• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Winning is such sweet sorrow

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crickets on the board this morning. Imagine a world where Bradford is a great QB. Chip is a great coach. Davis is a great DC. The OL is dominant. Turns out ya'll find that just plain boring and only want to discuss games where they lose. I am sure this will illicit some responses, but the typical ones will be along the line of the Saints suck.

SixthStreet

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't speak for the rest of the board, but for me there wasn't much overreaction to the Falcons loss, and correspondingly don't have much reaction to the Saints win. I'm in a show me state of mind. We'll find out in the next couple of games which way the season is headed in.

djm

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they lack a lot of confidence and offensive leadership. I think they won very convincingly yesterday and that should help a lot.

Next week will be a good test. It isn't that I think the sky is falling it is just that I am not sure which team will show up. :D

DaEagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothings changed for me.

I will look at the combined 5 weeks so far, not just one game.

So far, Bradford sucks ass and Chips done a shitty job, our OL has been fucking brutal, we miss Mathis more then some will ever want to say.

Iron Eagle

Nostril flare expert.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dave ....you could start a conversation that isn't based in giving the rest of us grief over not meeting your bullshit standards of fandom.

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The expectations for this team were high. That is why the frustration levels have been ignited!

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's just an ass.

Susky

Better late than never
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing's as good or as bad as it looks. Douchebags will also be douchebags.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't see a play. Were the Birds good or the Saints just this bad? How did Sam look?

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, it is hard to tell how much was the Saints just being that bad--this was a battle of 1-3 teams after all--but the Eagles did look better in terms of winning the battles up front on both offense and defense.

The receivers continued dropping easy balls and Sam Bradford threw two end zone picks that were brutal, which led the Eagles to only go into halftime up 3 despite dominating the entire first half.

But the running game got going, they helped move the chains, and that made a big difference in this outcome.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol. Uniting in hatred of something (or someone) seems to be the favorite hobby here. We all enjoy calling someone a douche. :) We are now on day three and still no one has started a new thread discussing the win. Kind of proves the point.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So why do you post here if you hate to be surrounded by haters? Are you a closet Negadelphian?

Is this your cross to bear, sort of like your endless defense of Tim Tebow?

Last edited:

djm

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are now on day three and still no one has started a new thread discussing the win.

Does it need another thread? I think everyone is happy about the win but we all want to see that type of play more consistently. We have the Giants and Panthers so we will know where we are as a team soon.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So why do you post here if you hate to be surrounded by haters? Are you a closet Negadelphian?

Is this your cross to bear, sort of like your endless defense of Tim Tebow?

Bottom line is I like talking football. I also find it interesting to be introspective and study human behavior. I saw one of those commercials recently about retirement where they made the point that people like to think optimistically and aren't realistic about bad things happening in the future. I have always generally been a positive thinker myself.

But on this board (and if you read alot of stuff on others as well), you tend to see alot of negative thinking, and I am somewhat intrigued by why? I would like to understand why everyone disappears on a win week and has a ton of opinions to offer after a loss?

My theory is that people like to discuss losses as they can point to all the idiot things that happen and feel good about themselves as they are obviously way smarter than the professionals who really messed this thing up. After all with the benefit of hindsight, we can make much better decisions that the pros did. It's a bit of reverse positive thinking thing where we feel good about ourselves even though we feel bad for the team. Being a sports fan then is a win win. If our team wins, we can share in the glory of the team we support. If they lose, we can feel good about our intellectual superiority.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People wanted to be right about this season going up in flames. And now they're not so sure so there isn't much for some to say. They need to come to grips with how wrong they were. Then their egos may allow them to discuss the week's game. They'll get there. Just like the Eagles are getting there.

Iron Eagle

Nostril flare expert.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if I were being complimentary... Having Sam take more snaps from under center seemed to help with the run game.

It was good to have thornton back. Hicks is looking like a nice pick.

Boykin is looking like a real flop in Pittsburgh.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, the bad thing about Boykin not playing is that we probably won't get the pick moved up to a 4th. I hate to say it, but hopefully the Stillers will have an injury or something, and he will have to play. I think he has to play at least 60% of the time in order to improve the pick.

ErkTheJerk

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, the bad thing about Boykin not playing is that we probably won't get the pick moved up to a 4th. I hate to say it, but hopefully the Stillers will have an injury or something, and he will have to play. I think he has to play at least 60% of the time in order to improve the pick.

Please stay on-topic! The discussion on hand is 'why aren't we giddy about winning the 'Struggler's Bowl?:dhd:'.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the way Dave, we do have to "imagine a world where Sam Bradford is a great QB." Because in the real world, he is a mediocre at best NFL QB.

We also have to "imagine a world" in which Billy Davis is the second coming of Buddy Ryan and Jim Johnson as a defensive coordinator.

And...we also have to "imagine a world" in which Dave is not a sanctimonious know-it-all jackass!

In this world, apparently, Tim Tebow is also an NFL quarterback.

L.Freamon

Formerly FWFW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bottom line is I like talking football. I also find it interesting to be introspective and study human behavior. I saw one of those commercials recently about retirement where they made the point that people like to think optimistically and aren't realistic about bad things happening in the future. I have always generally been a positive thinker myself.

But on this board (and if you read alot of stuff on others as well), you tend to see alot of negative thinking, and I am somewhat intrigued by why? I would like to understand why everyone disappears on a win week and has a ton of opinions to offer after a loss?

My theory is that people like to discuss losses as they can point to all the idiot things that happen and feel good about themselves as they are obviously way smarter than the professionals who really messed this thing up. After all with the benefit of hindsight, we can make much better decisions that the pros did. It's a bit of reverse positive thinking thing where we feel good about ourselves even though we feel bad for the team. Being a sports fan then is a win win. If our team wins, we can share in the glory of the team we support. If they lose, we can feel good about our intellectual superiority.
^^over analysis^^

Some of us have been posting together since the beginning of the Reid regime. In those early days, we posted a lot more after wins. Since that time, we've been waiting for all the winning to consummate a championship.

Expectations for this organization have been high for 15+ years. We're used to winning. The bar starts at beating bad teams. So when that's done, there's not much analysis in that.