• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Will we get Quinn's, Bevell's, and Cable's undivided attention for the next 2 weeks?

droider

Human NFL Almanac and College Football Insider
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously Quinn is already the Falcons' coach and will be solidifying that tomorrow with his 2nd interview, but what happens after that with his time?

Bevell quietly interviewed for two different HC jobs and Cable for OC jobs during the first open period for interviews.

Now there's another open week for interviews beginning tomorrow.

Our offense has played 2 quality quarters out of 8 in the playoffs. I think all the interviewing has really taken away the focus. Of course that's the nature of the beast, but we need all hands on deck to have any kind of hope against the Pats. They don't take their feet off the gas pedal.

BoBlake

Hoopla Cash
$ 937.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL....nothing to worry about man.

Seattle beats you with performance on the field by better players. Our defensive scheme is a vanilla as you can get in the NFL.

So much negativity out of you today. R.E.L.A.X.

They got this...and if nothing else, a SB winning coach will demand more money so they have that extra motivation too.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think bevell has playcalled himself out of being a HC. He completely abandoned what got us to the nfccg and went pass happy when it wasnt necessary. And it failed miserably.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could care less what happens with our defensive coordinator. That's gotta be the easiest job of all time with Seattle's freak defense. The last thing I would do is leave that position. Just mail in those plays, call a blitz when your excel spreadsheet randomly selects it, and grab a beer.

Special teams can take a hike. Worst part of our team by far this year (wouldn't be surprised if Seattle makes a move to grab Montgomery out of Stanford so we have some semblance of a return game).

Offensive.... oh Bevell. What do we do with you? I guess Bevell can leave if he wants. I have a much bigger problem losing an offensive coordinator than the other 2. It CAN set back your QB (although Wilson is too much of a student) and can disrupt some rhythm. Offense is all about timing... and bringing in a new O coord can hurt that some.

Seattle is winning right now and our offense is 'okay' given the TERRIBLE tools we have to work with. Willson is not a start on > 50% of the NFL teams, our receivers are #3/4 on most teams, and our O-Line has been rocky. The only amazing player on O outside of our QB is Lynch. And the fact Bevell has made this team 12-4 with that (and 13-3 SBOWL winners) is pretty remarkable.

I'd take another year of Bevell happily. If he leaves, at least we have the right QB to lead our O with a new playbook.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since Quinn's apparent deal with Atlanta hasn't been and can't be made official until after the Super Bowl now, there's still an opportunity for him to blow it if he mails it in and fails to prepare the defense for New England. I have no idea what the level of interest has been in Bevell league-wide, but my guess is that his margin for error is significantly smaller than Quinn's considering that he doesn't appear to have a job in hand at the moment like Quinn apparently does. His side of the ball has been so up-and-down the past couple of years compared to the consistency of the defense that he doesn't have the luxury to not give full effort in preparing his guys. I have no idea what Cable's prospects were or are, but I'm sure he's drawing interest from someone in need of an offensive coordinator at least.

droider

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least the Falcons front office had to come here today to meet with Quinn again.

Pats are going to run a lot of hurry up and no huddle against us, so Pete needs as much help with the defensive gameplan as possible.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't worry about the focus of the players because of coaches being involved in interviews. They didn't struggle this game because of the coaches. Presnap penalties, bad snaps, Wilson making seriously dumb pass attempts into double coverage, Baldwin showing why they really need to take a knee on every kickoff in the SB :gaah:... There are lots of reasons to spread the blame around to the players themselves.

I'm nearly as baffled at the anti-Bevell sentiment on this site as the 9'ers were against Harbaugh when Seattle is currently the most dominating team in the sport with him at the helm. I really don't get it. Some want to blame him for the play calling in the game and then give ALL of the credit for the comeback on the players. If he doesn't make the right calls all the way down that stretch they don't score all THREE of the TD's they had to for that comeback to work. It was on all of them.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, these guys will be focused. They worked too hard to get here and bow out or be unfocused.

droider

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just want to see a much better prepared team in 2 weeks who's ready to go at opening kickoff. We simply won't beat the Pats playing 1 good quarter on offense. We've now done that in both playoff games thus far.

Cable needs to ride the OL like he's never done before. Like always, we're just drowning in penalties. And Bevell needs to create an adaptable offensive gameplan that can both play from behind and quicken the pace if needed. And mix in more throws on 1st and 2nd downs, especially play action. And more read options for Wilson. We've just been way too vanilla until we're basically forced to change things up. I want to see a proactive offense who plays with a sense of urgency.

On defense I'm really worried about our DL and the non-existant pass rush. I understand that we don't blitz often so a lot is on their shoulders, but we're going to need to mix in more packages and line stunts.

They'll need to assign different guys to Gronk depending upon if he lines up on the end or in the slot. Obviously Kam is going to be critical backing up either of those guys. And corners will have to constantly play up because Brady loves to dink and dunk. Sherman is comfortable doing so, but Maxwell not so much. Pats WR's are also constantly crossing and picking, so it's a big chore.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:lame:

I'm nearly as baffled at the anti-Bevell sentiment on this site as the 9'ers were against Harbaugh when Seattle is currently the most dominating team in the sport with him at the helm. I really don't get it. Some want to blame him for the play calling in the game and then give ALL of the credit for the comeback on the players. If he doesn't make the right calls all the way down that stretch they don't score all THREE of the TD's they had to for that comeback to work. It was on all of them.

Bevell is a big reason why we were in such a hole to begin with. waaaaay too many passing plays, and not good ones. completely gave up on the run early in the game because we were averaging 3 yards a carry. he has done that repeatedly throughout his time with us but it has happened more so this year than any other year I can remember.

and thats just the tip of the ice burg. the harvin debacle was completely his fault, i dont have any proof but I can guarantee he begged the team to make that trade. then he calls all the highschool plays that everyone knows will not work in the NFL more than a few times. and he calls them repeatedly.

I blame the san diego loss on him (6 carries for lynch?) and the cowboys loss on him as well (jet sweep to brian walters when you need a game winning drive? are you fucking serious?)

the guy is a total joke, cant call a game to save his life. wilson and lynch make the offense go, just about anyone could call a better game than bevell.

hell, the guy before him put up 44 points on the defending SB champs with an old hasselbeck and a slow mike williams.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bevell is a big reason why we were in such a hole to begin with. waaaaay too many passing plays, and not good ones. completely gave up on the run early in the game because we were averaging 3 yards a carry.

I didn't see it that way. Looked like a balanced attack to me to start the game:

1-10 run 3 yards
2-7 short pass - incomplete
3-7 short pass - interception

1-10 run 3 yards
2-7 pass - sack
3-10 short pass - incomplete

1-10 False start
1-15 run 4 yards
2-11 run 4 yards
3-7 short pass - incomplete

1-10 deep pass -interception

1-10 run 5 yards
2-5 run 3 yards
3-2 run 14 yards
1-10 run 5 yards
2-5 run 4 yards
3-1 run 1 yard
1-10 short pass - incomplete
2-10 run 3 yards
3-7 short pass - complete - 14 yards
1-10 run 2 yards
2-8 run 0 yards
3-8 deep pass intercepted

1-10 sack
2-11 false start
2-16 short pass - complete - -2 yards

So, at half time we ran the ball 13 times and passed 11 times. Especially after the second pick, the Hawks just pounded the ball 9 times out of their remaining 14 plays - even when they were in long down situations. Hell, we even started the 3rd with 3 straight runs.

Wilson starts anything but 2-9-12-0-3 with 2 sacks, and the play calling would have looked just fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hell, the guy before him put up 44 points on the defending SB champs with an old hasselbeck and a slow mike williams.

You call for more runs and then use as an example a game where Hasselbeck dropped back 37 times (of 61 plays), threw for 272 yards and 4 TDs?

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't see it that way. Looked like a balanced attack to me to start the game:

1-10 run 3 yards
2-7 short pass - incomplete
3-7 short pass - interception

1-10 run 3 yards
2-7 pass - sack
3-10 short pass - incomplete

1-10 False start
1-15 run 4 yards
2-11 run 4 yards
3-7 short pass - incomplete

1-10 deep pass -interception

1-10 run 5 yards
2-5 run 3 yards
3-2 run 14 yards
1-10 run 5 yards
2-5 run 4 yards
3-1 run 1 yard
1-10 short pass - incomplete
2-10 run 3 yards
3-7 short pass - complete - 14 yards
1-10 run 2 yards
2-8 run 0 yards
3-8 deep pass intercepted

1-10 sack
2-11 false start
2-16 short pass - complete - -2 yards

So, at half time we ran the ball 13 times and passed 11 times. Especially after the second pick, the Hawks just pounded the ball 9 times out of their remaining 14 plays - even when they were in long down situations. Hell, we even started the 3rd with 3 straight runs.

Wilson starts anything but 2-9-12-0-3 with 2 sacks, and the play calling would have looked just fine.

You make my point for me. When we stick to the run our offense moved, then we throw a pic. Every other drive we gave up on running it and went 3 and out by throwing the ball. You can give a tally for the half, but 9 of those 13 runs came on one drive. Not good play selection.

As far as the other game with matt, it was a different offense. Our OC back then, Jeremy Bates, was a better play caller without doubt. He may not have been great, but he makes greg knapp and bevell look like real turds.

More proof that i am right, bevell will not sniff a head coach job. Not this year, not ever.

Last edited by a moderator:

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You make my point for me. When we stick to the run our offense moved, then we throw a pic. Every other drive we gave up on running it and went 3 and out by throwing the ball.

As far as the other game with matt, it was a different offense. Our OC back then, Jeremy Bates, was a better play caller without doubt. He may not have been great, but he makes greg knapp and bevell look like real turds

How much should they have run it? Is Wilson so horrible throwing the ball that you felt he'd throw 3 interceptions in the first half if he threw the ball 45% of the time?

As far as the other game goes, EXACTLY, it was a different offense with a different scheme that had one of the worst running games in the NFL (with Beast Mode) and was ranked in the bottom third in overall offense (23rd scoring, 28th yardage). So what's the point of comparing the two performances?

Since Bevell has been OC, this offense has scored 30 or more 19 times in 4 years (4, 4, 6, 5 respectively) in 71 games, better than 1 in 4 - and that doesn't even count the 10 other games where they scored 27 to 29 points. That's 29 games with 27 or more points, in which the team is 26-3. Not bad for a running team.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How much should they have run it? Is Wilson so horrible throwing the ball that you felt he'd throw 3 interceptions in the first half if he threw the ball 45% of the time?

As far as the other game goes, EXACTLY, it was a different offense with a different scheme that had one of the worst running games in the NFL (with Beast Mode) and was ranked in the bottom third in overall offense (23rd scoring, 28th yardage). So what's the point of comparing the two performances?

Since Bevell has been OC, this offense has scored 30 or more 19 times in 4 years (4, 4, 6, 5 respectively) in 71 games, better than 1 in 4 - and that doesn't even count the 10 other games where they scored 27 to 29 points. That's 29 games with 27 or more points, in which the team is 26-3. Not bad for a running team.

With the game playing out like it did, they should have run it more in the series where they went run pass pass. Wilson was having a bad day, should have stopped with the deep routes and gone for more dink and dunk outside the pocket stuff.

Its not just bevell giving up on the run, its the pass plays he does call. They looked desperate when they had no reason to be.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think bevell has playcalled himself out of being a HC. He completely abandoned what got us to the nfccg and went pass happy when it wasnt necessary. And it failed miserably.

WOW lmao, Seattle threw the ball 9 times in the first half that would put them on pace for 18. Now they threw it 20 times in the second half but hey they were down 16 to nothing, nada, zero. You going to blame Bevell for Russell Wilson playing his worst game of his career? you also going to blame Bevell for Kearses inability to catch a pass and knocking balls into the air for Picks? Or will you blame him for the close to 200 yards passing and 120 yards rushing that the Hawks put up in a quarter and a half and the 28 points?

Of all the people to blame for the Hawks game this past Sunday Bevell is not one of them, He doesn't throw the ball out there, he doesn't catch it and he can not make the players execute. I use to be a blind Bevell hater then i actually watched the all 22 tapes and it opened my eyes. Also when your offense is in the top 10 for 3 years in a row with a running offense and top 2 most of last year before they ran into a shit ton of great defenses to end the season then you really got to look at the other area's. Seattle had a Oline ranking of 32nd in pass protection and 24th in run blocking by i believe football focus or some other place that sando had linked near the end of this season. We need that cleaned up. They Need to get some help on that oline, clean house if you have to but these guys are not getting it done.

I believe they have talent there so then it falls on Cable. Get these guys playing better or get a new Oline coach, it's that simple. Run blocking is the easiest part of their job but they miss assignments and have pre snap penalties way WAY to much. Now after saying that, the Hawks oline played ok last Sunday and i wont take that away from them. I expect them to play at that level or better EVERY week but it never happens. They have 1 good game then back it up normally with a handful of bad ones.

Some of you need to bury this hatchet you got for Bevell. His offense allows us to be #1 in rushing and a top 10 scoring offense to go with a defense that is #1 in points against and yards. Oh and just to put this out there, he is a million times better than any of us could be as a OC believe it or not. lmao

Sad thing is other teams see what he is doing and it's why he keeps getting interviews. The only reason he is still here is because most teams want their guy ASAP and when you make it to the super bowl teams 9 times out of 10 can't wait. They want to get things started. Defensive minded coaches going to a team that all ready has a solid offense are the ones that teams can wait a little longer on.

Please i beg anyone that Hates Bevell like i did you go watch all 18 games in the all 22 coaches film. You will just resign and say "well heck look how wrong i was, people open all over the place wtf" lol. I did when i saw it. It made me sick to my stomach actually, i lost my punching bag and my scapegoat for all that i thought was wrong with the Hawks.