore any statistics or information taken from those games are of public domain. The only part in question would be the broadcasting of the event.

I didn't say they were "in trouble", I said it's pretty scummy to steal someone's work without crediting them.

boxedlunch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
again public knowledge is public knowledge, this is different than rebroadcasting something.
I can tell you who was in the big bowls last year and who won. I can tell you all of Oregon's BCS bowls and 1000 yard rushers. its public knowledge. i could go to about 100 sites and find this information. i can go to the schools sites and find it. i can go to the public library and search news archives and find it. it isnt illegal nor is it morally wrong. it isn't stealing someone elses work

Researching BCS bowls and 1000 yard rushers doesn't take long. Entering hundred of thousand of data pieced takes months. To have somebody copy it and use it as their own is low. I suppose you're the type to copy movies and music and trade it with your friends.